2014 Select Series 2

But you have been going on about a monopoly being a bad thing. Make up your mind. So a monopoly is OK if they listen to the collectors and put number 1 sigs in the packs.

Ok no its not a good thing. But nothing is changing anytime soon, so as far as the way the NRL go about it vs the way select does. NRL are winning hands down.
No you cant compare one to the other, makes selects offering look horrid.

One listens, one doesnt
One is trying to release a set that collectors want, one is making money and padding out the series.
long list of things

Sorry for the newb question, but let me get this right, Select don't put the #1 signed card in any packs for people to pull?

If that's the case that's extremely poor form. Who gets it then, is someone at Select building a separate nest egg for themselves with it? I find that to be bordering on unethical. It's that sort of $hit, plus the price manipulation/games with stock availability etc by the wholesaler, that the AFL needs to know about (assuming they even care, most likely not) when the licence comes up for renewal.

Perhaps I can contact the AFL's Integrity Department - lol

Last edited:
Sorry for the newb question, but let me get this right, Select don't put the #1 signed card in any packs for people to pull?

If that's the case that's extremely poor form. Who gets it then, is someone at Select building a separate nest egg for themselves with it? I find that to be bordering on unethical. It's that sort of $hit, plus the price manipulation/games with stock availability etc by the wholesaler, that the AFL needs to know about (assuming they even care, most likely not) when the licence comes up for renewal.

I was wondering the same thing Slash and was thinking of creating a thread about this topic. How can Select be allowed to hold onto #1 sig cards - the most sought after card amongst low numbered collectors.

You think people on Ozcardtrader have an amazing card collection or PC for their favourite player, think again because Select arguably holds the best card library in Australia and the way that has been attained can definitely be deemed unfair and dishonest by holding certain cards back from release.

yep. select do hold onto the #1 card. it never gets released. always have and always will. i agree it's poor form. why not just make a card #select/400 or ###/400 etc.

Why not send Select an email, I have in the past and found them quite responsive :)

What i dont understand is what is the difference between that and a lotto company keeping the winning ticket? It is clearly the most valuable card in collection prior to release!! And they advertise that there are say #400 signatures availiable yet that is incorrect as it is impossible to have #1 so it is technically 399 is it not?

I would be very surprised if someone did contact the integrity department that it wouldnt at least be investiated. Hell its in their best interest to release low numbered cards out of say #20 of Ablett as then they would automatically have a 1/20 Ablett signature that would be worth its weight in gold in future. Easy $1000+ profit on just the one card and they dont even have to sell the product yet.

I would be very surprised if someone did contact the integrity department that it wouldnt at least be investiated. Hell its in their best interest to release low numbered cards out of say #20 of Ablett as then they would automatically have a 1/20 Ablett signature that would be worth its weight in gold in future. Easy $1000+ profit on just the one card and they dont even have to sell the product yet.

Just to pick up on your point of value there - ESP in the NRL did not include the #1 in one of their first releases and listened to collectors about having them in for future releases.
The ones they had kept though they auctioned off (in partnership with OzCardTrader) and raised over $10,000 for charity.
Was a great way for them to give back.

Just to pick up on your point of value there - ESP in the NRL did not include the #1 in one of their first releases and listened to collectors about having them in for future releases.
The ones they had kept though they auctioned off (in partnership with OzCardTrader) and raised over $10,000 for charity.
Was a great way for them to give back.
Wow, Select read that ^

Just curious, may have missed this earlier in the thread. Why is it called Honours 1? Can we expect there to be an Honours 2 released later? May include some Medal Winner Sigs and Premiership Redemption and heaven forbid, something new...

Be good if they did pay tribute to multiple Coleman and Norm Smith medal winners in the second series.

Multiple Coleman winners, Franklin, Reiwoldt, Fevola, Gehrig, Lloyd, Lockett, Ablett, Dunstall. stopped at 1987

Multiple Norm Smith winners, Mcleod, Ayres.

That lot should keep 90% of people happy.

Imagine Dunstal, Ablett Snr and Lockett Signatures.

You could also have Rising Star winners that have gone on with it(criteria- become captain, premiership, coleman, brownlow, coach).....Buckley, Cousins, Goodes, Mitchell, Nick Reiwoldt, Pickett, Pearce, Selwood, Hannaberry.

yep. select do hold onto the #1 card. it never gets released. always have and always will. i agree it's poor form. why not just make a card #select/400 or ###/400 etc.
Some of the no1 cards have been released. I believe there was a Collinwood no.1 in the AFL and 2x Darren lockyer no.1 in the NRL that have been released. In my opinion as history is showing already holding back the no.1 cards hold the value in the redemptions and signature cards. ESP has released the no.1 in some of there series and sold quite cheap there fore bringing the value of the rest of them down. As some of the number 1 are being resold by these sellers they are not getting anywhere near what the value of them should be for a number 1 card. The only positive thing that came from selling the number 1 cards that the money went to charity.

I have got a number 2 dps before, never realised it was the lowest you can get. so many things are making me sad about the select this year.

Some of the no1 cards have been released. I believe there was a Collinwood no.1 in the AFL and 2x Darren lockyer no.1 in the NRL that have been released. In my opinion as history is showing already holding back the no.1 cards hold the value in the redemptions and signature cards. ESP has released the no.1 in some of there series and sold quite cheap there fore bringing the value of the rest of them down. As some of the number 1 are being resold by these sellers they are not getting anywhere near what the value of them should be for a number 1 card. The only positive thing that came from selling the number 1 cards that the money went to charity.

Yeah there was a Darren Jolly from 2011 Champions Signature #1 that was on eBay, I though it sold for close to 2k but my memory must be wrong because I saw someone say close to 1k. I remember ppl saying that Select had bought it back because it was released by mistake, don't know if that is true or not though... The only other #1 card I can think of Select/AFL-wise is the case card Dustin Fletcher had (he signed all of them 1/50 by mistake apparently).

Yeah there was a Darren Jolly from 2011 Champions Signature #1 that was on eBay, I though it sold for close to 2k but my memory must be wrong because I saw someone say close to 1k. I remember ppl saying that Select had bought it back because it was released by mistake, don't know if that is true or not though... The only other #1 card I can think of Select/AFL-wise is the case card Dustin Fletcher had (he signed all of them 1/50 by mistake apparently).
I heard it sold for around $1100 mark did not know it was a mistake. I know all the other number 1 cards do get signed

Back
Top Bottom