brentus777

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
brent
eBay User
brentus777
COMC User
Brentus777
So espn here in the states is reporting that the difference between the league and players asking rights is close to 800million a season! Judging by that they are predicting the whole 11/12 season will be locked out!

Few other things they note... David stern earns more than ANY player in the NBA with a salary of close to 50million a year... Lol

Also luol Deng has been cleared to represent Great Brittan in the upcoming nationals, also ben gordon will be turning out for GB as well!

@TheNBPA
NBPA
NBA: Players union chief: NBA season likely to be wiped out - baltimoresun.com

HoopsHype.com NBA Blogs - Mark Heisler » It’s still not time to panic

I also read this morning that Stern's salary was $20m last year but then just seen on twitter:

Chris Broussard: Ownership source tells me D Stern annual salary is about $9 million. Same source said MLB's Bud Selig makes 17 mil, and NFL's Goodell 13 mil. Twitter

Remember David Stern, like Demetriou in the AFL, is responsible for the brand 'NBA'. Obviously the NBA is worth billions more than any player/team/stadium etc on its own right. Therefore his responsibility is far greater than any player.

I don't know why people rate the players influence so greatly in these sporting arenas, players come and go - very few have any significant impression (5% perhaps).

I work for a company (brand) I certainly wouldn't expect to get anything like that of the CEO, even though I do play my part in creating the 'product' which the consumer pays for.

Players are just workers, the NBA was there before them, the NBA gave them a job and the NBA will be there when they retire.

Remember David Stern, like Demetriou in the AFL, is responsible for the brand 'NBA'. Obviously the NBA is worth billions more than any player/team/stadium etc on its own right. Therefore his responsibility is far greater than any player.

I don't know why people rate the players influence so greatly in these sporting arenas, players come and go - very few have any significant impression (5% perhaps).

I work for a company (brand) I certainly wouldn't expect to get anything like that of the CEO, even though I do play my part in creating the 'product' which the consumer pays for.

Players are just workers, the NBA was there before them, the NBA gave them a job and the NBA will be there when they retire.

Yes, players may come and go, but without the players the "NBA" would be nothing. Simple as that.

Also FYI...... It's been reported that Stern also won't be getting paid whilst the lockout is on.

Yes, players may come and go, but without the players the "NBA" would be nothing. Simple as that.

Also FYI...... It's been reported that Stern also won't be getting paid whilst the lockout is on.

I don't think it would be difficult to find players willing to play for a couple of million dollars. All the NBL could slot straight in :)

noone would watch the nba if the league was filled with crap nbl players no offence.

---------- Post added 05-08-2011 at 11:04 AM ----------

you can say the nba/clubs makes the league or the players make the league (depending on whether you support the labour force or big corporations) but without the other, the other would not be relevant. they should split revenue 50/50 as they need each other more than they are willing to admit.

I think the players need to stop being greedy losers and take a small cut, considering the rest of us get sweet FA for our jobs, id play bball for $500 a week if i could. and the owners need to stop making pathetic decisions eg. joe johnson (how is he gettin more than kobe i wouldnt pay him half that) which ends up with them losing money in the 1st place. a new system is definatly needed otherwise we always goin to get lockouts every 5 or 10 yrs, coz of cry baby rich people.

I think the players need to stop being greedy losers and take a small cut, considering the rest of us get sweet FA for our jobs, id play bball for $500 a week if i could. and the owners need to stop making pathetic decisions eg. joe johnson (how is he gettin more than kobe i wouldnt pay him half that) which ends up with them losing money in the 1st place. a new system is definatly needed otherwise we always goin to get lockouts every 5 or 10 yrs, coz of cry baby rich people.

Greedy Losers?? If you had said the Owners instead of the players, then you might have had a opinion with substance. The Owners DO NOT LOSE money... If I can be bothered I'll find all the articles about all the tax concessions and the way they can make it look like they have lost money when in fact they have either come out even or made money... If your a billionaire or even multi millionaire in the States it is so easy to avoid losses and such by messing with the numbers.

Yes players are paid stupid amounts of money but the (well most) big name, so the highest paid players, generate far more for the owners and NBA then they make. Why can't people see this??!?? I know not everyone has a good business sense and so on but common sense tells us the NBA and its franchisees are massive money makers in so many ways!

the stands would be empty if the nba was filled with players like yourself seriously.

Stern has been through all this before. I would hate to be negotiating with him. It's all okay to not get paid for Kobe, LBJ etc but for the majority of players no one can survive on no pay cheque. Pro athletes are not know for their financial prowess. Once a few players start having cars and houses repossessed I think they will be the first to crack.

Back
Top Bottom