Aust vs Spain in mens hockey review.

chadjaja

On the way back!
Real Name
John Holmes
We got back from todays game a while ago. Game two of the series against the number four team in the world. Australia being ranked number one of course.

As some may know my other half plays hockey and I don't consider it much of a sport spectator wise. I watch occasionally but only to support her and her runs down the wing only to cross it and a teamate not get a stick on the pass.

WOW! Mens hockey at top level is like a different sport. I likened it to the WNBL to the mens NBL. :wink:

These guys have unbelievable skills as well as power :shock:

The game was a bit static to start with but that seemed to be because the skill of both teams seemed to neutralise each other a bit. The Aussies looked real bulked up compared to the Spaniards too.

The touch and stick skills are beyond anything I've ever seen. That and they hit target after target with passes and trap the ball with ease. What I thought were trick shots seemed the norm. Backhand shots, flicking it over players and fakes/borks.

Although Australia seemed in control and the Spanish had costly turnovers Australia was lucky the scoreline wasn't more - with some saves Ricky Ponting would have seen sail past. The goalie has lightning reflexes :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Brooks was great too. Really physical. I love a bit of biff :box:

And Craig VICTORY! What a great name for a sportsperson!

In the end that was the difference with Australia winning 3-0. :easy:

I must say I'm looking forward more to the mens hockey at the Commonwealth games we have tickets for.

Lastly these guys don't stop running and the play rarely stops. The transfer of the ball from one end to another is pretty amazing. The Spanish had the edge in the speed though.

Here's some pics from the day that I'd thought I'd share. I'm more a fan after today. My first taste of top level action in the flesh.

DSC00114.jpg

DSC00116.jpg

DSC00118.jpg

Nice report Chad :D 3-0! Go Australia!

Glad the guys finally got that gold medal. The Aussie men's team used to dominate all the time, but found it hard come olympic games time - until recently of course. The young guys are real good. :D

I never played in a real team, but have watched a lot of games in my junior years and it has been around me. My old man was a keen hockey player - he'll tell bout playing against Rick Charlesworth given the chance. lol. His bro did play for WA sometime(I am told) and my old high school PE teacher(Terry Leece) played for Australia. Just some useless info on this topic for ya :D

They are awesome athletes too I might add.

Nice reply. Thats pretty cool. I had the pleasure of meeting Charlesworth a few years ago before he went to coach the lesbians in the Netherlands. Although he is pretty full of himself he had some good points that carried over to basketball. Had a good day listening to him and his suggestions on how to play, team chemistry and the mental side of things. Made a good living on the public speaking thing too. I don't think though he can coach any sport like he claims to.

Had a good day listening to him and his suggestions on how to play, team chemistry and the mental side of things. Made a good living on the public speaking thing too. I don't think though he can coach any sport like he claims to.

Have to agree he's a great public speaker and motivationalist(is that a word) lol.

Another reason why he was perfect for the DORKERS! TALK, TALK, TALK, TALK :D

:p

Thanks for the update Chad... I played hockey for years through school and beyond... making it to a lower state league.... Fun to play and some people just stand out with their skills (like me ;) )...

I was there at the Sydney Olympics to see our guys win Bronze.... Great match won 6-3 or something.... :D

I gots skills too ;)
"excellent stick-work"
"can't believe you haven't played before"
and "please join the school team"
are some of the echoes I hear coming from Mr.Leece(Australian Olympian Hockey player)

LOL :p

Back
Top Bottom