The Australian cricket non-official thread!

Is it a late night or an early morning coming up? That is the question!
Or in my case, turn the news on in the morning and think "oh f**k, the cricket started last night!" :)

The one advantage of appalling over-rates is that play will probably finish between 6:30-7:00am SA time so I might have to set the alarm for half five!

West indies have won the toss and will bat.

Adam Voges to make test debut for Australia, Shaun Marsh to open in place of Chris Rogers.

Go Aussies!

Mitchell Johnson needs just 6 more weeks to overtake McDermott and go Top 5 most test wickets for Australia.

And he's in his 65th test. McDermott did it in 71.

He needs 25 to overhaul Lee on 310 (76 tests).

It has certainly been a remarkable comeback from Mitch. He was written off a few years ago & was at long odds to make the test team again. Since his recall he has been on fire - winning the 2014 Allan Border Medal along the way.

I think some of those English batmen will be having re occuring nightmares thinking of what he did in the last ashes campaign....

Aussies losing wickets at steady intervals. Bishoo going through them...

Australia 6/126, lost 3/41 this morning so far. Still trailing by 22 runs.

Voges and Johnson in. Heres hoping we can get a lead.

Seeing the ball spin like it is, hopefully the decision to leave Fawad Ahmed out does not come back to bite us.

Last edited:
There's not a lot of romance in sport anymore - the whole win at all costs sort of thing that we've seen with Essendon and their drugs saga - but seeing a 35 year old Adam Voges make his debut, score 130* and at day's end, be grinning from ear to ear like a kid in the lolly shop, it doesn't get any better.

Whether or not Voges should have played test cricket earlier - he never really let us down in ODIs - is a moot point. That he has a baggy green, a test ton and quite possibly saved the Test for Australia speaks volumes for me. I hope he carries this form in to the Ashes. Hard work, persistence, patience...that's how you do it boys and girls. Not juicing up and then trying to dog it.

160 First Class matches, an average of 45.52, a Shield season of 1215 runs at 101.25....it all added up to Adam Voges being the deserving "next in line". I am delighted for him, as the selectors could easily have taken another "punt" on a young batsman (a la Michael Slater in 1993) based on potential rather than experience.

@The Mad Hatter you and I are of a similar age group and upbringing I reckon - Adam Voges appeals because he is a quiet, unassuming, hard-working, dedicated one-state cricketer who makes hundreds, catches flies in the slips, bowls some tidy left arm orthodox and leads by example.

A couple of years ago I resigned myself to never winning a baggy green lol.

Sitting up and watching Voges graft was pure joy for a 39 year old 6th grade plod. :p

I'm also 39.......clicked over last week :)

I would love to see Adam Voges in the first Ashes Test....a batting line-up of Warner, Rogers, Smith, Clarke, Voges and Watson would be dependable. I think regular Australian first innings scores of 300+ will be too much for the current England batting line-up to handle. The England vs New Zealand Tests were amazing - England still have no idea how to bowl to the lower order though!

It's been fourteen long years since Australia last won the urn on enemy territory (winning in 2001, losing in 2005, 2009 and 2013) and a lot of players in the Australian squad will not return to the UK after this tour.

That said, there's still a Test match (and series) to win against the West Indies yet. You can almost see an innings victory coming tomorrow morning - an early wicket or two and West Indies could be out for a sub-100 score.

Got up at 3.30am (having slept through my midnight alarm) and at 3/150-something and two blokes in a 100 run partnership both on 50 and Voges bowling lollipops, I thought "oh...not the forgone conclusion I/we thought it was". Watched a couple of overs and had to go back to bed thinking "good...cricket on Saturday night too!"

So imagine my surprise/delight waking up and seeing the test done and dusted. Ha!

It's the peril of that timezone isn't it? Do you stay up (like I did) assuming a quick kill or hedge your bets and climb out of the cot in the early hours of the morning?!

I checked Cricinfo at maybe 3:45-ish and the 4th wicket had just fallen. I was amazed to find that she was all over bar the shouting when I checked again later!

Mitchell Starc will be lethal in the UK against England's tail. Full, straight, swinging, goodnight Nurse.

Also, for all the moaning about Lyon...has equalled the record for most test wickets by an Aussie off spinner.

1 in the 2nd test and he is outright leader. Pretty good for the former groundsman and much maligned Lyon.

upload_2015-6-10_19-1-42.png

I have just finished reading this book. It is a fantastic read and I thoroughly recommend it. It is an amazing insight to Curtly's life and with forewords by recently deceased, Richie Benaud and Aussie great Steve Waugh it is a great read for any cricket fan. :)

upload_2015-6-10_19-1-42.png

I have just finished reading this book. It is a fantastic read and I thoroughly recommend it. It is an amazing insight to Curtly's life and with forewords by recently deceased, Richie Benaud and Aussie great Steve Waugh it is a great read for any cricket fan. :)

Where can I get a signed copy of this?

Back
Top Bottom