The Australian cricket non-official thread!

A great knock by Warner, since Ive come out of the closet as a Watson fan I'll just remind everyone Watsons 185no off 96 balls remains the highest score but an Australian in a 50 over international.
Before anyone says Watsons knock was a one off I will throw out a couple more stats, Watsons sits 6th for most ODI centuries for Aus, ahead of the likes of Smith and Clarke. Of the players who have scored more than 1 hundred only Gilchrist and Warner have better strike rates and Watsons ODI batting average is only 4 behind Warner and 5 ahead of Gilchrist.

For the type of batsman he is, David Warner's record in First-Class, Test and One Day International cricket is remarkable. When you add his fielding prowess, I think he is Australia's key man at international level.

What are your thoughts ahead of the BBL Final tomorrow? It looks to be a very tough assignment for my Sixers at The Furnace, against the rejuvenated Mitchell Johnson and co. I think it's been a terrific tournament....I admit to watching almost every game!! :)

We've seen through the tournament that any team can win on any given day. The Sixers have a strong batting line-up - Daniel Hughes and Moises Henriques will be the key wickets I think.

Hopefully the game will be as good as the last time these two teams met in the final - and the same result would be nice ;)

Shaun marsh is out for Perth who has been in cracking form
Cracking form's probably a bit generous! Last two games he's been very good with a couple of fifties, but before that he was averaging 11 for the tournament. Still, I agree he's a big loss. Cartwright will probably come in - he'd be in the first XI of a lot of teams so he's not a bad replacement.

Cracking form's probably a bit generous! Last two games he's been very good with a couple of fifties, but before that he was averaging 11 for the tournament. Still, I agree he's a big loss. Cartwright will probably come in - he'd be in the first XI of a lot of teams so he's not a bad replacement.
I try and give a west Australian some credit and you take it away from him

It's not every day you get that being the unbiased new south Welshman I am ;)

I try and give a west Australian some credit and you take it away from him

It's not every day you get that being the unbiased new south Welshman I am ;)
No, no, I appreciate the sentiment - he has looked extremely good in the last couple of games. He just had a slow start to the competition coming off the back of an injury but he's looking like he's back close to his best now.

Want him at his best in India if they are going to pick him at 6.

He's either batting there or not in the team in my books, I want cricket Aus to be patient with renshaw as he could open the batting for us for the next 10-15 years.

Brilliant partnership between Warner and Head. I've said it before but there's no greater thrill in modern-day cricket than watching Warner bat.
Sorry I have to correct you here Scott, but there is a greater thrill - seeing Travis Head score his maiden ODI century at his home ground!!! Certainly a moment and a day I'll never forget :)

Sorry I have to correct you here Scott, but there is a greater thrill - seeing Travis Head score his maiden ODI century at his home ground!!! Certainly a moment and a day I'll never forget :)
I've been a little critical of Head in the past, but he definitely batted well today. One on-drive he played in particular was a beauty!

I have enjoyed the BBL more than ever this season, obviously because the Heat went okay. Great game the other night, was a great comeback by the Heat to get to a super over but Moses was on fire!!

I would also flag the international summer as one of my favorites for a while. So many great young players blooded (finally), Renshaw, Handscombe, Head. I hope these guys are around for a long time! The sublime batting of Warner, Smith & co, Starc and Hazlewood, I could go on!!

Bring on India!!

I have enjoyed the BBL more than ever this season, obviously because the Heat went okay. Great game the other night, was a great comeback by the Heat to get to a super over but Moses was on fire!!

I would also flag the international summer as one of my favorites for a while. So many great young players blooded (finally), Renshaw, Handscombe, Head. I hope these guys are around for a long time! The sublime batting of Warner, Smith & co, Starc and Hazlewood, I could go on!!

Bring on India!!

I enjoyed the BBL too this year, lots of high scoring games, no real games where sides didn't put up a reasonable total, no washouts and I even enjoyed the WBBL more......went to more WBBL games than BBL games.

There is a huge summer of Cricket coming up later this year and in 2018.

We have an Indian tour which will be tough, the ICC Champions Trophy in England, then England out here for the Ashes, BBL7, WBBL3 and then a Test Tour to South Africa early 2018.

That's a lot of Cricket being played!

Cheers
Matt

From the news report I just caught the end of we will have an extra 8 BBL games to enjoy next year.
Smith is out of the NZ tour and Warner isn't going so we should have an announcement on a new captain and vice captain shortly

From the news report I just caught the end of we will have an extra 8 BBL games to enjoy next year.
Smith is out of the NZ tour and Warner isn't going so we should have an announcement on a new captain and vice captain shortly
Wade and Finch touted to be those 2, but from a completely unbiased point of view :p I think that Travis Head and Matt Wade would be the 2 best options in this situation as they are both captains of their state teams, providing plenty of experience.

Wow, Kiwis will take the exclusion / resting of Australia's two best batsmen as a real slap in the face.

I wonder if they will rest or head to India early to acclimatize and get some dusty wicket practice!!

On a side note I didn't know that Monty Panasar was doing some spin coaching for CA

It's a bit of a shame that such a terrific BBL season ends with an awfully one-sided final. A huge congratulations to the Perth Scorchers, a mostly-home grown team. There's a lot to be said about their set-up, I reckon. They've avoided the "big name" Flash Harry recruits and picked role players.

A lot of the oveseas signings have under-performed across the board this season and it's no surprise to see hardened County and international cricketers like Bell and Bresnan lifting the trophy.

It's a bit of a shame that such a terrific BBL season ends with an awfully one-sided final. A huge congratulations to the Perth Scorchers, a mostly-home grown team. There's a lot to be said about their set-up, I reckon. They've avoided the "big name" Flash Harry recruits and picked role players.

A lot of the oveseas signings have under-performed across the board this season and it's no surprise to see hardened County and international cricketers like Bell and Bresnan lifting the trophy.
Champions! :D

A lot of credit has to go to Justin Langer, I reckon. He seems to have this T20 thing pretty much worked out. Our international signings haven't always been popular initially, but it's hard to remember a single one who would be considered a "failure".

Also, great to see young Jhye Richardson win man of the match. He was in doubt with injury and Behrendorff almost ready to play again, but I'm really glad they stuck with him. He didn't deserve to miss out on playing in the final after his work through the whole season and in the end his selection was well and truly validated!

The South Africa series before the tests this year is up there too. They rested all the bowlers for that series. They are devaluing the Australian jersey by doing these meaningless series all over the place.

There are still some t20 internationals to be played in oz and it will be fair dinkum a z team that plays due to commitments elsewhere

Back
Top Bottom