The Official 2017 TLA Elite NRL Thread (Sell Sheet Page 10, 1/1 Preview Page 17)

Agreed, why not have:

Traders = 18 Players a Team
Power Play = Some stars + some lesser knowns
Elite = Best Players Available

My only down side is that the base commons in Elite are not the best of the best across all teams.

Cheers
Matt

Great post.

I don't think they need 3 sets tbh. I buy them, don't get me wrong, but an expanded Traders/PP and an elite Elite would be great. Maybe hobby and retail Elite too...something for the dealers and somethings in the shops.

Last edited:
Having read through all the posts and considered the various opinions on the various aspects of Elite, here's my take.
I like 9 base cards per team (one page per team looks nice etc) but I wouldn't mind a much larger base set comprising 18 cards per team. Look at all the excess useless base cards we all accumulate. But as well as a variety of players from current NRL squads, include past players to make up the 18.
I digress.
Elite Impact will likely be the only insert set I complete, which is a bit disappointing but (as mentioned by others) I get out of it pretty cheap.
Captains are nice looking cards again, but they don't do much for me, they're a better design than last year though. Time for a change here.
Crystal Collection is massive overkill IMO. Three sets of 15 cards of the same player does not inspire me to collect. I'll say no more on that.
For me YG's and LS's are my main focus in this set, though the two Dogs signers are so-so.
I don't care for the All Stars cards at all, just not interested in the concept within the trading card release. Time for a change here too.
Mojo's are not something I've embraced (having never pulled a set and not being willing to spend a small fortune on what is basically another parallel set). This will no doubt change if I pull a pack.
The jersey cards are fantastic, makes the product well worth buying, especially given the variety and rarity of the unique patches. More, more, more.
In closing, a little prayer.
I implore the Footy Card Gods - may the Dud Box Curse that has plagued me now for several years be lifted, and may we all bask in the glory of some real nice hits.
Amen.

Having read through all the posts and considered the various opinions on the various aspects of Elite, here's my take.
I like 9 base cards per team (one page per team looks nice etc) but I wouldn't mind a much larger base set comprising 18 cards per team. Look at all the excess useless base cards we all accumulate. But as well as a variety of players from current NRL squads, include past players to make up the 18.
I digress.
Elite Impact will likely be the only insert set I complete, which is a bit disappointing but (as mentioned by others) I get out of it pretty cheap.
Captains are nice looking cards again, but they don't do much for me, they're a better design than last year though. Time for a change here.
Crystal Collection is massive overkill IMO. Three sets of 15 cards of the same player does not inspire me to collect. I'll say no more on that.
For me YG's and LS's are my main focus in this set, though the two Dogs signers are so-so.
I don't care for the All Stars cards at all, just not interested in the concept within the trading card release. Time for a change here too.
Mojo's are not something I've embraced (having never pulled a set and not being willing to spend a small fortune on what is basically another parallel set). This will no doubt change if I pull a pack.
The jersey cards are fantastic, makes the product well worth buying, especially given the variety and rarity of the unique patches. More, more, more.
I implore the Footy Card Gods - may the Dud Box Curse that has plagued me now for several years be lifted, and may we all bask in the glory of some real nice hits.
Amen.

I agree - with a logo card, coach, maybe an u/20 or feeder player and a past player included as subsets within the commons, it would be easy to get up to 18 common cards per team.

For me I'm not hating on it, I'm just struggling to get my head around the rationale of it.

The releases of the last 3-4 years have knocked out master set collectors and made the majority of us into team set collectors. I think the vast majority of us have got over that and in many cases embraced it. I'm sure that TLA understands that it's collecting base is predominantly team set collectors too.

This is why I can't understand the logic behind crystals and All Stars. I could perhaps understand the All Stars more if they were low end inserts. This just seems like a set geared towards master set collectors. In fact I would have no qualms with it at all if I was still a master set collector - it is quite nice. But, why would you alienate some of the team collector's lining your pockets?

I get that some teams are less successful than others, but why should that govern the love shown to memorabilia collectors? It would be nice if all fans/team collectors were treated the same. Hell, the ones reeling from what is happening on the park could do with some cheer off it. And some unsuccessful teams can also be teams with larger memberships. Having said that, I love the thought of Road to the Final jerseys being for precisely that and I loved the idea of the Sharks signed premier set. That is a really exciting addition for teams that excel. However, the lack of love for some teams (Warriors/Titans esp) release after release is a bitter pill to swallow

Personally speaking I love my team's YG/LS, but beyond that there is little reason to bust this product, which I would have thought would be a concern for TLA. I'm non-plussed about the emerald mojos, but even if I wasn't a 1/64 chance of hitting mine is not really a reason to keep hitting the group case breaks.

