graham

Site Admin
Real Name
Graham
eBay User
ozcardtrader
COMC User
ozcardtrader
I've seen a lot of discussion about fake Skybox autographics - even Beckett makes a mention to beware of fakes.

I believe this one on ebay is a fake

1996-97 Skybox Autographics Grant Hill Blue auto !!! - eBay (item 290536512526 end time Feb-26-11 18:17:02 PST)

The card is sharp (anyone who owns one of these knows they are anything but sharp) and the auto is just wrong for a G Hill from this set.

Anyone else got examples of Autographics they believe are not authentic ?

KGrHqFhsE1QLggVUHBNYHmHJDtQ_12.JPG

i had a century marks nique come up on ebay a few years ago which didn't have the stamp of authenticity on it. probably one from the fleer auctions that someone's scribbled on it to make a few extra $$$$

I did a comparison before for the fake Hills. Couple of things I've noted:
- Authentic usually has minor chipping.
- The portion where the blue fades into a white is more washed out on the authentic. On the fake, that portion almost looks like a line (can be seen in graham's pic too).
- The blue on blue graphics tend to contrast better on the authentic.
- The black portion of Grant's shoe on the bottom left corner tends to stand out more on the fake as if printed over the "autographics" font.

1ghill.jpg

Kindly check this grant hill 96 autographics card if its fake? i tried to bend the card and notice the card is slight thinner the the other 96 autographics card and no chipping on the front of the card, please advice, thanks

granthill.jpg

Kindly check this grant hill 96 autographics card if its fake? i tried to bend the card and notice the card is slight thinner the the other 96 autographics card and no chipping on the front of the card, please advice, thanks

granthill.jpg

Thats a very bad fake i hate to say!

Even with the stamp (there are reports of blanks with stamps), I would be 100% that its a fake auto above

I have a story behind the stamp theory. I was at the Intl sports card show here in Toronto years ago and ran into a person that was pretty sketch. He had 100ct boxes of Ultra Sergei Federov Autos from 92 or 93 I think. Im talking 200 + of them. All signed in black. I asked him how he got so many and the person pulled out a press stamp with a rubber / metal fleer indentation. I have no clue how he got it. But sadly enough he was stamping his own cards.

Fake definitely.
Grant Hill's auto is not right, the 'G' doesn't have a loop at the bottom, the 't' usually is never that prominent and is shorter than the height of the 'G', the 'H' is wrong.
The area between the white and blue area shows almost a distinct line, whereas the authentic one blends in.
The edges have no chipping whatsoever another sign.

Back
Top Bottom