Make an offer..get rid of it i say..

Should we make for sale items have a price

• Agreed...no more make an offer items

Votes: 64 71.1%
  • Disagree..I can live with it.

Votes: 26 28.9%

• Total voters
I agree with Graham. I never put make an offer in any thread, in the past I have been MOST vocal about people putting "make an offer" in threads to the point where some nasty PM's have been exchanged. (all patched up with one member, hes a top dude:v:, not patched up with the other guy, he shouldnt be allowed to breathe, biggest time waster on this or any other site:mad::mad::mad:)

I tend to put "PM me if your interested" in my sale threads with a picture of the card. That way if I do get a PM from someone, I know they are genuinely interested and I return PM the price. I found it cuts down on the other time wasters of just replying in a thread saying "PM me a price" then never hearing back from them.

I know when I read a thread with a price in it, I instantly think thats the fixed price no exceptions. Spose putting "price is $XXX, or closest offer" makes it a bit easier for folks to negotiate.

I agree with Graham. I never put make an offer in any thread, in the past I have been MOST vocal about people putting "make an offer" in threads to the point where some nasty PM's have been exchanged. (all patched up with one member, hes a top dude:v:, not patched up with the other guy, he shouldnt be allowed to breathe, biggest time waster on this or any other site:mad::mad::mad:)

I tend to put "PM me if your interested" in my sale threads with a picture of the card. That way if I do get a PM from someone, I know they are genuinely interested and I return PM the price. I found it cuts down on the other time wasters of just replying in a thread saying "PM me a price" then never hearing back from them.

I know when I read a thread with a price in it, I instantly think thats the fixed price no exceptions. Spose putting "price is $XXX, or closest offer" makes it a bit easier for folks to negotiate.

All comes down to the wording I guess!

But if you put a price in ya thread with prices are fixed then they know what your after!!:thumbsup:

I would also love to see the "make an offer" wiped out completely. It syas to me that you are either a) not serious about selling your card and are simply wasting everyone's time by testing the market, and also b) that you have not thought seriously enough about the sale to spending 2 minutes thinking about a price for your card.

If you are serious then put a price in the thread!! Many people on this site still put in offers for less than what you are asking. Good luck to them but at least they know where to start negotiating if noone is buying for the full listed price.

I collect cricket and AFL and saw an awesome Jordan auto for sale in the past couple of days with no price listed - just "i am accepting offers" or something similar. Well how can people with no NBA pricing knowledge (ie me!) know what the card is worth and what to offer? Is it $200? $500? $2000? I have no idea. It might also help attract people from other sections of this forum who don't normally buy that sport - I would love a Jordan auto, and I'm sure there are others who might be tempted to buy cricket or football who normally don't if there is a price attached to the cards that are for sale so they know what a particular card is worth.

yeh thats a fair point u bring up senior. when i first started on ozcards, ALL my sale threads were "best offer please". but man personally i think it delays any sales/trades and possibly keeps more potential buyers/traders away too. u gotta remember no.1, most sellers would like to make the most and sell a card for as high as they can get, and at the same token the buyer would like to buy the card for the cheapest he can get it. i voted yes get rid of the offer threads.

I also find those that put prices up on for sale threads send far less problem pm's to the Admin team as deals go more smoothly and they cop less time wasting members and problems working out deals via pm.

how many times has this thread been made... This is going to continue coming up time and time again and nothing will change as most sellers want the best money they can and most buyers want the cheapest price they can. And everyone raves on about it being a hobby but then in the next breath they will start a thread with what is the best investment you have made. investment does not = hobby... Rant end

how many times has this thread been made... This is going to continue coming up time and time again and nothing will change as most sellers want the best money they can and most buyers want the cheapest price they can. And everyone raves on about it being a hobby but then in the next breath they will start a thread with what is the best investment you have made. investment does not = hobby... Rant end

It would appear if you look at the poll that a huge majority would disagree :D

Id be interested to see how many threads with "accepting offers" just keep on running. I know of a couple of another site, one in particular, where the thread is on its third page of "accepting offers", three pages worth of offers made and bumps from the thread stater, and yet no sale?? Come on!!! Get serious, SELL THE DAMN THING!!!

On another note, PORTLAND BEAT PHOENIX, WHOO HOOO!!!!! :D:D

ive just added to the original post...ide like the admin team to consider this..or a modified version of it...cheers

I've mentioned it a few times too, if you know how much you don't want for it,
then you must know how much you do want for it.
even trade lists should have a trade price.

this make an offer thing is just something very new, and before it gets into the culture of card collecting, I think it should be stopped and a uniform system be started.
forget about a few that won't change, that's no problem, but for future collectors and newbies in trading online i think a system that the general hobby use would help get things back on track, the make me an offer thing will go away aventually.

I like the idea of a price with or make offer or PM me etc, especially for the newer members.

When I joined, i was coming back into the hobby after a while off and had no real idea of what the market was doing, and what people expected to pay vs ebay, took some reading through the threads and a few deals to get the hang of it. I had a card listed with a price that was unrealistic I think but no-one really made a comment of the price I should expect of it or what they wanted to pay, and maybe I got a few lowball offers too.

If people have an idea of a price they're after then no harm saying $XX or PM me with offer as they may be willing to accept a few $$ less.

Don't know if what i have typed makes sense but can't be bothered re-reading it, heads a bit fuzzy from meds :drool:

It would appear if you look at the poll that a huge majority would disagree :D

Maybe it just proves there is more buyers than sellers here.

And the other comment on there should be a trade price is a ridiculas comment. If you have a card for trade how do you know what the potential buyer will have? If your forced to have a list a potential trade may be lost as someone may over look the thread even if they have something else you would accept

I did vote to get read of best offer threads. However making a price compulsary, what about if you have a lot of cards for trade but also accept sales but would prefer trades. Would you need to put you sale prices up. Or if you would sell for BV or half B/V would that description at the top be fine.
Important to think about how this would apply to all kinds or selling and trading and not the simple situation where a seller has 1 card in the thread saying for sale best offers.

Maybe it just proves there is more buyers than sellers here.

And the other comment on there should be a trade price is a ridiculas comment. If you have a card for trade how do you know what the potential buyer will have? If your forced to have a list a potential trade may be lost as someone may over look the thread even if they have something else you would accept

Ive been around long enough to know a lot of the votes are from sellers as well...most of the top sellers here inc myself voted yes .
Im not getting into the trade side ..this is for selling only.

I did vote to get read of best offer threads. However making a price compulsary, what about if you have a lot of cards for trade but also accept sales but would prefer trades. Would you need to put you sale prices up. Or if you would sell for BV or half B/V would that description at the top be fine.
Important to think about how this would apply to all kinds or selling and trading and not the simple situation where a seller has 1 card in the thread saying for sale best offers.

Afraid i cant answer all the questions matie..ive kept this issue about sales only
After a few recent dealings i though ide get this up just to show the moderators here that the vast majority would prefer to see a price listed.

Its in there hands now...maybe they will do something or not..
Im sure they will post up if there are to be any changes.

---------- Post added 11-02-2010 at 09:15 PM ----------

ok dude... :) good luck with your mission

Cheers ...may be when you get another few hundred dealings under your belt youll feel as strongly as i do about it..:D
Whatever happens...i wont be harping on and on and on :lol:

Well like someone else suggested...... maybe you could just say to PM if interested in anything you will then give them a price..... solves the hassle of having to price everything. :)

Get rid of OFFERS!! It is so frustrating when you see a for sale thread and then you see "plz make an offer" I can't be bothered! Prices marked all the way!

Back
Top Bottom