August 6, 2023 - North Melbourne

Shane Penrose

OzCardTrader
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
Real Name
Shane Penrose
After the June fair was such a success we've added another one to the calendar. Tables already sold out, best range of sellers at any fair. Equal numbers of AFL, NBA and non sport traders. Bargain deals, and ultra high end cards.
CARD FAIR FLYER - A4 - Aug 06-01 (002).jpg

Can also vouch for it. Had a great time last year.

Wasn't expecting much (only ever been to the one in Oakleigh which was ridiculously shit), but heaps of tables with quality stuff and reasonable prices.

Only feedback Id have is to further stagger the amount of people in at once as it was pretty packed and difficult to spend time looking at any one place

Another good show.

Thought the stall pricing was a bit more inflated than previous ones though.

Also slightly disappointing that the back bar area was blocked off this time, as that was the unofficial trade congregation area for people just attending looking to trade with anyone, wasn’t really an area for it this time.

Agreed. An ATM machine wouldnt go astray if that many tables are going to be strictly cash only.

Coffee van would do a roaring trade in this weather. Although the mental image of someone dropping their flat white over a deck of cards makes me wince.

Agreed. An ATM machine wouldnt go astray if that many tables are going to be strictly cash only.

Coffee van would do a roaring trade in this weather. Although the mental image of someone dropping their flat white over a deck of cards makes me wince.

It's a toss up for the organizers getting something central for everyone so you get people from all sides of the city, big enough, but also not to big that it kills the vibe.

Based on the last two attendances, it's probably 20% too small.

As I said, arguably the best area for the show would be a designated trade area for attendee's. At $20 a ticket for early bird, I think it's a reasonable expectation to have some trestle tables and seats as a trade area for anyone wanting to meet randomly. That back bar area naturally formed into that area last time, but was blocked off this time.

As for the stalls, ALOT of pricing in display cases at double or more than double comps this time around.

All in all, I like it a lot and wish it was even a bit more regular (i.e once a month).

There's definitely the market for it.

Some horror stories regarding a particular family from the previous show who went on a thieving spree apparently.

Last edited:
Shit - hopefully not too much damage to anyone's bottom line. I did notice a few suss sorts wandering around with backpacks and wondering what was going on.

Agreed re discrepancies in pricing. Had similar experience at a few places, couple of the more well known places that were just making up prices based on what it sold for on Ebay lately rather than what was advertised.

Shit - hopefully not too much damage to anyone's bottom line. I did notice a few suss sorts wandering around with backpacks and wondering what was going on.

Agreed re discrepancies in pricing. Had similar experience at a few places, couple of the more well known places that were just making up prices based on what it sold for on Ebay lately rather than what was advertised.

No, this occurred at the June show I think.

Family of Dad, Mum and young son apparently swiped a few dozen cards out of boxes included a Nick Daicos auto out of the guys with the back stall.

Dad tried to make a run for it at the end when confronted.

I think the Daicos was recovered.

**Unsure of when this occurred in June, as I had left by around 11:30am. Was just told by a few stall holders.

In terms of pricing, I came armed with about $5-$10k in high end cards willing to trade at fair recent comps, but of the 4-5 cards I was interested in, everything was 2-3x comps. It wasn't even 20-30% higher (you can generally work with that and negotiate), it was multiples. They obviously bank on someone eventually paying close to this every now and then.

As for the ATM's, there's an easy solution which wont cost a shitload in hire fee's each time (which means higher ticket prices) - I get most people want to deal in cash, but it's really no different to facebook sales. You can get setup for card payments with a square card reader for under $100 these days from officeworks.

Organizers should really make it a requirement for stall holders, like most local markets do for stall holders.. You need a cashless card reader to have a stall.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom