Horry like Pippen?

mickimouse24

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Micki
Heya everyone...ive always wanted to talk about the comparisum between Scottie Pippen and Robert Horry....to me they are very very simular in terms of skill..maybe pippen has had better ball handling skills..like in terms of bring the ball up etc. Sure they have both won 6 championships each..can I get some of your comments about these 2 great all around players?

pippenhorry_305.jpg

I would have considered Pip to be the better of the two.

But I mean Bob's still kicking, he'll make a HOFer for sure!

Probably Pip gets the edge....

Do you think Horry should go to the Hall of fame? i mean some of the stuff he has done....could be be 1 of the greatest "Roll" players of all time?..i think most basketball fans will still be about about what horry did 15 - 20 years from now dont you think? (lol tell the grand kids lol....i remember wayyyyy back when Mr Robert Horry played back in teh olden days lol)

big shot bob and pip geez what a match up that would be back when they were in there prime

only prob was bob never got a chance to show his ability to lead a team

he was always role player

but i agree hand em the ball for that well needed three or have em in the open lane and its a sure deal

pips ball skills bring him out into lead though

yeah very true....that would be a great match up....thing is they played different positions as well...and different heights..pip 6"7..i think bobby is like 6"10?..still.....i love putting them on the same team on 1 of my NBA live games haha...they would be the best...imagine them on the same team...god would be wicked...funny when you think about it in 12 years of NBA titles...1991-92-93 = Pip Wins Titles...1994-95 = Horry Wins Titles...1996-97-98 = Pip Wins Titles.....2000 - 2001 - 2002...Horry Wins Titles lol...oh yeah 2005 lol...i would of loved these 2 to have had a chance to be teammates...thats 1 thing i think will only be for the video games..

Pippen def had better hops and would drive a lot more, horry was more a set shot player

i dunno if Horry is HOF material, has he been on any all nba teams, all star teams?

so to make the hall of fame you have to have at least made it to the all star game (for half a season's work) and been all first/second/thrid teams?.....do you think horry deserves to be an all star at least once?...i think he's under rated

hall of fame has nothing to do with all star games etc, its about contributions to bball....i;ll be very disapointed if I dont see Gaze Snr and Jnr enshrined one day...

but take a look, they have score people and refs/coaches too etc!

a few years ago a laker fan came onto a spurs site mouthing off about Horry as HOF...and I thought how stupid....NOW, im biased, and I watched him again and again come through in the clutch, so he might sneak in one day!

Do you think Horry is basketball's best clutch performer? now that Reggie Miller has retired?

With Pip and Horry though....yes pip was alot better at making his team mates better...as horry could hit shots under presure more than pip..

How do you guys compare these 2 players on the defence side? pip great at steals...horry better at shot blocking..?

I think I would rather have Kobe doing the finishing for me. He has more under his belt over time too and the rings to match but he does it game after game not just in June.

Horry is no HOF'er though. Springfield isn't for him.

No comparison in my books..

Can't believe that a guy that does it all season long for a dynasty team gets compared to one of the best playoff gamers. 82 games is a long time. :wink:

Pippen is way better :D i might be a little bias but pippen was a more complete player he had great offensive skills, great defensive skills and the the ability to make others around him better, horry is a good player no doubt, good in the clutch but isnt as well rounded as pippen

imo

horry has always been 'talked-up' more than he is worth, due to his late game heroics in past nba finals..

as we know, pippen lived in MJ's shadow for much of his career, and i believe that he never got the respect he deserved..

pippen is definantly a more complete player than horry, and HOF material, horry is not HOF materials, altho i believe that he should go down as one of the greatest clutch players in the game

I really miss pip...do you guys remember in like 94 or 95....(when MJ was playing baseball) they were going to trade pip to the sonics for shawn kemp?...you have to wonder....how much better pip would have become (was always greattttt) if michael jordan didnt come back...pip was like mvp material for sure....he will go down as the best all around player in not only NBA history....but in alllllll of Basketball history..ar i miss him..thankgod for dvds

mickimouse24 said:
.he will go down as the best all around player in not only NBA history....but in alllllll of Basketball history..ar i miss him..thankgod for dvds

OK then :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

haha yeah true..its like with power fowards...do you remember how they were saying how karl malone is the best power forward of all time etc.....wouldnt you think tim duncan is now?

Back to your Pippen thing. You are not going to like foxsports dig at the top small forwards of all time. My avatar may start to get some respect? LOL

This category is the toughest to rate simply because small forwards are arguably the NBA's best all-around athletes. They must be able to handle and rebound, drive and spot-shoot, play inside and outside, run and bang—and also guard each other.

