A league signatures

Havanos

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Nathan
Call me naive but i cant understand why the redemption cards and other inserts i this release are so expensive. Don't mean any offence and good on people who are getting the money for them but they aren't exactly world class players but cost more than sigs that are. Not trying to cause any arguments just interested mainly!

Prices are (imo at least), determined by rarity in the product. There are a lot of people collecting A-League TNP, and most would want a signature from there team, considering the quality of this release.

With a signature being 1 in 78, that translates to 3 boxes, so roughly $300. These box prices are unlikely to change or be discounted, so that value will remain consistent throughout its lifespan.

So if you take the odds at hand, $300 will net you a signature card, but if you're chasing your team, there's only a 1/12 chance of it being yours. Now you can add in the price of selling the other inserts you recieve in the box to that total, but say yu can get $80 back from the 3 boxes on non signature inserts, you've still paid $220 for a random signature.

Now this is where sig value is brought in, I'll use my own valuation of price here, but if someone packs one you could theoretically choose which signature you want, ranging from the less popular teams ($150) or the more popular teams/players ($200). You remove luck out of the equation, take the gamble out of it and most of the time come out ahead of what you would have paid busting boxes.

So player quality doesn't really have anything to do with the value of the card (it will effect it slightly), but just because I can pick up a Mesut Ozil signature card for $70, doesn't mean I'm able to pick up a FBK redemption for $60, because its apples and oranges.

Sorry for the long post :p

I think you will find like everything, prices will come down over time.

Its only a new release and we have seen it before with NRL.....signature cards selling for big money then coming down a bit in price.

If you can wait, you will get one cheaper down the track.

Agree with @Juzzomac & @Matt26

The other factor that comes into play is the redemption number itself, I.e x/200. If you get a redemption card early the better the chances of a lower number, and people see increased value in the lower numbers.
Some people even make it a personal goal to collect a complete set of signature cards with the same number, I.e 7/200.

In terms of the other inserts in the set, in my view the prices are comparable with what is being sought for the latest TnP cricket release, and scarcity of the inserts comes into pllay. But also think it from the resellers perspective - they have had a rather large cash outlay upfront to buy cases for the release and when they bust boxes the majority of the cards are base cards so of little value. So they need to recover their costs and have an appropriate margin/profit.

Without resellers, and other collectors trading, it would be near on impossible to assemble a complete set of inserts for a specific team (I.e silvers, golds, Rising Stars, signatures, etc) just by an individual buying packs/boxes unless they had very deep pockets.

But like Matt says prices will come down over time, but of course will the specific cards a collector wants still be available at that stage given the limited numbers. In some cases the cards become even more expensive because of that.

Its just the free market economy & card collecting at work. But unfortunately it's not like other products, e.g where if you wait 6 months you can pick up the latest chart topping CD or DVD in the discount range at JB HiFi with some surety.

Back
Top Bottom