2007 AFL Premiership season official thread.

AJ, Sorry you took offence to that because honestly i dont find the nickname, "The Dorks" to be very offensive. Its just a bit of a heated AFL discussion and i respect people opinions but if you can't handle me labelling your side the Dorks than thats a little sad.
Melbourne fans just about every year have had to deal with opposition fans saying that all us fans are off to the snow, well as long as i have been supporting the dees anyway and i dont take any offence to it, I just choose to ignore it. Some people get kicks out of it and useally most the crap is thrown at pie fans :). It comes with the territory of being a loyal AFL team supporter.

Delidio was a #1 draft pick and their have been some real dimonds in the rough even in the rookie draft like Dean Cox and Aaron Davey to name a couple. If you have a good enough scout you should be able to draft well regardless of where your picks are. Not always top 5 picks live up to their potential, Luke Livingston was pick 4 for Carlton years back and he didnt do anything and im just making one case of it. Gibbs was pick number 1 last year and im not convinced he will be a good footballer as of yet and it has taken Roughhead some time to finally string some good games together aswell. Their are so many good and bad cases that come out of the draft, and a more recent one would be Nathan Foley. He was choosen in the Rookie Draft and leads the AFL in clearances this year and has a big chance of making the All Australian team even with his team sitting 16th on the ladder.

I draw postives from everything because im an optimistic person and in a season I'd much rather forget as a demons fan their has been postives that suggest we will bounce back next year. Young Ricky Pettard who almost died has started to train with the Dee's again even after he was ruled out for the rest of the year. I look foward to watching the development of players like Jones, McLean, Sylvia, Dunn, Bate, Pettard, Newton, Bell and some other young ones in the coming years and anxiously await that elusive cup that we havent been able to hold for so long.
Be postive and be Patient because good things come to those who wait i say ;)

I draw postives from everything because im an optimistic person and in a season I'd much rather forget as a demons fan their has been postives that suggest we will bounce back next year. Young Ricky Pettard who almost died has started to train with the Dee's again even after he was ruled out for the rest of the year. I look foward to watching the development of players like Jones, McLean, Sylvia, Dunn, Bate, Pettard, Newton, Bell and some other young ones in the coming years and anxiously await that elusive cup that we havent been able to hold for so long.
Be postive and be Patient because good things come to those who wait i say ;)

Well put mate....As a fellow dees supporter i am also very interested to see how these players perform in the coming years. McLean will be the next captain, i have no doubt about that. But the development of players like
Dunn, who played in the backline for the first time i can remember last week, and went real well
& Bate, Great hands, but hopefully he an cure his inconsistancy

The others you have mentioned are all very promising players. Newton probably one of the most promising, looks like he could be developing into a mix of Robbo & Neita....well heres hoping anyway.:worthy:

AJ, Sorry you took offence to that because honestly i dont find the nickname, "The Dorks" to be very offensive. Its just a bit of a heated AFL discussion and i respect people opinions but if you can't handle me labelling your side the Dorks than thats a little sad.

It's not sad. I can be offended as its disrespectful.

It's not sad. I can be offended as its disrespectful.

Isn't the origin of 'The Dawks' from when Melbourne nearly merged with the Hawks, giving us that nickname? (This has probably been stated previously...)
I quite often refer to the Hawks as that cause it's stuck in my head. Same as 'The Weagles' (Eagles) and 'The Wobbles' (Colliwobbles = Collingwood). I don't use it offensively, merely as a name. Dorks while spelt differently to the way I mean it, would be simply a variation on that no?

Isn't the origin of 'The Dawks' from when Melbourne nearly merged with the Hawks, giving us that nickname? (This has probably been stated previously...)
I quite often refer to the Hawks as that cause it's stuck in my head. Same as 'The Weagles' (Eagles) and 'The Wobbles' (Colliwobbles = Collingwood). I don't use it offensively, merely as a name. Dorks while spelt differently to the way I mean it, would be simply a variation on that no?

It's still disrespectful because of the origin. The fact Melbourne members would vote to merge and as a result MY team gets stuck with that stupid nickname - it offends me.

It's still disrespectful because of the origin. The fact Melbourne members would vote to merge and as a result MY team gets stuck with that stupid nickname - it offends me.

I will always respect your team for keeping us out of that merger. Had it gone through, goodbye football for Ben. I was only 12 at the time so had no say...

Disrespectful....offends you...:rolleyes:

You are really being silly and looking like abit of a try hard supporter now. ;)

It has been estabished that everyone is only taking the piss and no actual offence was meant by it. Your talking like you own the team or play for them :blink::blink:

Disrespectful....offends you...:rolleyes:

You are really being silly and looking like abit of a try hard supporter now. ;)

It has been estabished that everyone is only taking the piss and no actual offence was meant by it. Your talking like you own the team or play for them :blink::blink:

I have a right to be offended. If the shoe was on the other foot and your team nearly lost its identity because of another team's supporters and then got stuck with a dodgy nickname... you'd understand. But instead all that happened was Hawthorn members and fans saved the history of second oldest club... Melbourne doesn't even have a derogatory nickname.

If my choosing to take offence to that makes me a try hard then so be it.

Take the piss out of your own team and give your own team a derogatory nickname then and maybe I wouldn't take so much offence.

I have a right to be offended. If the shoe was on the other foot and your team nearly lost its identity because of another team's supporters and then got stuck with a dodgy nickname... you'd understand. But instead all that happened was Hawthorn members and fans saved the history of second oldest club... Melbourne doesn't even have a derogatory nickname.

