State of the market!

rolesy7

OzCardTrader
Real Name
ian
eBay User
moony2020
Hi everyone, just interested in opinions on the current state of the market? Been trying to sell a few cards lately but not even getting a nibble. Are certain players still selling well or is it market wide?

Cheers

Market wide.
  • Christmas time dries up liquid funds. Always happens at this time of year.
  • Covid protocols hurting the league right now.
  • NFL playoffs piques the interest as they are about to start.
  • Probably not as much liquid cash and interest around trading cards as there was 12 months ago. As the world returns to some sort of normal.
  • Zion hype has turned into Zion hope
  • Also dependent nds on player and type of card.

The balls are getting lower these days as well... I would nearly take the low ball offers of a couple of years ago compared to where they are now....

Ebay was always somewhere i would get quick sales but the last LeBron card I put up had 20 odd views in 2 weeks, so I guess people ain't even looking for cards at the moment.

27981F0B-E2E6-46F2-BC16-B96BC50141FD.jpeg

Alternatively, it's a fantastic time to buy. I've been grabbing PC bargains all over the place - especially auctions ending the week before Christmas.

Selling has been slower than usual, but it's a grind and I have a long-term plan/goal for my collection this year so not in a rush.
Agree, a good lull in the NBA market so a chance to chip away at the PC.
Supremacy gutted the market of cash (eBay) but saw a strong spike on the trade front.
Expect a rebound in NBA & AFL sale transactions in the next week or two.

PS. Would love an interest rate rise here to make the US & SMC transactions sting a little less. 0.80USD would be lovely.

It’s definitely the worst time to sell, possibly ever. Sky high box costs, an epic range of group breakers and people having money tied up in the PSA backlog has made it tight for a lot of people. It’s mostly the people trying to cash out of the hobby that are complaining though so shite happens , they can wait, especially those who only came for the quick buck.

When you see people preselling the breaking a Box of Immaculate Basketball and the total group break spots add up to $5000 you know its a great time to be alive!

Then when you pull a Swen Nater auto for the $500 you paid for your spot....... well many swear words will be spoken! LOL

the inevitable plateau...thought it would happen alot earlier, but covid really extended the madness. now watch all the 'long-term' investors abandon ship.
dont think we'll see another bubble like that for a loooong time.

the inevitable plateau...thought it would happen alot earlier, but covid really extended the madness. now watch all the 'long-term' investors abandon ship.
dont think we'll see another bubble like that for a loooong time.

I think we will see the high end stuff stay strong.......but anything mass produced will come back down to earth.

If you want to buy an MJ auto....... probably will still be paying high prices.

If you want to buy Luka/Zion/Ja/Lamelo etc stuff that was mass produced......they will probably be more affordable in the near future.

I think we will see the high end stuff stay strong.......but anything mass produced will come back down to earth.

If you want to buy an MJ auto....... probably will still be paying high prices.

If you want to buy Luka/Zion/Ja/Lamelo etc stuff that was mass produced......they will probably be more affordable in the near future.
yeah, zion & co. is who im talking about. the ones getting hundreds of $$$ for a hoops base RC.
MJ is an anomaly in the hobby tho. one of the only players to not only hold value but even appreciate. pretty impressive over 35 years. im not sure anyone else has that kind of long term investment record or potential. basically, i dont think anyone active today will hold their value over that period...

When you see people preselling the breaking a Box of Immaculate Basketball and the total group break spots add up to $5000 you know its a great time to be alive!

Then when you pull a Swen Nater auto for the $500 you paid for your spot....... well many swear words will be spoken! LOL

EDIT - just saw a box of Immaculate FOTL Busted - rough price $4000 USD for a Hobby Box

The cards were:

Killian Hayes Base #/99
Luke Kennard Jersey #/99
Markelle Fultz 1 Colour Patch #/10
Tony Parker Patch Auto Premium Edition Redemption #/15
Aaron Nesmith Shoe Patch Auto Premium Edition #/25
Isaac Okoro Rookie Introductions Auto #/99

If I had paid $4000+ USD for a box of that I think I would cry for a very long time......

Good thing if the market crashes, I might finally be able to afford some packs and boxes, people will stop buying every packet in the shops to resell for 4-10 times what they paid, people who don’t even collect or have any interest in cards are making a fortune, When the market hits rock bottom their stashes will be worthless And they might sell for a reasonable price, I enjoy collecting but even low end products are way over priced, it’s a shame collecting Cards had the potential to take off again but Greed stopped it in its tracks.

Back
Top Bottom