Back to Belmore
Real Name
Murray
eBay User
muzz456
COMC User
muzz456
Last edited:
I am pretty happy with how the Raiders draft went and think an 'A' is about right. Having the first 4 picks all contribute as regular starters and do very well is huge for the Franchise. Mack was a close runner for DROY and was pretty downright dominating most of the season; Carr played well as a rookie QB with no real weapons (James Jones would be a #3 QB on most teams, and yet he was our #1 and the running game was terrible) and hopefully will be a franchise QB; Jackson was an instant starter at LG and looks to be for the next 10+ years; and Justin Ellis took over the starting job in week as the NT and did a great job earning himself All-Rookie team honors. Plus 7th round CB Carrie played for most the season (even starting 4 games) and looks like he could be a quality starting CB; and Keith McGill the 4th round CB contributed some nice plays and hopefully will develop into a decent CB also.

I'm hoping McKenzie can have another draft this year as good and the team will be well on their way to becoming relevant again!

How would DeMarco or D.Thomas (or both) look in Black & Silver?

I could see DeMarco making a very good tandem with Latavius, but they are probably too similar players. I think Mark Ingram could complement Latavius Murray a lot better. Plus he would probably come a lot cheaper too (not that the Raiders need to scrimp on the salaries!). As for D. Thomas, I don't think he will hit FA. I imagine if Broncos cannot get a deal re-worked he will get the Franchise Tag.

Julius Thomas is another story. His dad has been a season ticket holder for the Raiders for a long, long time (since Julius was a youngster or maybe even before) and has made some pretty harsh comments about the Broncos recently:
http://bsndenver.com/julius-thomas-dad-says-broncos-fans-are-losers-and-black-opportunities-matter/
With my personal favourite line being: "It’ll be totally classic to see him come back to Denver in Silver & Black and rip the Broncos and their loser fans a new one." This doesn't mean Raiders are interested however, and while Thomas would probably be an upgrade over Rivera, I do wonder if he is more a product of Manning. Plus his blocking is not the best either so he has a very similar skill set to Rivera.

Personally, I'm hoping for Suh. I think he is one of those players you love if he is on your team, but hate the guy when he is not (a lot like Bill Romanoski was for me). Raiders are projected to have over $50 mil in cap space, and that could be bumped up to over $60 mil with 3 likely players to be cut MJD, Schaub and Woodley). So the team could give him a nice front loaded contract that tapers off in a couple years in time for when Carr and Mack will need new contracts. Plus not only do the Raiders have the cap money to spend, they actually HAVE to spend the money too:
http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/02/17/nfl-payroll-spending
I would love to see a pass rusher signed too like Justin Houston (would love this but doubt he makes it to FA), Pierre-Paul, Jerry Hughes or Brandon Graham. Also if the Packers let Cobb go to FA I would not be surprised at all to see him being signed with the McKenzie connection.

The question for me is, what is their o line like?

Not very good even though Carr was only sacked 28 times (6th in the NFL) and had the fourth fewest QB hits. It was more because of Carr having a very quick release and this also led to a lot of the small yardage pass plays (along with bad play calling!). Penn was very good at LT and probably has 2-3 more years in him and Gabe Jackson looks the deal at LG but the right side needs a lot of work. Plus Wisniewski is a FA and all signs are currently pointing to him not returning.

Back
Top Bottom