If my choosing to take offence to that makes me a try hard then so be it.

Take the piss out of your own team and give your own team a derogatory nickname then and maybe I wouldn't take so much offence.

Now I take offence! We're the oldest club thank you very much! :mad::p

How about...Dodgy Demons? Or as I've been relaying to people this season, 'Bunch of Softies'

Both could work....but i hope it doesnt stick...i might get offended :cool:

You don't understand do you - it's not the nickname, but where it came from that offends me. I nearly lost my club 11 years ago and that was one of the most disgusting things I saw when Melbourne members voted yes.

I will never ever forget or forgive that.

and nenjabin sorry lol wasn't sure whether it was you or geelong... lol since thats who the first game was played between...

Id like to congratulate baker for belting farmer.

The AFL is a load of crap...how do u suspend a bloke for SEVEN WEEKS where the is no video footage, the bloke he suposedly hit doesnt remember it and the only witness is THE OPPOSITION trainer...Way to go AFL you ****ERS!

The AFL is a load of crap...how do u suspend a bloke for SEVEN WEEKS where the is no video footage, the bloke he suposedly hit doesnt remember it and the only witness is THE OPPOSITION trainer...Way to go AFL you ****ERS!

Michael Voss saw it too and we all know its something Baker would do :) but given the lack of evidence 7 weeks is a tad excessive.

The Tribunal is all maths now; the incident would have classed to have been behind play, a high hit and all the other things that use to figure it out.

Baker also had demerit points carrying over, as well as a terrible record.

I expected 2 or 3...7 is the longest suspension since Greg Williams shoving the umpire, its a disgrace...Ricky Nixon gave evidence coz he saw it all from the crowd and he said Baker stopped to block Farmer and farmer ran into him coz he wasnt looking and they banged heads...

Ben Johnson does something that can quite easily break a guys neck and gets a lesser punishment...The tribunal is just..well that word that will get filtered if i say, but it starts with F

You don't understand do you - it's not the nickname, but where it came from that offends me. I nearly lost my club 11 years ago and that was one of the most disgusting things I saw when Melbourne members voted yes.

I will never ever forget or forgive that.

Yeah, well its been 11 years since it happened, so maybe its time to get over it... or maybe not, I havent forgiven Hawthorn for beating us in 89 by a goal :lol:

But at least your team didnt disappear like Fitzroy did.

And to anyone who thinks that the Brisbane Lions is a dual club with both Brisbane Bears and Fitzroy's history involved, look at the club records; not a Fitzroy player to be seen, and Chris Johnson is adjudged to have played for 2 clubs; Fitzroy and Brisbane, how does that work, yet Michael Voss, Marcus Ashcroft (who holds the games played record with 318; 15 less than Kevin Murray managed with Fitzroy) and Darryl White only played 1.

Despite ignoring the games played for Fitzroy in the clubs record books, they get access to Jonathan Brown through the father son rule, as well as Marc Murphy... how does that work :blink:

Fitzroy has disappeared in the eyes of the AFL, who now throw bags of money at any club who needs money these days (hands up for Carlton, Melbourne, Kangaroos, Western Bulldogs; actually any club could claim they need cash and get a blank cheque in the mail the next day it seems), throw draft picks at clubs who for just 1 year struggle, such as Collingwood after they made back to back grand finals, and talk about history being a big part of the league... Fitzroy was one of the original 8 teams who just celebrated its 100th year in the VFL, and one of the richest clubs; maybe not in dollars, but in history (they were the 1st back to back premiers and only team to win the flag from last place) and had the longest suffering supporter base in the league.

NOW thats a shame.

I think Bakers versions of events are plausible.

From what i have read....
Baker said Farmer was running behind him and Baker stopped to impead him and that caused the concussion and blood in a clash of heads. (Farmers nose to Bakers head)

Although you would have to think that Baker put a lot of effort into the impeading bump probably to much and threw his whole body backwards at Farmer to hit him in which a forceful headclash occured.

I think it was going to be four weeks but he had 127.5 points from carry over points plus extra 40% for previous suspension.

So even if Saints get sentence cut he still could end up with 3 to 5 weeks.

I expected 2 or 3...7 is the longest suspension since Greg Williams shoving the umpire, its a disgrace...Ricky Nixon gave evidence coz he saw it all from the crowd and he said Baker stopped to block Farmer and farmer ran into him coz he wasnt looking and they banged heads...

Ben Johnson does something that can quite easily break a guys neck and gets a lesser punishment...The tribunal is just..well that word that will get filtered if i say, but it starts with F

Baker would probably get 2 or 3 weeks if he punch someone in the stomach in play due his terrible record and the demerit points he has.

Behind play and high hit (I imagine that what the incident would have been classed as) would pretty much take it to 4 or 5 straight away, even without the rest of the classes used to figure out the demerit point amount.

Benny Johnson was lucky; mainly because no Melbourne player came through and knocked him out. I thought maybe 6 weeks because Johnson would have a good record from memory, and it was in play, so that would help a little.

and the word your thinking of is Firetruck... a word that starts with F and ends with uck

Its crap coz he's our #1 tagger and would get Judd like he normally does (or Kerr if Judd doesnt play)...we are stuffed now and have lost the slight chance we had of beating west coast and playing finals...God i hated Farmer before this, i loathe him now

Back
Top Bottom