Aussie NFL punters' success

Allstar cards inc

"Got one more than Shaq!"
Real Name
Marcus
eBay User
allstar_cards_inc
This story was in today's Herald-Sun...

STAR punting exports Mat McBriar and Ben Graham will compete in this month's NFL playoffs in the most successful season for Australians in league history.

It's the first time two Australians have reached the playoffs, and the national coach said it would trigger a flurry of Aussies trying to break into the NFL.
While McBriar and his Dallas Cowboys secured their playoff berth two weeks ago, former Geelong star Graham's New York Jets sealed their spot yesterday with a convincing 23-3 win against the Oakland Raiders.

Both sides face tough assignments in Monday's sudden-death wildcard playoff matches.

New York takes on Superbowl contender New England, while Dallas will be the underdog against Seattle.

McBriar leads the NFL in punting this season with an average of 48.2 yards a kick.

Last week he became the second Australian after former San Diego punter Darren Bennett to be selected for the end-of-season NFL Pro Bowl game.

Former Geelong captain Graham is also enjoying a good season, averaging 44.2 yards a kick and helping the Jets to a surprise playoff berth in what many expected to be a rebuilding season for the team.

And the coach of the Australian national side, Paul Manera, said the best was yet to come.

"This is something that is going to grow, and I have no doubt you are going to see a lot more Australian punters in the NFL," said Manera who, like McBriar, played college football at the University of Hawaii.

"This is just going to generate a lot more interest in the game.

"As Australian coach, I'm getting more and more players from the AFL contacting me seeing if we can get them opportunities overseas.

"The NFL is starting to see that Australia has athletes that can play at their level . . . and there is absolutely no reason why the NFL couldn't have all 32 punters from Australia."

Manera said McBriar and Graham were successfully following the path paved by former West Coast Eagle and Melbourne player Bennett, who had a successful 11-year NFL career.

"Since Bennett did what he did, more players are following in his footsteps," Manera said.

"Having these guys performing is encouraging kids to play and encouraging people to look at the sport."

Bennett reached the playoffs twice, with San Diego in 1995 and with Minnesota in 2004.

Graham, 33, who joined the Jets in 2005, and McBriar, 27, who joined the Cowboys in 2004, are the fourth and fifth Australians to play in the NFL. - AAP

This story was in today's Herald-Sun...

Its great news for the future of the sport in this country. As much as I can't stand Willie Mason, it will be great if he does get a run with a team. It should create more interest in the sport here, and thats a good thing. It might get Foxtel or another provider to get off their arse and provide us with a decent NFL broadcast (im talking HD here, not this worse than SD in 4:3 format crap).
</rant>

Cheers
Rick

ha I am loving the NFL coverage I don't car eif its SD or HD its at least one every week and I get to watch the 'Boys most weeks or not :D

I am so proud an Aussie plays for my team. By the by the 'Boys will beat Seattle - we have their measure :D

Its great to see any Aussies compete let alone kick-ass at sports that are not our national sports... Bogut is the reason why I got into Basketball and I now like to follow a bit fo NFL... Go Aussies!!!:D

Is anybody out there collecting Graham and McBriar cards?

Heaps collect Bogut and I know a few who collect Aussie baseballers but how about our Oz Gridiron players.

Graham has 6 2006 Topps cards and McBriar has 2 2003 UD cards.

You could become a supercollector with just a few purchases on eBay.

WOW - that is FANTASTIC - thanks for the news All Star

The funny thing is that my wife bought me a NFL Team jacket years ago knowing I was a West Coast Eagles supporter she went for the Philadelphia Eagles jacket (lol) It's Black Green & white and looks great....don't wear it much but now Sav plays for them I might have an excuse to talk about them :D

Back
Top Bottom