Where do we see box prices of 2021-22 product going?

TAB1980

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Trent
Hi guys

Bit early in the new season but so far we're seeing Hoops Hobby selling for less than $200USD and now Elite Hobby has$400USD.

Looks like prices are continually coming down after the 2020 boom but will they continue to trend this way or do you think they might bounce back up this year with the current rookie class?

I think they'll continue to drop. This year's crop of rc's may have some good players, but they're not franchise building blocks. Essentially, this year's is what last year's was supposed to be - downward trend to a m'eh draft class.

I think they'll continue to drop. This year's crop of rc's may have some good players, but they're not franchise building blocks. Essentially, this year's is what last year's was supposed to be - downward trend to a m'eh draft class.

Do you remember what the prices of these would have been before the market went crazy?

I also think panini is producing more volume and adding extra parallels to cover the extra volume. Basically, they're meeting the demand.

12-18 months ago I regularly went in group breaks for the fun of it - haven't been in one since - not fun, too high priced and no returns just drains the funds.

Regularly bought boxes from overseas through BBCE etc but they have all 10x in price or more for the most part and it's not worth it any more. The hoarding of the boxes for flipping later is a factor in this for sure. Prices don't even seem to drop when the product hits are known to have been pulled it's crazy.

I think retail will go up (like we've seen from EB recently) and hobby will come down. Retailers have worked out they can squeeze more money out of customers for retail boxes and people won't be hoarding the more expensive hobby boxes because they've seen the resell prices drop after the Zion bubble burst.
Breaks will stay expensive until people realise they are a waste of money and they're actually addicted gamblers more than they are collectors 🙂

Do you remember what the prices of these would have been before the market went crazy?

Is that prices of for example the previously mentioned Hoops box pre-craziness?

They were approx $200 NZD in January of 2020 if buying in NZ for what that info is worth. Not sure what they were in USD out of the States.

Drop

It will continue to plummet.

I'm leaning to buy weird stuff like F1, wrestling, and other unique stuff to hold, but I'll be waiting until basketball drops more. Still seeing people buy up expensive junk like Donruss etc, but I am definitely just easing up and waiting for stuff to drop further so I can get to opening up again

I think retail will go up (like we've seen from EB recently) and hobby will come down. Retailers have worked out they can squeeze more money out of customers for retail boxes and people won't be hoarding the more expensive hobby boxes because they've seen the resell prices drop after the Zion bubble burst.
Breaks will stay expensive until people realise they are a waste of money and they're actually addicted gamblers more than they are collectors 🙂

Yeah this almost feels like we've seen this cycle before.

Those that want to hang around, completely change their spending habits and buy singles as they're sick of taking a bath on boxes.

I'm done with Retail unless it's Prizm from now.
Mosaic is nice but a really terrible return at the price.

Select I liked the look of, but also is tough to do well.

Court Kings we didn't get at Retail this year, which sucked.

But if people keep paying nutso prices, they box price will stay high.

Definitely the demand is slowing up, as a particular site i buy from used to be sold out within minutes when they released boxes...but now it's just sitting there.

Hopefully we see some drops at the top end of town too, but unlikely

I'm starting to see a number of breakers struggle to sell out their breaks.

And like Lou, also seeing stock remain on websites.

No real price drops yet though on sealed product. I think it will take at least another 6 months until the drop in demand is truly recognised and sellers need to follow suit with reduced pricing.

I'm starting to see a number of breakers struggle to sell out their breaks.

And like Lou, also seeing stock remain on websites.

No real price drops yet though on sealed product. I think it will take at least another 6 months until the drop in demand is truly recognised and sellers need to follow suit with reduced pricing.

What type of breaks?

Obviously the big boys eventually get there, but i have seen teams like Sacramento and Indian high priced and left right to the end.

I'm seeing plenty of low to mid-end modern breaks not being filled by a number of random Aussie breakers (not the big boys).

Have noticed spots on Cherry's breaks aren't being snapped up as quickly also.

I think breaks were popular when it was hard to get reasonably priced boxes. Now that you can pick up a retail box to bust yourself less people need breaks.

I noticed Cherry have preorders of Mosaic NBA 21/22 just sitting there at $700 a box.

This was getting snapped up, even up to around 1200 a box for the previous year.

I notice that the mid/low end looks to be dropping but the high end is getting pumped up higher, as people seem to want to gamble more at the high end.

I'd love to see Prizm hobby back to 200 a box ;)

I noticed Cherry have preorders of Mosaic NBA 21/22 just sitting there at $700 a box.

This was getting snapped up, even up to around 1200 a box for the previous year.

I notice that the mid/low end looks to be dropping but the high end is getting pumped up higher, as people seem to want to gamble more at the high end.

I'd love to see Prizm hobby back to 200 a box ;)

700 a box is insane. 200 a box for Prizm and others is where it should be and like 100 for Hoops

Back
Top Bottom