2011/12 Australian Summer Of Cricket (*SPOILERS*)

Hughes should go back and learn his craft in Sheffield Shield, or even Club cricket. Hayden did it. Hughes might bounce back. But dear oh dear. Horrible in the 2nd dig. Just horrible. Got a chance then did the exact same thing. Howls of laughter where we were.

He's not gonna learn anything from first-class cricket. He'll just go back down and tear them to shreds. He needs to stay in the team and work on the one ball outside off that he always goes out to.

My team would be:

Hughes
Warner
Clarke
Ponting
Hussey
Cristian
Haddin
Siddle
Lyon
Patternson

Starc to be left out because he did not bowl in wicket taking areas and he didn't take his chance.

Great game at the Gabba!

My best Australian XI with no injuries:

Warner
Marsh
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Watson
Haddin
Pattinson
Cummins
Siddle
Lyon

Unfortunately Harris, the best experienced bowler in Australia has to miss out because he simply can't play a game without injuring himself.
Johnson has to go back to the drawing board and try to figure out how to be as good a bowler all over the world as he is at the WACCA.
Hughes needs to take a month off professional cricket and have a batting camp off with Justin Langer.
Watson needs to go into the middle order so he has a bigger break in between innings

With a Non Injured side.

Watson
Marsh
Khawaja
Ponting
Clarke
M.Hussey
Haddin
Johnson or Siddle
Pattinson
Cummins
Lyon

Sadly no Starc because he needs to bowl more consistently and bowl more full instead of short. But He Will Be Back!

But for the 2nd Test

Hughes
Warner
Khawaja
Ponting
Clarke
M.Hussey
Haddin
Siddle
Starc
Pattinson
Lyon

(But If Dan Christian plays then Siddle bats 9th, Haddin Bats 8th and Christian bats 7th)

Walshy- how did starc not take his chance?, He still got more Runs than Hughes:p

People not picking Khawaja? Are you guys stupid?!

Totally agreed.

He'd be the opening partner for Watson in my best XI

Watson
Khawaja
Marsh
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin
Siddle
Pattinson
Lyon
Cummins

I've not considered Johnson or Harris due to injury concerns; they'd probably replace Pattinson and Siddle if fit and in form.

My team would be:

Hughes
Warner
Clarke
Ponting
Hussey
Cristian
Haddin
Siddle
Lyon
Patternson

Starc to be left out because he did not bowl in wicket taking areas and he didn't take his chance.

But keep Hughes? LOL... Starc scored more than Hughes and contributed with the ball.

If Watson fit, both he and Warner bowl. What else does Hughes offer other than the 'potential' to score some runs, which he isn't really doing?

i didnt get to watch much of this test but aussies did really well. how many more chances does hughes get? surely he's had enough now and someone else should get the chance. really impressed with the bowling of the new guys, the fielding not so impressive, but lucky for us NZ fielded worse lol

I Only kept Hughes because who else can open from the Available Squad in the 2nd Test. I think Khawaja may be a good opener but will he want to open?

Hughes maybe safe at least for the 2nd Test.

I Only kept Hughes because who else can open from the Available Squad in the 2nd Test. I think Khawaja may be a good opener but will he want to open?

Hughes maybe safe at least for the 2nd Test.

An article from today's Herald Sun suggests Starc may make way for Cummins.....

TEST debutant Mitchell Starc is facing the axe with rookie quick Pat Cummins set to return for the second Test against New Zealand in Hobart on Friday.

The Australian squad for Tasmania is named today and the selection panel faces the tough prospect of dumping either Starc, Peter Siddle or James Pattinson from the starting XI if Cummins proves his fitness as expected.

Pattinson is almost certainly safe after his man-of-the-match effort on debut (1-64 and 5-27), while Siddle operated as the spearhead in Brisbane and bowled with his usual vigour to return figures of 2-57 and 1-44.

That leaves Starc in the firing line. The rookie left-armer went wicketless (0-33) in New Zealand's second innings, although he showed his promise in the tourists' first dig, removing Brendon McCullum and Jesse Ryder with 2-90.

Skipper Michael Clarke said yesterday Cummins, who missed the first Test with a bruised heel, was an almost certain starter.

The futures of all-rounder and vice-captain Shane Watson (hamstring) and batsman Shaun Marsh (back) also will be known today.

"If he (Cummins) is fit it would be hard to leave him out after his performance in South Africa, no doubt," Clarke said.

"I would imagine he will come back into the squad. I haven't really thought about, but it would be hard to leave him out of the squad, that's for sure.

"I hope they are all back and available for selection.

"Mitch (Johnson, toe) obviously won't be right for Hobart, but I need to speak to Alex (Kountouris, team physio) and find out where all the boys are at. I haven't spoken to him about that during this Test match, but now we have some time so I'll talk to Alex and John Inverarity, the chairman of selectors.

"The plan is to announce a team (today). Obviously it's disappointing that Ben Cutting (12th man for the first Test) got injured playing for Queensland."

Clarke said he was pleased with the squad of bowlers Australia had cultivated following the emergence of Cummins, Pattinson and Starc.

