Hockey NHL Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

So it appears the Canucks and Rangers will be trading coaches, Alain Vigneault has been announced as the Rangers new coach while John Tortorella is set to be announced soon as the Canucks new coach.

Cory Schnider headed to the devils for 9th draft pick.

Not a bad deal except we have one of the best goalies of all time, and can't score a bloody goal.

Think we need to re think the direction.

A massively divisive deal, akin to Hodgson.

Lu's deal is a noose around their neck, big dollars and only a handful of teams he's willing to move to. Unless Gillis slit his own throat at the deal table Lu was never going anywhere, despite his request to be traded.

Which left Schnieder as the only viable piece to move. Cap space is shrinking and someone had to go.

Devils did well, only giving up a single draft pick (albeit a top 10 pick). Brodeur is not long off retirement (mind you Alfredsson has committed to another season!) and Hedburg is only a year younger, Schnieder is in the box seat to become a legend at a much loved club.

Post-deal Lu refused all media calls, only to say he was shocked and needs to re-assess his situation... whatever that means.

Schnieder too was shocked, but also incredibly excited to work with Brodeur. Being a Boston native it also moves him a lot closer to home.

Myself, I'm pretty ambivalent. Schnieder is a good goalie with the potential to be great, but he was made starter last season and wasn't exactly stellar. But neither was Luongo, though if you really wanted to you could pin his performance down to the uncertainty of his future.

Hopefully this means Lack moves to back up, he's paid his dues in the AHL for 3 years and is a great talent in his own right. Hopefully by the time he's ready to become a starter, Lu is a lot easier to move.

Best thing out of this is Vancouver used their pick to swoop on a prospect Chicago were looking at taking, and expressed their displeasure on twitter. Hope he turns out to be star, because like Kassian he'll forever be tied to a contentious trade.

(oh and Vancouver picked up PK Subban's youngest brother, Jordan, in the 4th round - massive potential there.)

Ilya Kovalchuk has bailed on the the remaining 12 years and $77 million on his deal with the Devils to head back to SKA St Petersburg, citing a desire to return to his homeland (he did return awfully late after the lockout was over). The kicker; he could become the highest paid Hockey player in the world with some outlets reporting he'll earn between $15-20 million a season.

Bad enough the Devils have lost a vital ingredient to their scoring potency, to do so a week into Free Agency when the market has dried up is a real kick in the teeth. Not to mention Ilya's 15 year deal came at the cost of a first round pick, and now they'll take a $330,000 cap hit for the next 12 years. And it's a season removed from losing Parise.

Maybe they'll make a play for Mason Raymond

Forgot to mention, I read Journeyman by Sean Pronger last week, I highly recommend it, even if you're not a hockey fan.

Unlike a lot of sports books about success, this about a guy that bounced around 5 different leagues, for 16 teams, in an 11 year career, all while living with the mark of being Chris Pronger's brother. Not only does it have some great anecdotes (especially one about Kevin Bieksa when he joined Vancouver) but it gives an insight into those guys fans flippantly dismiss, who are merely happy to just have a regular spot on the 4th line of an NHL team. It talks about the disparity between being in the NHL and outside the NHL and the heavy physical and emotional toll a pro career can place on an individual.

Mason Raymond finally finds a new home signing a 1 year, $1mil deal with Toronto.

And who says pre-season is meaningless! Between Kassian getting 8 games for breaking Gagner's jaw, two guys getting 10 games for leaving the bench to fight, and Sabres & Leafs engaging in a good old donnybrook, Hockey is alive and well after a lockout disrupted season!

Also, Hunter Shinkaruk with a helluva goal on debut

Was really excited for 13-14 Prizm Hockey

and then I found out about the parallel sets

Blue parallels are Wal-Mart exclusive

Red parallels are Target exclusive

and Purple Cracked Ice are wrapper redemptions

:thumbsdown:

Flyers are heading backwards 0-3 to start then they fire coach Laviolette , i dont think he was the problem that lies with the goose chairman snider i wish he would leave. Long season ahead and all could be doomed if we loose to Florida tomorrow..

I think we've seen the promise that Torts brings to the Canucks in their game against Calgary. After 2 lackluster periods he splits the twins and switches the lines up, and they fire, snatching the game back in OT

Lack started in goal and was fantastic, given he pretty much sat out most of the last AHL season after hip surgery. So glad I decided to start a Lack PC late year :D

How good was oilers game today great come back.. 4 goals in 3rd period with shootout win!!
oilers are buildding a nice team im tipping them to lift the stanley cup in 3 years just a few pieces of the puzzle left of a very good side and young side to.

tbh it feels like forever that Edmonton has been building back into a cup contender, yet another post-season passes and they still fail to fill their biggest hole right in front of goal.

Back
Top Bottom