Cricket question: anyone got pics of Topps 2002 match-worn cards or sigs?

bjs127

Cricket card fanatic
Real Name
Brad
eBay User
bjs127
Can anyone on here fill me in on the Topps cricket set from 2002 - i'm a bit out of touch with this release.

2 questions:

1) were there any other signature cards apart from Ricky Ponting? How many were there or each? 100? 200?

2) Does anyone have (or have seen) any Adam Gilchrist match-used cards from this set?

In fact if anyone can give me a full breakdown on all inserts and their ratios it would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Brad

Thanks for the link, have been wondering about this card for ages - but i must say, what a disappointment! To think the Ponting sig looks so good and then this.....can't deny the rarity of /35, but i expected a lot more. I agree, you would expect a sig on there too.

Am i right in saying that there are no signature cards of Gilchrist ever released?

Brad

still a nice card though, an auto would have made it 10 times better though.

was very glad i paid for mine before he retired

other cricekt collectors like Dan (mamboblue72) havent seen this card either. I'll list the insert breakdown for you. and ratios if i can

100 - Base Cards
25 - Contract Cards
18 - Record Breaker Cards
10 - Match-up cards
12 - Rising Star Cards
10 - International Graduate Cards
5 - Award Cards
Sigs - Gillespie, Hayden, Lee, Martyn, Ponting
1 - Memorabilia Card (gilly) supposedly
1 - Bradman Special tribute.

If you want the full checklist, just message me and i'll scan the checklist cards for you.

Not sure aobut ratios or any other info from the sieres. try emailing CA, Topps or Topps australia (if they exist)

I have no doubt that it is nice to have a Gilly /35 - just a shame they didn't make it nicer on the eye. And well done to get it before his retirement, that was a smart move - intentional or not!!

Thanks for the breakdown Tim - that is a lot of inserts to chase down! Going by your description i assume Topps didn't put insert ratios on the back of the packs?

Has anyone here got (or seen) a sig from this series other than the Ponting?

Brad

Thanks Tim. The sigs look great in blue pen.

Am i right in saying these signature cards are not popular due to the price? I mean you can pick up all 5 players in the 02/03 Platinum release for $20-$30 per card (Ponting might be $60-70) so i gather a lot of people don't want to pay the premium, even though they are a rarer card???

Brad

not too sure mate. its funny. most of the time i think the sellers/buyers create the prices without even thinking about it. They just think, yeh sig card.... $100. The other thing is we dont know how limited these topps ones are?

Well they always used to be super pricey - I remember the 1994/95 sigs were $150-$200when they came out. So Topps have no box release numbers or insert ratios on the boxes or packs? Seems strange.

The 2002 Topps ones certainly appear much less often than the Ikon ones or the Platinum or the 04/05 series that's for sure. It is a shame that virtually all the same player sigs were released for all of these, which means collectors can pick up the same sig for $20-30 - they also went away from doing any ex-players like Futera did with the Chappells and like Select did with the Ashes Heroes.

I am still miffed at the 08/09 series - only State player sigs and a crappy Sketch redemption!! They need to lift their game in a big way.

Brad

I worked out all the odds and amounts for this series, I know its an old post but here goes anyway - Worked it out for The Price List so am just adding it here in case you still want to know :)

I worked these all out from seeing the back of the gilly card which says it a 35 card release. Gilly GU card 1:4320packs (36 packs per box), so they are found 1:120 boxes. 120 boxes x 35 = 4200 box release!

Bradman Tribute (1:1080 packs) = 140 cards (Even happier with my Bradman card now)
5 signature cards (1:216 packs) = 140 cards of each (Sigs are probably worth the $100!)
5 awards cards (1:36packs) = 840 cards of each
10 International Graduates (1 per box) = 420 cards of each
12 Rising Stars (1:24 packs) = 525 cards of each
10 Match-Ups (1:12 packs) = 1260 cards of each
18 Record Breakers (1:6 packs) = 1400 cards of each

Worked them all out..... maybe I need to find another hobby to occupy my time :D

great work mate! i think you and Tim should compare notes, cause he has stats that suggest it was a 6000 box run! If that is the case that makes the Gilly and Bradman cards rarer and 200 sigs. According to Steve @ Cardzone only 25 GU Gilly cards are circulating, he didn't say why and didn't know how many boxes we released. Ivan @ ebays sterling downs did say there was 200 sigs though, but didn't know how many boxes there were.

thanks Mate

I was just going off the pack odds and the back of this card, if the pack odds are correct, thats how it all works out :)

There may only be 25 GU's circulating because there are 10 redemption cards still tucked away in boxes somewhere?

Gilchrist2[1].jpg

I have it from a good source that there was 4200 Boxes in the 2002 Set and yes there are only roughly 25 Of those Gillys around as 10 didnt get redeemed, I have access to that and unredeemed Gilly cards if anyone is keen, however warning- Its not cheap :lol:

Thats not my GU Dan - I Wish! Though like brad said, it isn't the greatest looking card, it is just super rare and a one of a kind for australian cricket releases. A sig would have really topped it off though.

If that card was put directly into packs then a lot would have been filed away with other commons - lucky it was a redemption.

Certainly a one-off, and even though it is one of the ugliest cricket cards i've ever seen........i wish i had one!

I am still amazed that there has never been a Gilly signature card. How did he slip through his career without one???

I agree Brad - I have no idea how he slipped through, he has one of the best looking sigs as well. A shame really! Though maybe select will release a bowled warney caught gilchrist sig redemption series

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom