How To Crack A Beckett / BGS Case (aka Ahhhhh the relief!)

graham

Site Admin
Real Name
Graham
eBay User
ozcardtrader
COMC User
ozcardtrader
Everyone should try this at home, such a great feeling :D

IMG_2939.jpg

Hill33 takes no responsibility for any damage you may cause to yourself or your cards if you do in fact try this at home. It is fun though.

Can I ask what method was applied and what tools were used in the liberating of the G Hill card??

Sure!

I used a pair of these :
cutters.jpg

Then at the top of the card, there is an edge around BGS cards. I start by snapping the edges off. I just go around the top of the card, and a little bit down the side. The thing to note here, is that when you do this, pieces of plastic fly everywhere. I actually hold the card inside a plastic bag, and I hold the bag open, when ive got grip and ready to snap a piece off, I close the bag and snap so the bits go in there.

I keep going around the top edge and take bits off, then once ive taken the edge off, I try and snap a corner off. The way the BGS cards are sealed, you really need to get into the seal first, and then once thats done you can just slowly pull the two sides apart to break the seal the whole way down.

Heres some pics of the finished product. You can see its not pretty, but it works :)

snap1.jpg

snap2.jpg

snap3.jpg

butter knife or a sledge hammer??? :p

getting it regraded obviously?

Yep - how'd you guess ? :) Im going to guess it will be a PSA 9 - a few surface indentations (which are a characteristic of this card) will drop it. I could be wrong however (it does happen sometimes :p).

I was gonna say Plyers and a screw driver work well too.

I love the bit about causing damage to yourself and the cards, cos man those edges can get nasty on those cases.

I've busted a few myself.

If you think it is only going to get a PSA 9 why are you getting it re-graded ???
(Please excuse my ignorance on the grading systems, I'm not into them).

Also done many times- not to be re-graded, but found cheap on ebay and to go into my pc. (pc also spaced with gaps left of missing Shaqs- 1458/3608+)

psa's case is imo so farkin ugly and cheap looking, why would you think that's better looking than bgs?? :)

If that's your opinion, wouldnt it be irrelevant for Hill to give his now?

IMO, they fit the cards much better, they's smaller, they're not subject to chipping, and they sit better on stands...

And they aren't lying cheating bastards with backdoor grading for some cheapening any card graded by BGS. Yet BGS don't crack down on it at all. Also they don't keep changing the design of the holder so your cards for sets match and their grading techniques and difficulty hasn't changed either.

In other words PSA has credability ;-)

Its got little to do with looks and if you would prefer a card slabbed for looks you would use SGC. And if you do think like that then why get it graded in the first place.

I swear I flushed the case on that one, not the card! LMAO

If you need any more proof as to which grading company is more credible, go and take a look at ANY of the sports card auction houses (i'm not talking about Ebay here) and tell me what the percentage of PSA to BGS cards up for auction is ...

Back
Top Bottom