The Official BOSTON CELTICS thread

Re: The Official BOSTON CELTICS Season Thread

Glad KG had a good game for a while, hasnt done that since the opening games.

Spoken like a man that looks at box scores and doesn't watch all our games :rolleyes:

There is a reason he is in the MVP race even with numbers down. Celts had this one in the bag and really let it go. Not a bad game but poor execution and Doc went a long way to making it a loss when after the first half is should of been a win and taken care of business at home.

Damn, I really thought we'd be able to run through all these teams. By the sounds of it, again, another 'potential' win down the gurgler. We need to tidy things up if we want to continue to dominate. I'm not happy going down to the Piston's, especially at Boston.

Well no matter how many times you look at the end score we at least outplayed Detroit for most of the night Brad. A whole series of mistakes starting with Doc's inability to counter was a major difference and we don't YET have that poise that the Pistons have and no one expects us to after only 23 games together.

The substitution patterns and court time allocated yesterday were a complete change up and whilst Doc is trying to prove he can coach all it proved was instead of us dictating terms in OUR building as league leaders we let the Pistons do it and we chased their scoreline in the second half. A cold Tony Allen up to defend Billups on the last plays???? Tony Allen a smart player not falling for a head fake that WAS DRILLED into them at practice all week?

We outplayed the Pistons pretty much from beginning to end in every phase of the game. The C's shot a higher FG%, got to line FT line almost as much (21 to the Pistons
23 FTA), had more assists and rebounds, and fewer turnovers. The game did belong to the Celtics. However, they lost the game in three areas. Freethrows, 3 point shooting and most importantly, poise.

This game should have been won. But it wasn't. It was lost by them.

It SHOULD of gone into overtime. The ball should of been inbounded and the clock finish and the Celts have 5 mins to get the W they deserved for most of the night especially after the great play in the first half. OR even won if KG had pushed the ball instead of calling time out and the thing would of be done there and there on the FT line most probably.

Ahhh games like this pain me and I hope they learn from this from coaches down. Sure to make KG hungry and least and maybe even to start demanding the ball!

Hi! Just had to drop by and give love to your PG Rondo. Despite having 2 new All-stars in the C's line-up the 2nd year Pg is not at all starry-eyed. He made 2 beautiful top 10 plays on NBA.com today. The sickest one was his fake against Sheed!:worthy:

I was just wondering if any of you Celtics fans are worried about the number of minutes the Big Three are playing early in the season. I don't know the exact details but I believe they are averaging high 30's in minutes. It's not an issue with KG, but Pierce and Allen have been injury prone in the past. Would be interested to hear what you guys think. Oh yeh, I hope you guys smash the Bulls today!!!

I was just wondering if any of you Celtics fans are worried about the number of minutes the Big Three are playing early in the season. I don't know the exact details but I believe they are averaging high 30's in minutes. It's not an issue with KG, but Pierce and Allen have been injury prone in the past. Would be interested to hear what you guys think. Oh yeh, I hope you guys smash the Bulls today!!!

:rolleyes: Pierce had a stretch last season out and thats just about it for his career. He has been SOLID for the entire length of it bar that and he sat out most of it for a high draft pick and play the kids I'd say anyway. He sat a long stretch the season before with atitude being the main problem more so than his health if you remember. He sulked for much of it.

Ray is a worry and you will see my many posts about Doc playing him too much. Apart from that KG and PP both consistantly play large minutes and both are pretty much on or just below career minute totals.

The bench is contributing more than most thought anyway.

KG has had a lot of rest lately - they've had so many blowout wins that each of the big 3 have sat out the 4th qtr in several games - plus their schedule has been pretty easy so far - soon they'll be playing 4 games a week more often and then it'll be interesting to see how Doc works them all....

Anyone read this??? (thoughts)

Payton wants to join Celtics

WALTHAM - Ex-Celtics point guard Gary Payton watched on television from his Las Vegas home Wednesday night as his former team lost to the Pistons. And once Chauncey Billups hit the winning free throws with a tenth of a second remaining, Payton called his agent.

"He called me and said, 'Hey, I'm reminding you that the Celtics are a team I feel like I can help,' " said agent Aaron Goodwin.

The Celtics have been pleased with the play of second-year point guard Rajon Rondo. But there has been a feeling that Boston still needs a veteran backup at the position.

The Celtics have Eddie House, a 3-point threat who isn't considered a true point guard, and rookie Gabe Pruitt. And when the Celtics struggled to bring the ball up the court because of the Pistons' pressure defense when Rondo was out in the fourth quarter, the issue again presented itself. The Celtics also had trouble stopping Billups, a big point guard, who scored 28 points.

Coach Doc Rivers said the Celtics "would be in trouble" if Rondo got hurt, but he also likes his roster. Rivers said he hasn't talked to anyone in Celtics management about Payton. Goodwin said that while he has talked to Danny Ainge several times about Payton, the Celtics' basketball boss hasn't shown strong interest. Other available veteran free agent point guards include Earl Boykins and Keith McLeod.

"I like my team and I would kind of like to play this a little bit longer and see where we go," said Rivers. "Clearly [Wednesday] night, when Rajon was off the floor it changed the game. But we have ways of correcting that. If not, then maybe. But right now we'll just let this team play it out a little bit more.

