Super Collecting Advice

Telfs Card Park

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Tom Telfer
eBay User
dynastysportscentral
Being new to the concept of super collecting with a PC of Kyle Anderson I have been shocked by the prices his hoops cards are going for. For example his /25 patch cost $32 and his /25 auto $50 for a guy who went pick 30. Both times I put in a high max bid but didn't expect them to go so high. Is this just new season hoopla or will these prices be reflective throughout the season? Keen to collect the guy but when his stuff sells for more than D Rob I am slightly concerned.

My advice on supercollecting, don't do it....buy the ones you like but remember you don't have to have EVERYTHING.

It's much more fun when you buy 10 nice cards than having to store 200+ inserts/parallels etc.

Your wallet will thank you for this advice. haha

Cheers
Matt

In terms of collectin one certain player, I have been collecting Shaq since 1992, I know that in general "buy nice cards only", but in the end since I am collecting Shaq, I tend to think that I've got to have them all, even some doubles or triples on some cards that I like...I know it hurts the pocket very much :D but that is the beauty of collecting...

Just my 2cents
Indra

My advice on supercollecting, don't do it....buy the ones you like but remember you don't have to have EVERYTHING.

It's much more fun when you buy 10 nice cards than having to store 200+ inserts/parallels etc.

Cheers
Matt

This does mate a lot of sense. Super collecting is a lot of fun tho. I love plugging holes in the PC or completing certain sets,years, rainbows etc. The only thing that makes it possible/realistic to get close to 100% is if you play is a scrub (IE. Aminu) and nobody else chases there stuff and they aren't included in a lot of sub sets and in every product.

Also a lot of super collectors do think's like discounting 1/1's to make it more feasible. I personally go for everything, but that's cause it's more fun IMO.

But here's one thing, Panini makes collecting even worse, with their 12 parallels for the Prizm, it does suck......that is crazy....But for pre-Panini cards somewhat was still all right, except on some products i.e. Topps.......

I find if its a scrub player go for everything, if they are a pricier player as Matt said you cant have everything... Which is soo much easier said than done, I know I cant afford every Penny card that comes out especially 1of1's but that doesn't make me want them any less or any less disappointed when I cant have them. Its one of those heart versus head battles I think that can never have a true winner!

I promise you, after 6 weeks all these prices will be pretty low. I'd strongly suggest (from experience), pickup what you can at a good price but don't go above what you feel is fair. There will always be another copy of the card surface in a few weeks or months that you can have a crack at.

I'm focusing on Faried's rookie year now, heading into two years of product later and am at 191/253 (non 1/1's). Best thing I could have done as most are readily available.

Also, 90% of these other guys will get bored soon. Or they are flippers trying to capitalize on the hype, grab some fast and send to BGS for (hopefully) a good grade and resell higher.

For a guy like Kyle Anderson, I would wait. Those prices will 100% come down.

Don't forget, the Spurs have made a habit of turning 2nd round picks in to gold, let alone a 1st rounder. he has played real nice this preseason also.

But I can't see him getting a whole lotta burn during the season. Wait it out a little and then jump on. Hoops is a pretty trash product IMO, even if improved. I wouldn't spend the coin.

Cheers
Matt

Agree Matt. I've changed my direction by going for quality over quantity but that's me, there's no 'hard rules' with collecting as long as your having fun. It's better to be spending on cards than alcohol right? er wait...I do enjoy my cold beers too ;)

Great convo guys, normally I only bid what I believe is fair and will continue to do so. The 2 cards mentioned were exceptions probably cos I have been waiting since draft day to get his cards lol. In all my other collections like D Rob and Spurs Immaculate I am more of a quality over quantity guy.

Yeah I have learnt from my Marquis Daniels collecting days of when I collected every single card of his from base all the way to 1/1's. I just collected certain cards for the sake of it and when they came in just put em in a box and hardly looked at them again and boy is it hard work to try and sell them off...almost feel like just dumping them its that frustrating haha! Now with the Tyson Chandler collecting I actually have goals of jersey numbered and anything serial numbered under his jersey number...which has saved me a ton! I don't have much control!

So glad to see I'm not the only sucker trapped in the "super collector" rut lmao.

Took me a long time for my head to realise following my heart in this game is a sure way to send you broke. It's all about quality over quantity these days and I actually enjoy the hobby again.

Remember posting something similar last year with Peyton Siva. His first cards (hoops) were going for $30-40 out of the gate. Crazy prices in my opinion. As each new product came out, the ones before it dropped in price slowly. Now Siva is in the D league and his prices have really bottomed out of course.

The one bit of advice I would pass on is, when new products come out, EVERYONE is opening them, so this is when you will find the "short prints". Buy them when u see them, cause some of them you may never get a chance at again. Siva had a several "0ut of" cards (1/3 or 1/5s) that came up when UpperDeck SP's came out, they went for a lot, but since then (been a year now), I have not seen ANY of them resurface. So the regular versions WAIT they will go down, but if you want SPs save up your cash and grab them when u see them.

With Noel collecting this year I did something different to my Bogut collection where I had to have everything.

Im only collecting Autos, Low numbered, jersey numbered and 1/1's. I dont collect jersey and only low numbered patches none of this /25 rubbish.

Being a "supercollector" of quite a few players, my advice is to collect within your means. If you are rich and have a money tree growing in your backyard, then just go for everything you see. If not, be smart about it, watch the trends and don't ever overpay for any card. Some great advices above, here's a few key advices:

1. Avoid new products unless you want to overpay. There is always great demand when a set is just released, that means great competition for cards and great prices if you want to sell, not to buy. Once the initial storm is over, a month or 2, prices settle down to normal prices. As mentioned above, this is probably the only time you will have access to buying low numbered cards because people are busting packs and finding them.
2. Avoid rookies because their cards are priced on potential. Like new products, people rush to collect new players based on the promise/potential they have shown. How many of them actually turned into superstars? or even just semi-stars? Be patient and wait a year or 2 to get an idea of how good these players actually are. So basically, I would rule out supercollecting any rookies unless they are really really unloved by the hobby.
3. Understand that you can never defeat the card companies, they will always out-produce you. Prepare to let those 1-of-1s go, even the abundance of /5, /10 these days, and printing plates. The checklist is ever increasing if you collect legends, but you can always pick some crap players who has a finite checklist.

Back
Top Bottom