Baseball "Virtual" card set of Aussie players

graymice

Collects Aussies in the USA (MLB, NBA, NFL, WNBA)
Real Name
Adam
eBay User
graymice
I liked the idea of creating your own cards as in the Something a Bit Different thread, so have been mucking around in Photoshop - not that I have any skills in that area. :p

Here's my first idea for a virtual set of Aussie player cards. This is of Joe Quinn - very hard to get any photos of him as he was the first Aussie who played MLB back in the 1890s. This photo was extracted from a team photo only a couple of centimetres in size.

Looking for any suggestions or comments on improvement. Do you guys think it looks OK? What would you change?

sc-quinn.jpg

And here's one of Justin Huber to give you a comparison of how a modern day player would look.

sc-huber.jpg

Nice start Adam, I'm having a go at making some too, not having much luck i think the simple you make it the better it will be, simple use of solid colour with white text always works, going to try blending some images, not sure how that will go but worth a try

I have made one card of Phil Brassington, will post a pic of it, any feedback would be appreciated

I had a look on the internet for tutorials and stuff to make custom cards but didn't have much luck finding any good templates or anything

That member on the Sports Card Forum isn't going to give away their secrets how they made the cards

Baseball Card Test.jpg

Found out what filter the guy used for the cards he designed for me for the A&G Style cards dragon effect filter, now just have to find it and give it a go, think that style of cards works best

The effect is called The Dragan Effect found a tutorial for how to do it, complicated stuff though, guess you have to have a high quality image first

Got this pic of Moylan had a go at making card its a bit dark though, needs more work think i am onto something though, this pic probably would have gone really nice with the A&G Style card like the other ones

Moylan.jpg

I've ended up utilising the templates for the 1974 Topps design, which can be custom printed over on one of the American sites. Here are some examples of what I've got do far. Trialling which look better - close ups vs action shots vs staged shots. Need to clean up images too. Good thing is, there's even a template for the card backs ... which is probably the most time consuming part of getting the set together :D

I'm working on a set of 60 cards to get professionally printed up. I liked this particular Topps design because of the green & gold colouring and simple design.

shipcu.jpg

shiplong.jpg

nilsson.jpg

balf.jpg

rrs.jpg

ridgway.jpg

gnr.jpg

cardback.jpg

Back
Top Bottom