"We're not panicking. Having said that, we're aware of it, there is no doubt about it. I'm just going to coach the ones now and we'll worry about the other stuff later."

The Celtics have two open roster spots. Ainge said Wednesday he wasn't looking to fill one unless it was with an impact player. So, that begs the question of whether Payton could be that impact player.

"Just knowing [Payton] and playing with him, I know what he brings to the game," said James Posey, who played with Payton the last two seasons in Miami. "He brings that competitive nature. That experience. He's been doing it. Even before we won a ring in Miami, people understood what he brings to the table."

Payton, 39, has averaged 16.3 points, 6.7 assists, and 3.9 rebounds over 17 seasons. The nine-time All-Defensive team selection played for the Celtics during the 2004-05 season, starting all 77 games he played for the Atlantic Division champions, who lost in the first round of the playoffs to the Pacers.

Payton, a nine-time All-Star, averaged career lows of 5.3 points, 3 assists, and 1.9 rebounds in 68 games last season. But the 6-foot-4-inch, 180-pounder also won a title with the Heat in 2006, has played in three NBA Finals, and could make an impact, a la veterans Lindsey Hunter (Detroit), Jacque Vaughn (San Antonio), and Darrell Armstrong (New Jersey). Goodwin says Payton is in great shape and could be ready quickly.

"I loved [Payton]," Rivers said. "Gary was great. He was a professional. He's a veteran, he knows how to play, and he's tough. So I always liked him and he knows that. That's probably why he wants to come. We had a terrific relationship."

The Celtics would likely have to pay Payton a prorated amount of $1.2 million based on the minimum salary for players with 10-plus years of experience. Goodwin said Payton would have no problem making the minimum or coming off the bench. He added that Payton is receiving "a little interest" from other teams and before the season he put the Celtics on a short list of teams he was interested in joining.

"Gary's interest is only with teams he can play with and compete with to win a championship," Goodwin said. "He'd love the opportunity to play with Boston. It's one of the teams he had me contact before the season, and that's saying a lot because Gary doesn't like the cold."

Goodwin said he last talked to Ainge about Payton and another client, free agent forward Chris Webber, about two weeks ago. Webber appears close to signing with the Pistons.

YEah Col and we all laughed knowing it will never happen.

25 games into the season and take a look at this stat!

The C's have led by 20 at one point in the game for 15 of them!!!

Solid win today at home and balanced attack.

I listened to it - the commentators were saying how psyched KG was, he hardly missed - 9-13 from the field I think...Rondo is getting better and better......career high today....

You really have to admire the turnaround, 24-58 last season. So far: 22-3. Doc Rivers for Coach of the Year? ;)

You really have to admire the turnaround, 24-58 last season. So far: 22-3. Doc Rivers for Coach of the Year? ;)

don't get to carried away funk.doc rivers for coach of the year i don't think so.sometimes the way he coaches i wonder if he knows anything at all about coaching.and this is from a celtic fan.
tony :D

25 games into the season and take a look at this stat!

The C's have led by 20 at one point in the game for 15 of them!!!

Solid win today at home and balanced attack.

That's an unbelievable stat! Celts are playing some good ball. I hope some of you guys put some of your hard earned on them early in the year because they're odds have really shortened since the season started.

they are looking better than advertised i think it would be fair to say... the big 3 are playing so well, so i hope an injury doesnt cut the season short for any of them, i really want to see them go all the way and see if anyone else can stop them... rajon rondo has stepped it up to lpay with these guys, playing solid particularly of late and for those of you who arent aware, he is shooting nearly 53% from the field (along the lines of stockton)! Also looks after the ball well and plays within himself generally...

one of the sticking points before the season started was how deep the bench would be... well it seems someone different keeps stepping up most nights if its not house then its posey, or t. allen (all 3 shooting over 40% on 3's, keeping defenses honest)

they are so fun to watch and im happy for pierce who has endured some crappy seasons and some trade rumors over the last few years... well deserved success

Well Celts fans have had a happy new year - a 4-0 road trip topped off with a 20 pt pasting of the lakers.........can't do much better than that......26-3

Best D in the league.

D wins titles..

Offense cranks and multiple player options. Celts went to a slower half court offense for the LA game and others on the WC swing and it still worked and saved energy.

0 TO's for Rondo on the road swing too! None of this 8 assists 6 TO's crap other PG's put up and then get props for the asst's not taking into account the points they lost their team.

One thing ANYONE can't dispute is...so far... The Celtics are WINNERS!

11+ point win at home today it SHOULD be as so far we haven't taken lesser teams likely and actually hammered quite a few of them with the foot well and truly on the pedal.

Didn't say he wouldn't. Just said he shouldn't. Its hard to tell with Doc though as in the past he may have been under direction to put certain combos out there on the floor etc or play certain styles resulting in losses.

Still a lot of his previous seasons with us resulted in poor game day coaching, subs and scouting. Its no secret in Boston that Doc isn't the coach in charge of the defense and his job got a hell of a lot easier with a HAPPIER PP and then adding two vets that need little coaching and take in the younger guys under their wings that Doc left stagnant before.

Celts up by the spread already but still have blown the better lead they had early in the 2nd.

Back
Top Bottom