1994 Futera NBL Series II

greencardy

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Greencardy
I was wondering if anyone knows the story behind the Jenny Whittle Opals (#204a) short print card from the 1994 Futera NBL Series II set?

Is anything mentioned in the futera file book about this?

I was wondering if anyone knows the story behind the Jenny Whittle Opals (#204a) short print card from the 1994 Futera NBL Series II set?

Is anything mentioned in the futera file book about this?

I wrote to Futera about this card. Apparently, the card failed to be included in their Series II release and as such, was only available directly from Futera, in what you correctly call a “short print”. Futera can't tell me exactly how many were printed, but believe the number was quite small. It is her "Rookie Card" and the only trading card ever produced for Jenny Whittle, who will likely be inducted into Australia's Basketball HoF one day. She was also the Captain of the Opals at the 2006 World Championships when Australia won the Gold Medal. I was lucky enough to find and buy the card last year, but sorry, not for sale. If you have one, I suggest you hold onto it.

I have attached the Opals checklist card (219) from the 1994 Futera Series II set. The Jenny Whittle card is not shown on this list and was not released with the set. What I speculate happened is; Futera realised they left Jenny Whittle out of the set (probably by mistake) and decided to run a separate "short print" card (204A). Anyone who wanted the card had to contact Futera direct to get it. Given this circumstance, I think the card is probably very rare.

Opals Header Card.JPG

When Futera went belly up their stock was discounted to retailers who sold it for like $5-$15 per box. So I opended a few boxes of Futera.

IF I remember correctly not only did I pull card 204A (Whittle) from a pack but also card 219A (Revised Checklist).

I still have a couple of each in a 5000 count box somewhere so I will check and post images.

I know this is an old thread but i have to ask what value is put on the Jenny Whittle card, if anyone can assist?

Difficult to answer. It's her rookie card and also a short print card (low printed number). The value will go up if she ends up in the Australian Hall of Fame. Right now, probably between $10 and $20, but could be a lot more.

Thanks Bill
I had read the earlier posts and i am not real sure that it is a rare card so i had to ask for myself!

Back
Top Bottom