Status
Not open for further replies.

JZA

the ginger ninja
Real Name
Jeremy
eBay User
jeremy1439
saw this on oz ebay and its very different from my mikan auto, but it has the topps gold seal on it so i dunno??? compare for yourself...

Mikanauto.jpg

54d7_1.JPG

Mikan's health fluctuated a lot during his last years and Im guessing he didn't sign the lot all at once JZA. Hence some are less legible and looking like his auto normally would.

but also check out the topps seal: its larger and further away from the corner than mine. the seller is selling a lot of other high end legit stuff so i dunno what to think...every other one ive seen looks the same as mine, ive never seen a mikan auto from that set like that before.

It is very strange that the seal is in a different place. To me, there doesn't seem to be much difference in the handwriting (apart from the size and angle)...not sure if that is strongly suggestive of a forgery, but the seal on the two cards is definately different in size and position, which shouldn't happen in a single run of cards. Could it be a parallel or a promo type card?

It is very strange that the seal is in a different place. To me, there doesn't seem to be much difference in the handwriting (apart from the size and angle)...not sure if that is strongly suggestive of a forgery, but the seal on the two cards is definately different in size and position, which shouldn't happen in a single run of cards. Could it be a parallel or a promo type card?

quite possibly...but like i said, ive seen many many mikan autos from this set and they are all alike, same as mine. that is the only variation ive seen in that set, if it is a valid variant and not fake. the auto looks very neat too, like someone took great pains to make sure it looked like a mikan auto.

chad's explanation could very well be true as well though. im tempted to email beckett and see if they know.

like Dr Curlytek said the handwriting is very similar, just size and angle thats different...If that gold stamp is 'stamped' on (and not printed) couldnt that be the reason for the misplacement? if the card went in wrong to the press it could easily be stamped in a different position, no?

like Dr Curlytek said the handwriting is very similar, just size and angle thats different...If that gold stamp is 'stamped' on (and not printed) couldnt that be the reason for the misplacement? if the card went in wrong to the press it could easily be stamped in a different position, no?

Maybe, but it is also a different SIZE. That can't happen because of a card misalignment, and such misalignment "should" be alot rarer these days with the high-tech processes for that sort of thing. I lean towards fake, as the auto being that different in size and so neat a 'replica' is also strange, IMO.

Ok i didnt notice the size, but i pulled them both into PSP and enlarged them both to the same size and the stamp on the top card is about 20% bigger..strange...maybe it is a fake...

which raises a worrying question...is it possible to fake the topps gold seal of authenticity now?

I didn't notice that and should of JZA. Thats diffinately a HUGE worry and worth of posting elsewhere and contacting Topps about to get an answer on the issue.

Thats indeed very worrying and I hate that we have to worry about such issues. That could be a first and all over a $100 US card and profit.

I can get that info for you JZA if you like. I'll get onto it tonight and email some of those in the bizz.

Is the card from the 1996 Topps stars set? If so, Beckett says that all the autos in that set were signed in black ink.

nope, every one ive seen is in blue. for mikan anyway, other players in the set have black autos. examples currently on the bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GEORGE-MIKAN-19...DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130078399117
http://cgi.ebay.com/1996-TOPPS-STAR...DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120085007299
http://cgi.ebay.com/1996-TOPPS-STAR...DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250081460151

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom