2016 Series II/Honours 3 Rumours and Ideas

ElijahCraigHyde

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Jarrah
Wondering if anyone has heard any rumors about Select card series 2 release this year. Would not be surprised if the Brownlow segment continues to correspond for the third year in a row but making it just ONE more year prior to a whole new theme commencing as of mid 2017.

Nonetheless, should the Brownlow segment be over red rover, I am just preying there will be no more restricted heritage theme unless such theme can accumulate expansion clubs Gold Coast and GWS, or otherwise I WILL NOT BE TOUCHING IT!!! Wondering if there's anyone else with me there?

I highly doubt there will be a third Honours Series on Brownlow medalists: they've finished the Gallery, Sketch and Distinction sets and I'm not sure what else could be done that hasn't already.

They could do an Honours Series on a different award (e.g. Coleman) but I reckon they'll go back to something more inclusive of teams such as Port Adelaide, GWS, Gold Coast, Fremantle, etc.

Thanks Scotty, you're probably right there. I hope though, that the BP redemption will make a repeat in 2017 Series 1 nonetheless if you're with me!

A Coleman segment could be a goer if they make a series known as GOAL KICKERS and make some upper hit inset dedicated to all 18 clubs' players' lead goal kicking careers, whether they have necessarily won a Coleman medal or not!

Thanks Scotty, you're probably right there. I hope though, that the BP redemption will make a repeat in 2017 Series 1 nonetheless if you're with me!
Yep - the Brownlow Predictor series should definitely stay, albeit with a few tweaks (i.e. Less players in the set, lower number of cards per player, rarer than 1 per box etc.).
A Coleman segment could be a goer if they make a series known as GOAL KICKERS and make some upper hit inset dedicated to all 18 clubs' players' lead goal kicking careers, whether they have necessarily won a Coleman medal or not!
Something like that could work - my gut feel though is that they'll go back to a theme-less series this year.

The latest from Select is that they are going to do something inclusive of the expansion teams.

The nuts and bolts aren't yet known but something like a 50-card signature series of all those young draftees that were whisked away to tiny crowds, bad coffee and almost complete anonymity only to come home in the faint hope of playing to people who actually know what they're looking at, perhaps on a Friday night even.

"Mum, I'm home! 1" is the series working title ;)

For my perfect Select series 2 release...

1. Select should bring DPSs back. They should do one of everybody drafted in the first two rounds of the draft, and the usual 1 per box.
I'm thinking #/150 to bring some rarity to the set, plus parallels #/75, #/50 & #/25.

2. Select should acquire a few jerseys and do two jersey cards a team, falling one-per box.
The normal one coloured versions are #/200 or something along those lines, and the multi coloured versions/prime patches are #/50 or something. The prime versions will bring excitement back to box busting.

3. I think a couple of good inserts that Select can do are:
* An insert spread across 2 releases with the 30 #1 AFL draft picks in history, numbered #/50 and spread across one every 8 boxes or something like that.
* An acetate jersey numbers insert, with the jersey number in acetate in club colours, and 2 players who wore that jersey number for that club (past & present) depicted on the card (I.e. Royce Hart & Dustin Martin).
Put this around #/300 and one in every box.

4. How about something like this (NBA Shadowbox signatures) to fall one-per case?
http://www.pinoyboxbreak.com/2015/0...on-basketball-checklist-shadowbox-signatures/
Im thinking 36 of these, two per team, #/60 with parallels to #/25, falling less than one per case.

5. I know I'm stretching this, but how about for an insert to bring true excitement back to box busting, something like an NBA Logoman with the AFL patch off jerseys?

In the NBA they do normally #/2, #/3 or #/5 for each non auto variation, and 1/1 auto logomen. Maybe we could have #/2 logo patch cards?

Feel free to give me your thoughts and feedback!

For my perfect Select series 2 release...

1. Select should bring DPSs back. They should do one of everybody drafted in the first two rounds of the draft, and the usual 1 per box.
I'm thinking #/150 to bring some rarity to the set, plus parallels #/75, #/50 & #/25.

2. Select should acquire a few jerseys and do two jersey cards a team, falling one-per box.
The normal one coloured versions are #/200 or something along those lines, and the multi coloured versions/prime patches are #/50 or something. The prime versions will bring excitement back to box busting.

3. I think a couple of good inserts that Select can do are:
* An insert spread across 2 releases with the 30 #1 AFL draft picks in history, numbered #/50 and spread across one every 8 boxes or something like that.
* An acetate jersey numbers insert, with the jersey number in acetate in club colours, and 2 players who wore that jersey number for that club (past & present) depicted on the card (I.e. Royce Hart & Dustin Martin).
Put this around #/300 and one in every box.

4. How about something like this (NBA Shadowbox signatures) to fall one-per case?
http://www.pinoyboxbreak.com/2015/0...on-basketball-checklist-shadowbox-signatures/
Im thinking 36 of these, two per team, #/60 with parallels to #/25, falling less than one per case.

5. I know I'm stretching this, but how about for an insert to bring true excitement back to box busting, something like an NBA Logoman with the AFL patch off jerseys?

In the NBA they do normally #/2, #/3 or #/5 for each non auto variation, and 1/1 auto logomen. Maybe we could have #/2 logo patch cards?

Feel free to give me your thoughts and feedback!

Love the ideas mate, but if Select introduced even a couple of these ideas price would go up to around $10 a pack, or $360 a box. In saying that, and I've said this many times before, I'd be extremely happy to pay a premium price, like $360, if we got some decent limited cards including Guernsey cards. It's pretty sad when we got Guernsey cards in 2003/04 and nothing since when most collectors have pretty much been begging for them. Select really need to step up their game this year.

the 2 biggest things I want to see are:
  • dual/triple/quad signatures - how about like the Captain Signature cards, but with Captain and Coach or Captain and Vice or even something like competing players i.e. ruckman, forwards vs backs etc..
  • Guernsey and guernsey signature cards

@BLOWN8 assuming that only adults and true collectors would buy these,
you wouldn't even need to do many packs. I'd pay up to $20 a pack of a release with less packs, Becuase less packs mean less production and less production means less pack searching, and less pack searching means more cards in the hands of true collectors and so on.
Much better than the current crap Select puts out by far.

As an example, Select could do 12 packs a box at $18 a pack and $200 a box.

Only $30 a box more than usual and the chance to hit much better cards with much less searching.

Awesome ideas and any of these ideas would make my year. Select won't do any of them but can't hurt to dream.

I would love letterman sigs. Or even coach captain cards.
Letterman Sigs would be amazing :hearts:

I'd be concerned as to what they'd be numbered to though...

The 2015 NT Friends & Foes cards are a good look, and would be easy to do with all the kids playing in TAC teams together before being drafted to opposing AFL clubs.

I'd settle for the hallmark of any good series (think, 1996 & 2005)....rare, very rare, and bloody-hell-how-long-is-it-gonna-take-to-get-a-hold-of-that-one.

Guernseys card are...and this is strictly my own view...completely naff. It's no better than getting a bit of what might have been part of the Berlin wall but in all likelihood something lifted off a building site in Preston. Whose jumper? What game? I mean, really!? Yay, it's Collingwood and....oh, bugger me...it's the Emirates logo. Or worse, the AFL logo.

Are we not due for a hall of fame update?

And if we start taking cues from the NBA, like the rules committee, I think I'll vomit

Back
Top Bottom