"Got one more than Shaq!"
Real Name
Marcus
eBay User
allstar_cards_inc
From ninemsn...

David Neitz retires
by Mat Mackay, WWOS16:00 AEST Mon May 19 2008

Melbourne captain David Neitz has announced his retirement, with a recurring neck injury ending the career of one of the AFL’s most respected footballers.

The 33-year-old veteran of 305 games was clearly emotional as he broke the news… with his decision coming as a crushing blow for the Demons who are enduring one of their worst seasons in history.

"It's been an amazing time, but I am here today to announce my retirement," he said.

After carrying the injury through summer, Neitz’s season came to an immediate halt in a crunching tackle laid by Carlton’s Jarrad Waite.

He left the field immediately and while optimistic of his chances of playing again, the seriousness of the problem became clear only days later, when club officials decided to place their skipper on the Demons' long term injury list, guaranteeing their star a minimum stay on the sidelines of eight weeks.

While far from the exit he’d planned, Neitz will be remembered as one of the game’s greats... with 631 goals for Melbourne he is the Demons all-time games and goals record holder.

He is also the club's longest serving leader – captain since 2000 – and won two All-Australian jumpers, the first as a centre half-back in 1995 and the second as a full-forward in 2002, when he also won the Coleman Medal and Melbourne's best and fairest award.

Neiter is a champ...gave his heart and soul...i still remember him as a young centre half back with springs...he changed a lot over the years and adapted to a changing game...until the last coupla years that is....still a champion

Pity it had to end like this. Probably should have hung it up end of last year, but pity now he doesn't get a farewell game. A true legend of the Melbourne Football Club whom went from being a Center Half Back to being our Greatest Full Forward (at least in terms of goals kicked overall). Unfortuantely now we add 'No Leadership' to our growing list of issues! Who to Captain now? I'd tip Brad Green or James MacDonald in until Nathan Jones gets into at least his early to mid 20s!

Yup would of been the year to go out last year breaking those records despite our games won.

Great player who came under fire often but in the last few years played to what he could actually do. Don't think on field we will suffer much leadership wise as Neita never really played that role.

Green for now would be my on field choice and Macca and Bruce in the rooms if you catch my drift.

Champion club man who gave his all and thats all you can really ask for in the end. If we had a captain to take over I'm guessing he wouldn't have gone on this year at all.

Sad way to go out and hopefully we give the big guy a win to go out on in his last lap of a home crowd.

true champion of the melbourne footy club,maybe he should of hung em up last year but a guy that loves his club so much its not a easy decision!

cheers

Back
Top Bottom