"There are some young players who have been around first-class cricket who are now involved in the Australian set-up who have a lot of talent and it's about giving them an opportunity to see how they go," he said.

"Patto has been around the group now in regards to one-day cricket. We've always known he has a lot of talent and it was just about getting him as fit and strong as we could.

"He's been biding his time going back to first-class cricket and taking wickets and waiting for an opportunity.

"I said before the start of this Test match that I was confident with this attack we could take 20 wickets."

Clarke said the addition of Redbacks allrounder Dan Christian, who has been placed on standby, would give the Test squad an extra dimension, especially if Watson was ruled out again.

"Dan gives us options and that's what we're looking at in regards to the wicket in Hobart," he said.

"It's always nice to have another option ... to have a batsman who can bowl a bit.

"I've used 'Huss' (Michael Hussey) over the last few Tests and Dan has performed well for SA."

i didnt get to watch much of this test but aussies did really well. how many more chances does hughes get? surely he's had enough now and someone else should get the chance. really impressed with the bowling of the new guys, the fielding not so impressive, but lucky for us NZ fielded worse lol

Siddle, when he stopped that 4 and kept to a single was impressive but.

I thought it was Warner who did that, Its a risk taking Pat Cummins he may injure himself and the Indian Test Series is more important. But would definitely want to watch him bowl but too bad Starc won't be able to if Cummins plays.

I thought our fielding was great. Warner was really really good in the field.

ok so maybe our fielding wasnt too bad, they did a coiple of good things, but our catching was terrible. guess im used to the good old days of tubby taylor, mark waugh etc etc. we dropped some sitters during this test.

Team announced....from Herald Sun website....
AUSTRALIA is keeping teenage pace bowling star Patrick Cummins in cotton wool, naming Dan Christian in the team for the second Test against New Zealand in Hobart starting on Friday.

Cummins, man of the match on debut against South Africa in Johannesburg a fortnight ago, remains sidelined along with four other Test players who missed the nine-wicket first Test win over the Black Caps at the Gabba.

The only change from the first Test squad is the inclusion of South Australian all-rounder Christian in place of injured Queensland quick Ben Cutting, who was 12th man.

Cutting suffered a side strain while bowling in the Sheffield Shield match against Victoria and now joins fellow pacemen Cummins (heel), Ryan Harris (hip), Mitchell Johnson (toe surgery) and all-rounder Shane Watson (hamstring) on the sidelines.

Batsman Shaun Marsh has also been given extra time to overcome a lower back injury, alleviating some pressure on besieged opener Phil Hughes, who failed with scores of 10 and seven at the Gabba.

Australia team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said Cummins, Watson and Marsh were all on track to return in time for the four-Test series against India, starting on Boxing Day at the MCG.

"Pat Cummins is still recovering from the left heel injury sustained during the South Africa Test series," Kountouris said.

"Whilst he is improving, he is still not bowling and is unavailable for the second Test against New Zealand.
"He will continue his rehabilitation in an attempt to be fit for the first Test against India."

In Cummins' absence, Victorian debutant James Pattinson stood up with a man-of-the-match performance in Brisbane, taking 5-27 to rout the Black Caps for 150 in their second innings.

Chief selector John Inverarity said Cutting's injury opened the door for the in-form Christian to provide better balance to the team after captain Michael Clarke was forced to use the part-time medium-pace of Mike Hussey to support his young pace attack in the absence of all-rounder Watson.

"The balance of a team is always enhanced by the presence of an energetic all-rounder who is in good form,'' Inverarity said.

"James Pattinson's performance on debut will provide a great boost not only the team as a whole but to those who are new to the team in particular."

Australian team for second Test

Michael Clarke (Capt) NSW
Brad Haddin (Vice-captain) NSW
Dan Christian (SA)
Phillip Hughes (NSW)
Mike Hussey (WA)
Usman Khawaja (NSW)
Nathan Lyon (SA)
James Pattinson (Vic)
Ricky Ponting (Tas)
Peter Siddle (Vic)
Mitchell Starc (NSW)
David Warner (NSW)

Warner
Khawaja
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin
Christian
Pattinson
Siddle
Lyon
Cummins

12th Hughes.

I think Cummins Lyon and Pattinson should stay all summer. They will be our attack for many more years. I think Hughes needs to make way at the moment to see what others have to offer. Marsh's injuries are a worry to me so I think Khawaja is a better option, he just needs to convert one if his starts and he won't look back from there.

Punter, Huss and Haddin- I think Punter will get a bucket load of runs this summer, look at how Hussey proved his critics wrong last summer. Hussey I think will play on till the next ashes. Haddin I think is safe purely because Paine is injured. I know there is Wade but I think the selectors are thinking it will be too hard to bring Paine in if Wade is there.

Love that the boys proved the haters wrong. How many predicted we'd get smashed? Anyway bring on Hobart and then into the Indians.

I'd like to See Dan Christian play cause he can play the role Australia need when Shane Watson is injured which is with the bat and ball. If Christian plays he will become the 427th Australian Test Player and the 10th Player to make his debut this year if i'm right.

If Dan Christian plays, you have to be on "DAN CHRISTIAN WATCH"

Back
Top Bottom