Vale Johnny Raper

was fortunate to see them play - Raper, Langlands, Provan, Gasnier - seriosuly. doubt there has been any better since and what a joy it would be to see them palaying today
I feel so sad for Caryl.
Stay tuned and watch the ebay seller of the month thread.
There will be some very unscrupulous people out there selling memorabilia on ebay trying cash in.

Chook Raper was before my time but my Dad spoke of watching him play the old interstate matches, tests against GB (when international football was the pinnacle). My dad said he is the hardest bloke he had ever seen on a football field, relentless in defence, quite skilful as a ball playing middle but equally adept at running hard and straight.

Through my love of the history of the game I have come to watch plenty of old footage, what a player.

I wish I had been around to watch him live. I shouldn’t complain though, I did get to see Wally, Gene Miles and plenty of other in the BRL mid 80’s at local grounds.

Chook Raper was before my time but my Dad spoke of watching him play the old interstate matches, tests against GB (when international football was the pinnacle). My dad said he is the hardest bloke he had ever seen on a football field, relentless in defence, quite skilful as a ball playing middle but equally adept at running hard and straight.

Through my love of the history of the game I have come to watch plenty of old footage, what a player.

I wish I had been around to watch him live. I shouldn’t complain though, I did get to see Wally, Gene Miles and plenty of other in the BRL mid 80’s at local grounds.
Brendan I started watching in 1963 Raper was amazing could throw a pass left and right - step off both feet and was quick well in ealry days and could make a break -what a team that had gassier, proven, raper and langlands in same team - they are showing on fox raper games from 60s yesterday- gee the rules have changed - unlimited tackes, 5 yard rule etc - I remember one day in late 60s I was at henson park sitting on concrete seats - we have come a long way in comfort - I was lucky to get a raper signature card make in I think 95 or 96.

I have watched some footage of the second test v GBR (63/64 tour). This is commonly referred to as the ‘Swindon Massacre’, a 50-12 win to Australia, quite a rare score in those days. Raper had nine yes nine try assists that day.
Brendan the games were brutal back then - and your comment caused me to reflect on the day - back then I lived in sydney and we had B&W TV - in our street only 3 houses had TV - there were only 3 channels 2,7 and 9. Each day we had to tune TV and TV finished at 11pm and started again at 6am bck then UK v Oz rugby games were on ABC. The vact majority of us did not have sewage systems we had a truck arrive each week to take away a large tin full of waste - oh! the memories some good some bad but it was a slower more rlexed lifestye back then

Brendan the games were brutal back then - and your comment caused me to reflect on the day - back then I lived in sydney and we had B&W TV - in our street only 3 houses had TV - there were only 3 channels 2,7 and 9. Each day we had to tune TV and TV finished at 11pm and started again at 6am bck then UK v Oz rugby games were on ABC. The vact majority of us did not have sewage systems we had a truck arrive each week to take away a large tin full of waste - oh! the memories some good some bad but it was a slower more rlexed lifestye back then
When I was a apprentice my boss had a old dunny can he used as a bin 🤣

Never got to see him play either, but he's always been a favourite of mine. Had to pull out the PC and flick through it today, sad I won't be able to get him to sign another one for me.

20220212_204951.jpg

20220212_204906.jpg

20220212_204858.jpg

Back
Top Bottom