Steve Smith Jersey Number Gold 12/49

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i really hope Corey is wrong because with Mitch Marsh dropped from the Australian side it would make my silver jersey numbers card worth about $2

Corey, whilst your feedback is valued, dude, please turn spell check on or at least read back what you write before pressing "post reply"

In Corey's response above, he is responding as a reseller. What he writes is correct. Generally the value of the cards will be higher immediately after release and will feather down after a month or so. In this case, don't forget this is a release for the BBL series which is a December 20th start. This hopefully means that interest will spike again then and run through the end of January when the series concludes. Not all collectors hang out on OCT or online forums. I still trade with some of mine via good old snail mail!

There doesn't seem to be as much early interest this release so there may well be a reliance on the re-seller so if prices are going to be low, then this is great for the collector. I will buy as many as I can for $20 so resellers please contact me!!

Swapping/trading has always been a great way to build your collection but this year I think it will be a hard slog! Not as many case buyers pre release and not a lot of action on the forums. I hope it picks up and I hope that Tap n Play sells through as having an Australian cricket card release has bought me back to collecting as well as introduced many youngsters to collecting. The tap n play product (as well as cow corner) has introduced many to this forum as well.
Damian you make 100% sense and more!

I hope to still be doing what I do when I'm older... I have no idea how I'll go balancing this and my last years of school, but I'll make it work!!
Just a quick note on this (and I know I'm going way off-topic - apologies!).

I found that card collecting actually helped me get through my last couple of years of high school. Being able to unwind by reading through the forum and organising trades (and busting packs and boxes of course) was fantastic for me mentally. Sure, study takes up more of your time and you can't afford to be checking the site every five minutes, but there's no reason that card collecting and high school can't co-exist :)

Just a quick note on this (and I know I'm going way off-topic - apologies!).

I found that card collecting actually helped me get through my last couple of years of high school. Being able to unwind by reading through the forum and organising trades (and busting packs and boxes of course) was fantastic for me mentally. Sure, study takes up more of your time and you can't afford to be checking the site every five minutes, but there's no reason that card collecting and high school can't co-exist :)
Wow! It's great to hear from someone that collecting and school can co-exist. I know that people like Walshy disappeared off the forums for a while due to high school. Hopefully I can balance the 2 :) Sorry to hijack your thread Alan haha :p

If you want it for your private collection thats cool,If you are looking to sell it move it one now,this card is limited edition,its now signed its not a jersey patch card,I would like to think you will get good money for it low end of market $20,high end $50.
Good luck i hope you get heaps more for it.
Hi,
Please let me know if you come across any gold jersey cards, I would be more than happy to give you $20-$50 for them!!!
Cheers
Al

Hi,
Please let me know if you come across any gold jersey cards, I would be more than happy to give you $20-$50 for them!!!
Cheers
Al

Yes I agree. If anyone is selling at this $20-$50 price I too would like to buy. I totally get that the release sells best on release then tapers off after a month or two. But here's my theory on these gold cards, there will be collectors chasing a master set of all cards, then there's people chasing a set of these golds. Once these people buy their cards it doesn't leave too many left that aren't locked up in collections as the numbers are so limited. Therefore when they do pop up for sale the seller can ask a little more due to the rarity on the market.

Yes I agree. If anyone is selling at this $20-$50 price I too would like to buy. I totally get that the release sells best on release then tapers off after a month or two. But here's my theory on these gold cards, there will be collectors chasing a master set of all cards, then there's people chasing a set of these golds. Once these people buy their cards it doesn't leave too many left that aren't locked up in collections as the numbers are so limited. Therefore when they do pop up for sale the seller can ask a little more due to the rarity on the market.
As soon as the Khawaja 1/1 is hit, there can be no more master sets, so the value on all of these will take a massive dive. I originally said just below $100, but thinking about it a bit more, I don't think that $50 is so stupid now. How many Steve Smith collectors are there, + 1 master set collector, and maybe a few set collectors whom are not concerned about an incomplete set. Just because you want it to be a $200 card to get value from your boxes/cases, doesn't mean it will.

As a concept I think there cards are better than what TnP did in the 2015/16 release with those Medal Winners cards, which were 1:182 packs (the same ratio as the signatures).

I never got any of those cards so I can't really comment on the quality, but from the comments on this forum they were average at best and had no numbering. Those cards were going for $90 - $100 at the time from memory, and that not the sort of coin I would lay out for a un-numbered card of questionable quality.

These jersey number cards at least are numbered, but does anyone really know or care what jersey number they are wearing? Looking at the Steve Smith card the 49 could just as well be the number of runs Steve Smith scores on average - although I am sure its slightly higher! ;)

These jersey cards look nice, but imo they are nothing special. They are not on any thicker cardboard or anything. But then again I think the numbered 'Ultimate Performers' cards in the release are nothing special either and they are even higher ratios.

I agree with @edygriff21 - its a con job in an attempt to add value to an over-inflated set selling at an over-inflated packet price.

Personally I wouldn't pay $100 for the card, but no doubt there would be people who might consider that price a bargain.

Anyway, what would I know, I am not a card valuer nor a dealer, and with people wanting $200 for an Ultimate Performer card, then anything is possible. There are some gold jersey available currently in the range from $150 - $250+

Last edited:
There are a couple now listed on eBay for $199 or best offer & $499 or best offer.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2016-17-...965460?hash=item3d2b26c254:g:QoYAAOSw44BYKA4-

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2016-17-...718460?hash=item3ad2249ebc:g:ossAAOSwcLxYKA6K

Also a couple in @Diggaz TC store
http://www.diggaztradingcards.com.a...cket-cards/201617-ca-bbl/gold-jersey-numbers/

The market has spoken. That should be enough detail for the person who has this card to make a call, and if he wants to sell it then set a price, maybe with a 'or best offer' tag, and be done with it.

There are a couple now listed on eBay for $199 or best offer & $499 or best offer.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2016-17-...965460?hash=item3d2b26c254:g:QoYAAOSw44BYKA4-

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2016-17-...718460?hash=item3ad2249ebc:g:ossAAOSwcLxYKA6K

Also a couple in @Diggaz TC store
http://www.diggaztradingcards.com.a...cket-cards/201617-ca-bbl/gold-jersey-numbers/

The market has spoken. That should be enough detail for the person who has this card to make a call, and if he wants to sell it then set a price, maybe with a 'or best offer' tag, and be done with it.
The market hasn't spoken at all!!! Show some completed auctions and your statement will have credibility. Putting a rediculous price on something, isn't setting the market.

May I suggest we adjourn this discussion until the cards hit the greater market. We still haven't seen the product in retail outlets as yet. We are one week closer with the last "in store" announcement being Monday 21st. It is only online resellers who have had access to the product thus far. Again, the tournament doesn't start until the 20th December so maybe their true worth won't be achieved until January of next year.

I will finish with the fact that not all these cards will end up on the internet for sale or trade. The beauty is they are randomly inserted so anyone with a lazy $5.00 can buy a packet from their local newsagent or service station and have the opportunity to jag something special....... more than likely they won't know they have hit something special so will end up with a collection of cards and a rubber band around them !!!! Oh the memories !!

Adjourned!
Some great respones, views and opinions!
No doubt there will be plenty more too discuss when more cards become available.
Great stuff guys!!
Cheers
Alan

Screenshot_2016-11-14-18-52-04.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom