EBay Seller of the Month

SmartSelect_20221023-184818_eBay.jpg

This is always a interesting one when I see theses prices.
1. eBay takes approx 15% eBay PayPal fees.
2. If you are a casual seller not registered for eBay they will take 10% G.S.T depending on how much you sell I don’t know how that works.
So if a buyer has a card for $750 you offer $600 and the buyer knows he has to pay his fees including G.S.T he only gets around $450.
So you look at $750 and go that a rip-off but you don’t see what goes on behind the seen with pricing.
And the other thing the reason why you find it on eBay is you don’t need to deal with keyboard warriors.
This is what sends the prices up , but remember this theses prices will come down also because when they can sell it they will drop the price.
A person collecting IP signatures like the card to be in good condition but they are buying it for the signature the card is the bonus.

eBay fees are pretty simple these days. Assuming you are a regular seller, the fees are a flat ~13.4% INCLUDING GST, plus $0.30 per item. So in this case, from $750 the seller clears $647.86 plus whatever profit he makes on his $10 postage charge. Not bad for an UNSIGNED card that can be acquired as part of a full set for around $200!

eBay fees are pretty simple these days. Assuming you are a regular seller, the fees are a flat ~13.4% INCLUDING GST, plus $0.30 per item. So in this case, from $750 the seller clears $647.86 plus whatever profit he makes on his $10 postage charge. Not bad for an UNSIGNED card that can be acquired as part of a full set for around $200!
Right on Mike.
Plus buyer gets a paypal warranty

This is always a interesting one when I see theses prices.
1. eBay takes approx 15% eBay PayPal fees.
2. If you are a casual seller not registered for eBay they will take 10% G.S.T depending on how much you sell I don’t know how that works.
So if a buyer has a card for $750 you offer $600 and the buyer knows he has to pay his fees including G.S.T he only gets around $450.
So you look at $750 and go that a rip-off but you don’t see what goes on behind the seen with pricing.
And the other thing the reason why you find it on eBay is you don’t need to deal with keyboard warriors.
This is what sends the prices up , but remember this theses prices will come down also because when they can sell it they will drop the price.
A person collecting IP signatures like the card to be in good condition but they are buying it for the signature the card is the bonus.
Think it’s more that this card is probably worth $5 tops was the point .

The grading is worth more than the card which makes it insane . Someone probably found a relatives collection and thought they could make some cash 🤣
I think grading cards is silly, thats m,o.
But everyone to there own.
If Elvis had a dog, and it done a s h i t ,
Someone would buy it.
We buy cars, houses, dogs, cards etc.
If you want to spend more money getting it graded, so be it, doesnt make it worth more of a card, you just paid more money for someone to look at it, and say yeah its a good, bad, great or really great card.
I think i might buy some cards and put them away.

I think grading cards is silly, thats m,o.
But everyone to there own.
If Elvis had a dog, and it done a s h i t ,
Someone would buy it.
We buy cars, houses, dogs, cards etc.
If you want to spend more money getting it graded, so be it, doesnt make it worth more of a card, you just paid more money for someone to look at it, and say yeah its a good, bad, great or really great card.
I think i might buy some cards and put them away.
Could not agree more. Some guys have a card worth $1 tops - pay $20 to get it graded and then think it’s now worth over $100 🤦🏻‍♂️. For me personally it detracts from the card not adding value.

If I pick up a slabbed card/autograph that I want for a good price, I bust them out of their cases. I find them superfluous and they prevent me from storing the card with the rest of my collection the way I want.

I understand people getting rare items graded and slabbed, but a lot of what we are seeing now is the unwelcome entry of speculators into a hobby that has historically never really been about the size of your wallet. I really can't see any upside to the new trend of cricket commons going through hyper-inflation etc. "It's just not cricket."

League is such a small collecting community that a lot of what I am seeing happen doesn't seem sustainable. Too many rare cards, too few long-term collectors. People pouring ever-increasing volumes of money away to maintain their collections, which show very little diversity. In a small market, less is more I reckon. The chase to complete your collection is what people are striving for, and if that becomes onerous, and a life-altering expense then more and more of the long-term collectors will keep turning away. When 'lifers' decided they didn't want every card in a set it did damage, but if team-collecting 'lifers' start doing the same it will be a slippery slope. Once your sets are not complete you just don't care as much anymore. Spending the money from my collection on our home and experiences for my children has been far more enriching. If Select-sized products were still being released, I'd still be an bi-annual master set collector as well as busting my own product.

That went on a bit of a weird tangent, but I think the point is that a few of us have found ourselves dipping into what feels like investment, when all many of us really want is to be able to be hobbyists and for that to be achievable. I've moved onto a new collecting hobby that is exactly that, and I am having a blast again.

...........The chase to complete your collection is what people are striving for, and if that becomes onerous, and a life-altering expense then more and more of the long-term collectors will keep turning away. When 'lifers' decided they didn't want every card in a set it did damage, but if team-collecting 'lifers' start doing the same it will be a slippery slope. Once your sets are not complete you just don't care as much anymore..............
Well summed up and for me I'm struggling with this now. As a once master set collector who moved to team collecting. I'm now eyeing what might be next as I can't justify chasing a team master set. Not that a team master set is even possible now that we seeing 1 of 1s and it is the "completeness" that drives the addiction. As you said it's the drive, for me it's not the money it's a lack of desire. I am part of a Master Set Team share so I do get every STG card in hand which keeps me spending and interested but if that was to end..............

If I do break from Team Collecting then I think for me the next step would be STG Team IP collector and the odd Signature card if I like the player.

Ross

To be fair I can even live without adding the 1 of 1s to the collection. It is more the sheer volume of cards with so many numbered cards and then so many small release numbered cards that make it a real struggle.... Black Diamond Mojo anybody? I'm working such long hours as well now that without the good "footy" chat that used to be prevalent on here as well I find myself getting online less and less as well.

To be fair I can even live without adding the 1 of 1s to the collection. It is more the sheer volume of cards with so many numbered cards and then so many small release numbered cards that make it a real struggle.... Black Diamond Mojo anybody? I'm working such long hours as well now that without the good "footy" chat that used to be prevalent on here as well I find myself getting online less and less as well.

Extended mojos was the start of it, the 3 versions of a high end signature are just needless. And then Priority too. That is three levels of extras that is just too unappealing to collect long-term for me.

Like you low-end, IPs and appealing signatures were my go to (though Covid stuffed my IP collection too). Even still, there are cards I am meaning to get that I still haven't a couple of years later.

Honestly Ross, if the hobby is losing the interest of collectors like you then that is something that should be a concern.

Back
Top Bottom