No. 1 - LARRY BIRD

Compared to the other top-flight small forwards, Larry Bird certainly wasn't much of an athlete. He was an inconsistent perimeter shooter, except when a ballgame was racing toward the final buzzer. And if he wasn't an exceptional man-to-man defender, Bird compensated by playing smart team defense. Although he was rather slow afoot, he seemed to always be in the right place at the right time. Bird was also an incredibly alert passer, a sure-handed rebounder, and a resourceful scorer.

His competitive edge was unparalleled, as was his toughness. But Bird's biggest plus was his ability to anticipate the unfolding of every critical play a heartbeat ahead of everybody else.

No. 2 - JOHN HAVLICEK

Hondo could run for days at a time. He never showed a sign of weariness, not even when the Celtics were routinely scheduled for back-to-back playoff games — usually Saturday night in New York, and the following afternoon at home. During the latter years of the Celtics' Russellian dynasty (and continuing into the Cowens era), it was Havlicek who personified Boston's game plan: Run, run, and keep on running, until the bad guys lost their will to win — then run them off the court.

Larry Bird was an inconsistent perimeter shooter, except when a ballgame was racing toward the final buzzer. (Jon Soohoo/NBAE / Getty Images)

Always dangerous in the clutch, Havlicek was a threat to score off the dribble or off a stop-and-pop. He was lightning in a bottle without the ball, but his first step with the rock in hand was too fast to defend. An unofficial poll of his contemporaries revealed that Havlicek was the one small forward nobody wanted to guard.

His perpetual hustle was just as effective on the uphill end of the court. He was an All-NBA First Teamer from 1971-74, and voted to the All-Defensive Team from 1972-76. Nobody was quicker into the passing lanes, and nobody could get over screens more consistently than Havlicek. Throughout his 16-year Hall of Fame career, Havlicek was also the NBA's perennial leader in floor burns.

No. 3 - SCOTTIE PIPPEN

Pippen was a dynamic scorer in half-court situations and also an accomplished finisher on the run. He could play big and he could play small; there was no aspect of the game he didn't master. He was as comfortable in the triangle offense as Brer Rabbit was in the briar patch. But what sets Pippen above the rest is his ability to play suffocating defense at any of the skill positions (point guard, shooting guard, and small forward). Indeed, the only flaw in his game was a tendency to shoot impulsive 3-pointers when the shot-clock was still in the high-teens.

While Pippen was usually aloof with civilians, he was the player that the other Bulls turned to for advice and solace. (They were all much too afraid of MJ's caustic and insulting remedies for their comparatively inferior talent.) Moreover, it was Pippen who orchestrated the Bulls' stingy defense — making on-the-spot adjustments, and instructing his teammates (including MJ) when to double, when to rotate, when to sag, when to go over and when to go under screens.

On the defensive end of Chicago's six championships, Pippen was Phil Jackson's surrogate coach-on-the-court.

No. 4 - JULIUS ERVING

Not only was Erving the best finisher of all time, fans, coaches and players all held their breath when he approached the rim with a full head of steam. What would Doc do next? Eyewitnesses were seldom disappointed, because at least once a game Erving did something nobody had ever seen. An acrobatic layup in a crowd. A soaring dunk over a clutch of high-jumping big men. A swirling flip shot from another dimension of time and space.

Beyond his ability to stun and entertain, Julius Erving was a winner. (Walter Looss Jr./NBAE / Getty Images)

But beyond his ability to stun and entertain, Erving was a winner. He was a high-flying rebounder (especially on offense), a creative shot-maker and passer, as well as an inspirational and supportive teammate.

What couldn't he do?

Shoot from long range. (His 3-point accuracy in the ABA& #151; 32.2 percent — was mostly due to the lightweight ABA ball. In the NBA, he shot only 26.1 percent from downtown.) Play solid position defense. (He tried to compensate by ambushing the passing lanes.) And shoot with his left hand.

Even though Doc played 11 stellar seasons in the NBA (1976-87), his knees were worn down by carrying the entire league during his previous five-year stint in the red-white-and-blue ABA. I was fortunate enough to see him play several times with the Virginia Squires-as well as the New York Nets — and he did things back then he couldn't do once his wheels started wobbling. Like cut sharply without the ball; play energetic deny-defense in the post and on the wings; jump five times after the same rebound; dunk from a flat-footed takeoff against guys like Artis Gilmore.

But even when his knees were sore and aching, the Doctor was always IN.

thats a great list...its like there is a great small forward every 10 years (decaide)....who do you think is today's (active) best all around player?

Back
Top Bottom