The Australian cricket non-official thread!

Just saw Bancroft's press conference that was held this afternoon after he arrived back in Perth. It hit me hard - the hardest anything has in this whole saga. The poor guy is shattered, and he could barely keep the tears in. There is no doubt he is genuinely sorry.

I think we should all take it a bit easy on the three guys. It's not a matter of life or death. Bancroft, who has had a clean record up until this point in his career, has made one mistake - and unlike when the rest of us make mistakes, his is being played out in national and international media coverage to enormous levels of discussion and outrage. We've all done things and looked back shortly after and thought "Why on earth did I just do that? What was I thinking?". And as well as this, he has to deal with the loss of his Test dream for a fair period of time - the one thing he has worked towards his whole life. It must be so hard to deal with. I feel for him.

Edit: Just saw Smith's as well. Wow, he was even more emotional than Bancroft. So very hard to watch. :(

Last edited:
Yeah both press conferences were very hard to watch. I’ve always tried to like Dave Warner because he was exciting and played hard for the team I supported. But there was always a level of arrogance that I’ve never liked, I prefer humble sportsmen and he’s never been one. And now, I actually hope he doesn’t play for our country again to be honest. Although still angry, some time has passed and given us all a chance to reflect, I’m now not as pi55ed off but more extremely disappointed this happened. Smith and Bancroft I can forgive one day and hope they both fight hard to earn all our respect back and again represent this great country.

Just saw Bancroft's press conference that was held this afternoon after he arrived back in Perth. It hit me hard - the hardest anything has in this whole saga. The poor guy is shattered, and he could barely keep the tears in. There is no doubt he is genuinely sorry.

I think we should all take it a bit easy on the three guys. It's not a matter of life or death. Bancroft, who has had a clean record up until this point in his career, has made one mistake - and unlike when the rest of us make mistakes, his is being played out in national and international media coverage to enormous levels of discussion and outrage. We've all done things and looked back shortly after and thought "Why on earth did I just do that? What was I thinking?". And as well as this, he has to deal with the loss of his Test dream for a fair period of time - the one thing he has worked towards his whole life. It must be so hard to deal with. I feel for him.

Edit: Just saw Smith's as well. Wow, he was even more emotional than Bancroft. So very hard to watch. :(

Waaaah - poor babies.... Do the crime, do the time. Tough ti**ies to all three of them who thought they were better than the game... They weren't too emotional about their actions til they got busted...

Yeah both press conferences were very hard to watch. I’ve always tried to like Dave Warner because he was exciting and played hard for the team I supported. But there was always a level of arrogance that I’ve never liked, I prefer humble sportsmen and he’s never been one. And now, I actually hope he doesn’t play for our country again to be honest. Although still angry, some time has passed and given us all a chance to reflect, I’m now not as pi55ed off but more extremely disappointed this happened. Smith and Bancroft I can forgive one day and hope they both fight hard to earn all our respect back and again represent this great country.

All three should NEVER play for Australia again. Leave their positions for the players who respect the game, earn their position AND have pride enough in themselves and representing their country to not cheat. Talented players, yes but egos too big for their studded boots... I know of players past who have sacrificed family life, jobs and everything in their bank account to play for Australia. Those players deserve their baggy green as opposed to the arrogant cheating threesome who have left a sh*t stain on the white Y front undies of life...

**steps off soapbox**

In saying all this, I respect the opinions of OZCT'ers in this forum, I just am upset at the trio for bringing the game down.

Breaking News....... South Africa will select a piece of sandpaper to open the bowling in the 4th Test. Seems its the only way they can get rid of Australia's 3 best batsmen.

Also Boof has resigned.

For anyone that hasnt seen it ACA response

29 Mar 2018

Steve Smith, Dave Warner and Cameron Bancroft made very serious mistakes in South Africa.

It is right that these mistakes are sanctioned, and that must occur in a fair and proper way.

The national game we all love must always demonstrate standards and behaviours consistent with both the rules, and the spirit, of cricket.

And the game must be supported by rigorous and fair processes.

There are a number of glaring and clear anomalies in the process to date which causes the ACA to query the severity and proportionality of the proposed sanctions.

These are:

• The grading and sanctions proposed are considerably higher than the ICC's grading and sanctions;
  • The disproportionality between the proposed sanctions and those previously handed down in world cricket for 'changing the condition of the ball' - including by Captains of international teams applying artificial substances;
  • The activation of CA's Board as a deliberative body on the proposed sanctions;
  • That public statements by CA to date have not referenced consideration of contextual factors including the environment in South Africa during the series and the impacts on individual players;
  • The rush to place players before the world's media last Saturday night without the benefit of considered and coherent advice.
The ACA continues to provide welfare and legal support to all players.

This welfare support will be critical at a time where the network and environment of each of the three players must play an active role in their rehabilitation.

All Australians would understand the right of the players to receive advice from their advisers, peers and family and the time necessary to ensure the sanctions are fair and proportional.

The ACA has called for the proposed cultural review to be fully independent and to consider all relevant factors and context surrounding these acts. The examination must also extend to CA's response and process following Saturday's events.

Given the ACA stated at the time of the signing of the pay dispute MOU the rift between players and CA would take years of work to heal one cant help back think this whole saga reeks of payback.

Given the ICC had impossed the maximum penalty, I would have been quite happy for CA to let it stand, strip the players of their leadership roles, send them home in disgrace and use the months before the next series to conduct a proper review of not only the ball tampering but the whole series.

I think point 4 raised by ACA needs seriously looking at.
Like most I think Warner is "a bit of a wanker" for lack of a better description. No doubt he has brought a lot of what has happened apon himself but what support has he received from CA.
With all the media going on about harassment and bullying in everyday life and the workplace where does that put CA. Warner is after all an employee of CA and the cricket field is his workplace. What was his mental state like, what had CA done, should he have been pulled from the tour earlier. What influence did all of this have on his decission making.
While I cant see this getting any worse for the players involved it could get far worse for CA.

Finally, the mental health card gets played.

Report out that Sheffield Shield ump from 2016 suspected Warner of cheating and asked Smith to stop it and he didn’t.

Then there was the sugar in Sydney. Warner’s tape and suspicion earlier in SA.

They cheated. They got done. The modern professional sportsman cries when caught.

This has nothing to do with payback. Maybe karma.

Like I said Chris the only people this will get worse for is CA.
If it has been a ongoing issue why havent CA acted before now.
The last 12 months has shown massive issues within Aus cricket, suspending a few players isnt going to resolve them.

I don't think so.

Sponsors will return.
CA will be in a stronger position on the next pay position because they can just say "you're bullies and cheats".
The next story will come along.
The new coach will meld together a new team.
In 12 months in time for the Ashes there will be a redemption story for at least 1 of the suspended players.

The thing that makes me laugh is how stupid the players were using YELLOW sandpaper against whites. LOL x 10000.

In the end, if only we held our politicians to account as harshly as we do our sportspeople.

Justin Langer would be perfect.
As we have all seen Australian Cricket needs a change of direction and Langer would fit this role perfectly.
His attention to detail is fantastic and his commitment would be second to none. All of the WA players have a great deal of respect for him and I am pretty sure he would not put up with the antics that have been around the team in the last few months.
He has been there and done it with Australia for a long time.
Watching him at the last Shield game here, a dead rubber against the Redbacks he still wanted to win and avoid the wooden spoon!!
It's ok Redbacks, there's always next season.........

Langer is a tough nugget.

I think they might look for a softer approach, not saying Dizzy is 'softer', but Langer is very competitive.

Back
Top Bottom