sale threads

jared_davey

John Wall Collector
Real Name
Jared
eBay User
Jared_davey
why cant people list their prices in their sale threads?
blowout do it and it works so much better.

sorry if offends anyone, but..

its pretty sad when everyone is like 'make an offer, make an offer'
just hoping that someone makes a stupidly high offer to scrounge a few extra $$ out of a fellow collector.

i know that most things are sale driven, so why cant it be mandatory that prices are listed, or atleast a ballpark figure?
i would have sent 60% of my PMs to people trying to get a price on a card.

this is possibly more of a frustration post and nothing will happen, but WTH.

:v:

Because you're wrong.

It's not because they are "just hoping that someone makes a stupidly high offer to scrounge a few extra $$ out of a fellow collector."

It is because they want to get as much as they can. The card might be worth $500 to them. However the market value might be $400. If they have to list a price it's either going to be so high that you get people saying how dumb their price is, or they might put $375 and someone who was willing to pay $450 gets it - so they lose out on potential dollars - while they still take a loss or are disappointed with the price.
PLUS, what I've noticed is that despite listing a price people still ask 'what's the best you can do?'.

If someone wants to buy the card, they should know how much they're willing to pay for it. What's so hard about offering an amount up to what you're willing to pay for something that you want?

Because you're wrong.

It's not because they are "just hoping that someone makes a stupidly high offer to scrounge a few extra $$ out of a fellow collector."

It is because they want to get as much as they can. The card might be worth $500 to them. However the market value might be $400. If they have to list a price it's either going to be so high that you get people saying how dumb their price is, or they might put $375 and someone who was willing to pay $450 gets it - so they lose out on potential dollars - while they still take a loss or are disappointed with the price.
PLUS, what I've noticed is that despite listing a price people still ask 'what's the best you can do?'.

If someone wants to buy the card, they should know how much they're willing to pay for it. What's so hard about offering an amount up to what you're willing to pay for something that you want?

fair call mate. fair call.

i understand that everyone wants to make as much as they can, i do it too, were all human.
i just get a little frustrated having to ask all the time.
i have made offers on what cards are typically worth, generally on USA forums, only to be bereated about low-balling and the likes.

i didnt expect everyone to agree. thanks for your point of view :thumbsup:

And I'm sure you'll find that it entirely depends on what side you are on - if you are the seller or buyer. Both parties will not want to divulge the minimum/maximum that they are willing to take/give because it could result in missing out on $$.

There will always be an argument about it. But unfortunately because of lowballers people have to list a higher price if they do list one...

IMO people should just check ebay/COMC/other, before they sell a card.
Then use either completed listings or current BIN's to gauge the price.

Im pretty sure thats what most of the people that buy on this site do. (including me)

If you cant find another card the same as yours, eg. rare 1/1 then just a sloppy $500 on your
sale thread and see what people say.

I don't think Jared is wrong at all!

If someone has a card with a market value of $400 but they want $500, they simply list $500 as their sell price???? Straight forward, no?
If they are POSSIBLY willing to accept less, they should write OBO!

I think in most sale threads, people who don't put up prices are either too lazy to look them up or hoping to get a higher than eBay price!
You would probably find that they lose potential sales too by not having prices up! There are a Lot of cards that I may have bought on here that I didn't simply because I don't want to have to ask for a price every time!

Nuff said - Blair rules!

I don't think Jared is wrong at all!

If someone has a card with a market value of $400 but they want $500, they simply list $500 as their sell price???? Straight forward, no?
If they are POSSIBLY willing to accept less, they should write OBO!

I think in most sale threads, people who don't put up prices are either too lazy to look them up or hoping to get a higher than eBay price!
You would probably find that they lose potential sales too by not having prices up! There are a Lot of cards that I may have bought on here that I didn't simply because I don't want to have to ask for a price every time!

Nuff said - Blair rules!

You're wrong too.

Frye rules.

Wait... the the hell have I just typed...??

And I'm sure you'll find that it entirely depends on what side you are on - if you are the seller or buyer. Both parties will not want to divulge the minimum/maximum that they are willing to take/give because it could result in missing out on $$.

There will always be an argument about it. But unfortunately because of lowballers people have to list a higher price if they do list one...

Fine then list the price....at least then buyers will know a ball park figure !!!
Amazing how many times ive made offers before only to have to wait hours or even days before i find out the buyer is running a silent auction and the card sold to some1 else.
No reply from the seller either
Do we want more for our cards...absolutely
But be up front..dont keep people waiting while you play them of against each other
This is a card site..not an auction house..or start a thread and run an auction

I think both Jared and Hairy are right and wrong in some ways.

This is just using real estate as a typical example. Normally, you will see that there is a rough estimate/ball park figure for houses in the low and mid range pricing, and that is because there is an establised market for such houses and the prices should not differ too much for similiar characteristics. However, for the high-end homes, most of them are generally 1 of a kind and few of it s kind, most of them are really subjected to Price on Application or by tender or by best offer. Again, such homes do not have any established values and it only based on what the next willing buyer is going to pay.

Some of these real estate characteristics can be applied to card collecting. Really for low and mid-end cards, there is already an established price so I don't see why the price can't be listed. If the seller is just trying to hold out for an extra dollar on low and mid-end card, he may make that extra dollar early in the piece but his reputation will eventually suffer and everybody would stay away from him. Many other sellers would under-cut him and he would eventually have to drop his price to market. Again for high end cards ( generally >$1,000 and especially those with little past sales history), this is a different market altogether. The seller can maxmise the value of his cards by asking for best offers which may or may not be up to the seller's expectations but at least he has a shot of getting a value more than he could be asking.

I am actually with Jared on this and this site seldom deals on really high-end stuff, so I don't see why the seller can't list their prices.

I am actually with Jared on this and this site seldom deals on really high-end stuff, so I don't see why the seller can't list their prices.

Doesn't have to be $1000+ though. And maybe this is part of me being a snob when it comes to cards that I don't really deal in lower-end stuff.
But like my Jordan auto I'm willing to move. I know what I paid for it. I know my asking price is probably above what most people would think is market value. But there have only been about 2 of that exact one on ebay in the last year or two, and I wouldn't want to let it go cheap. So I'd consider offers.

Same thing could apply to lower-end stuff though. I had a Jordan Planet Metal. I got it in a trade when it was worth about $50. Next thing I know they're selling for over $100. Somebody wanted it so I let them make an offer. Ended up taking about $85-90 on it because that's what a similar one had sold for recently. Had they offered $75 I'd possibly have taken it, but at the same time because they had been going for over $100 I kinda wanted that much and felt like I should have gotten more.

Doesn't have to be $1000+ though. And maybe this is part of me being a snob when it comes to cards that I don't really deal in lower-end stuff.
But like my Jordan auto I'm willing to move. I know what I paid for it. I know my asking price is probably above what most people would think is market value. But there have only been about 2 of that exact one on ebay in the last year or two, and I wouldn't want to let it go cheap. So I'd consider offers.

Same thing could apply to lower-end stuff though. I had a Jordan Planet Metal. I got it in a trade when it was worth about $50. Next thing I know they're selling for over $100. Somebody wanted it so I let them make an offer. Ended up taking about $85-90 on it because that's what a similar one had sold for recently. Had they offered $75 I'd possibly have taken it, but at the same time because they had been going for over $100 I kinda wanted that much and felt like I should have gotten more.

Damn!! you typed all that in your sleep!

not_this_sh_again.jpg

Back
Top Bottom