Last edited:
I will be buying 2 common and Titans parallel sets and Titans inserts off ebay. I don't give a toss about Mojo sets. I won't be buying a single pack. I still don't see the risk out weighing the value.

In 2014 I purchased several boxes of both sets released.

2015 I purchased 1 box of Traders and several pack and only about 4 packs of Elite

2016 I purchased 2 starter packs and about 10 single packs of Traders and No Elite

This year I have purchased about 4 packs of Traders and I won't be buying any Elite packs.

Ebay necessities only for me. ESP have sucked the life out of busting packs.

Last edited:
I digress.
Amen.
Amen

I think the main reason we are all hating a bit is that our ideas/suggestions as collectors in regard to what we like/don't like, etc every series seem to continuously be ignored.

I think that numerous suggestions posted on this forum and elsewhere have been embraced by ESP and as a result the product quality has improved. The first signature cards in 2012 and Traders 13 were not even numbered (Legends were hand numbered)!!

There will never be a perfect release and we as collectors can hope for is variety, value for money and that some of the better suggestions / improvements are implemented.

Select had their deficiencies also and in terms of variety and new ideas ESP are streets ahead. The size of the insert sets are questionable and there are certainly aspects of this release that are poorly balanced to what is effectively a team collecting market.

The other aspect to consider is that the NRL has to okay the release and signers etc. we all know how much of a cluster the NRL is in other aspects, I don't imagine producing their merchandise would be much easier!!!

I'm a team collector and I'm pretty happy with the amount of cards I have to acquire, Emerald Mojo is a bit of a killer, I'm not expecting less than $1000 for that. Go hard at the first one that shows up i spose.

For me I'm not hating on it, I'm just struggling to get my head around the rationale of it.

The releases of the last 3-4 years have knocked out master set collectors and made the majority of us into team set collectors. I think the vast majority of us have got over that and in many cases embraced it. I'm sure that TLA understands that it's collecting base is predominantly team set collectors too.

This is why I can't understand the logic behind crystals and All Stars. I could perhaps understand the All Stars more if they were low end inserts. This just seems like a set geared towards master set collectors. In fact I would have no qualms with it at all if I was still a master set collector - it is quite nice. But, why would you alienate some of the team collector's lining your pockets?

I get that some teams are less successful than others, but why should that govern the love shown to memorabilia collectors? It would be nice if all fans/team collectors were treated the same. Hell, the ones reeling from what is happening on the park could do with some cheer off it. And some unsuccessful teams can also be teams with larger memberships. Having said that, I love the thought of Road to the Final jerseys being for precisely that and I loved the idea of the Sharks signed premier set. That is a really exciting addition for teams that excel. However, the lack of love for some teams (Warriors/Titans esp) release after release is a bitter pill to swallow

Personally speaking I love my team's YG/LS, but beyond that there is little reason to bust this product, which I would have thought would be a concern for TLA. I'm non-plussed about the emerald mojos, but even if I wasn't a 1/64 chance of hitting mine is not really a reason to keep hitting the group case breaks.

Well said, I too am not hating on it just find the balance is not exactly right and offering thoughts on how IMO it could improve. Collecting has changed for many of us to team based and I think they should balance the release. I think the commons and Silver specials look fantastic and can't wait to get them in hand to see if they are as good as they look. They should come up a treat signed. I would be OK with an increased base set as well but have no issue with a 9 card set. Also as Brendan rightly says ESP have listened (maybe only with one ear at times) and made adjustments based on feedback, hopefully this continues.

Just bring it on and release it now.......

Cheers
Ross

One of my locals have them on sale and I will be busting a box later on tonight...... ;)

Cheers
Matt

How come some can get them so early and not everyone?

Gordon & Gotch who handle the newsagency stock sent them out early it seems.

I know the major resellers haven't even gotten their stock yet so no doubt they wont be impressed.

Cheers
Matt

Posted on FB From A Newsagency
20626537_1512148728841240_5495059105174360149_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom