Should some designs/card sets alway be short printed??

chadjaja

On the way back!
Real Name
John Holmes
We have all seen jersey cards flooded to the point of not being worth much. Now the dual colour ones are heading that way. And of course autos. This has all been discussed at length before here.

My question is are there any sets or designs that you think should ALWAYS be produced in small quantities to keep their value high and the lust factor higher?

I know we would all love jersey autos, lettermans and logoman but if they were common place would we want them as much?

For example Topps making 10 different designed sets of letterman for players means some players could have 80 letterman cards on the market!

I'd like rare cards to stay rare and if I can't get one then just drool over the pics of them. Cards for everyone lends itself to a hobby with no value.

Flame away :twisted:

I think autographs and GU's should always be limited. It's so sad how these cards can go as low as 0.99 for even semi-stars or nobodies.

I reckon autographs should always be limited to 100 or less per set in a product release, and jerseys not more than 250.. patches limited to 150 or less.

While it's nice that we player collector's can obtain autos at cheap prices, it's not too appealing when we show off our autos and then a million other people have the same card.

But I reckon limited print run should only go with autos/jerseys/and patches... as well as rookie cards. I reckon RCs should always be limited to at most 1999. :D

Gold parallels and the likes are crap. Even 1/1's. They're plain, and worthless, and so easy to make. It just makes our lives difficult. Even them refractors. :p

P.S... for 1/1 printing plates, they're crap. They should just release autographed versions to make it really worth something.

We have all seen jersey cards flooded to the point of not being worth much. Now the dual colour ones are heading that way. And of course autos. This has all been discussed at length before here.

My question is are there any sets or designs that you think should ALWAYS be produced in small quantities to keep their value high and the lust factor higher?

I know we would all love jersey autos, lettermans and logoman but if they were common place would we want them as much?

For example Topps making 10 different designed sets of letterman for players means some players could have 80 letterman cards on the market!

I'd like rare cards to stay rare and if I can't get one then just drool over the pics of them. Cards for everyone lends itself to a hobby with no value.

Flame away

Exactly right! But thats not going to happen because the card companies are making a bucket load of money by pumping out as many cards as possible.

Its crazy how Topps is making "home AND away" Lettermens!!! 1/1 are now overproduced,Press plates are the same(000's in Topps Finest) and autos. Next up will be Logomans.

kidd05 said:
I think autographs and GU's should always be limited. It's so sad how these cards can go as low as 0.99 for even semi-stars or nobodies.

I reckon autographs should always be limited to 100 or less per set in a product release, and jerseys not more than 250.. patches limited to 150 or less.

While it's nice that we player collector's can obtain autos at cheap prices, it's not too appealing when we show off our autos and then a million other people have the same card.

But I reckon limited print run should only go with autos/jerseys/and patches... as well as rookie cards. I reckon RCs should always be limited to at most 1999. :D

Gold parallels and the likes are crap. Even 1/1's. They're plain, and worthless, and so easy to make. It just makes our lives difficult. Even them refractors. :p

P.S... for 1/1 printing plates, they're crap. They should just release autographed versions to make it really worth something.

Agreed!! :D

I remember opening boxes when inserts were not auto'd, game used or photo shoot worn!!

In those days an Electric Gold/Refractor/Gold Signature/Predictor or even a You Crash the Game Card would be the highlight!!! :shock:

I was looking through some old Penny Hardaway cards tonight and I had 2 'limited edition cards" that made me smile....one was limited to 25,000 and the other to 39,000. One of my first prized possessions was a Penny Classic Auto limited to 2,500....ultra rare!!! :D

Personally I would like to see:

Rookies to #1999
Jersey cards to #150 (With bigger jersey pieces i.e Trilogy Swatches of Stardom)
Patches to #50 (with bigger pieces of the patch i.e Ultimate Collection Premium Patches)

Autographs to at most 50 or the players number, and no stickers!!!

One thing I would also like to see is that the game used piece of jersey placed on the card the right way up......One of my pet peeves is when you have a really nice patch card and the piece of jersey patch is upside down!!! :twisted:

Cheers
Matt

I hate it as well. I dont even really know what I'm bidding on atm =/

Draft day hats, balls, jackets, wtf so many?!

Whats next, Draft Day Undies!! :lol:

the art of collecting is getting something rare. popularity will drop off if everything suddenly becomes common. who wants to own a 1/1 parallel which only sells for $10??

Dude, as long as we keep buying shitloads of boxes looking for Autos - the card companies will keep saturating their product with shitloads of Autos!

I personally think that Autos should be as rare as only 25 per player! Game Used should be something like 50 per player!
Rookies, maybe only 1000 of them.

1/1s are the coolest idea, but with so many - they're going to be as common as dirt soon. Limit them to around 10 per set as well...

It's all spiralling into uncontrolled madness... and while you have desperate fuckwits willing to unload their stuff on Ebay for peanuts the situation will not improve.

How many of the Topps Finest breaks here have given the 'breaker' a profit yet? I'd be interested to know. Oh, and if you don't know what I mean by profit - it means making more money than what you paid for the cards.

I'll still buy a few boxes on occasion, because I love the 'break feeling'. But I know that my money is done as soon as I open the plastic wrapper.

chadjaja said:

Hmm the real question people. What sets/subsets SHOULD remain rare and hard to get???

All the "old" sets should be short printed.
By "old", I mean the sets that have been produced without interruption for 3-4 years at least:

- Ultra Scoring Kings
- Upper Deck Game Jersey
- Skybox Autographics

I'd love to see Upper deck releasing a Upper Deck SE 2005-06, with the same design as the original set released in 1994:
- the Electric Court parallel set would have to be numbered to 500, and the Electric Gold to 25.
- the Behind the Glass insert would be transparent, with a piece of board
- the Die-Cut All-Stars insert would be GU/autographed and numbered to 100

Back
Top Bottom