Rugby League Jersey Card Hypothetical....

Should historic game worn rugby league jerseys be cut up for trading cards?

• Yes

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • No

Votes: 34 77.3%

• Total voters

Matt26

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Matt
Hi everyone,

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this.

If an NRL legend offered up an historic jersey (think Grand Final, Test, Origin etc) would you want to see these type of historic jerseys cut up for game used trading cards?

For modern day players, I have no problems as jerseys could be obtained fairly easily throughout the year, but say for example if John Sattler offered up his jersey he wore in the Grand Final where he broke his jaw, would you rather see this in a museum somewhere or cut up to be placed into trading cards?

Love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Cheers
Matt

I was talking to a friend that doesn't collect cards at all and I was explaining to him what they do with jersey's and cut them up to make jersey cards. He looked at me and said 'why the f*** would you do that to a jersey?' I was stumped at that, it really made no sense of cutting up historic game used jersey for our gratification.

My view is if its a heritage jersey and limited then its will have to be a no, if it's a modern day and they have a few jersey worn on that day then why not.

It would be nice but I don't think anything as historical as what you have explained belongs in a private collection, especially cut into little pieces. Something like that should be available for all lovers of the game to see not just the cardboard collectors. Probably a little confusing those couple of sentences but it is a NO from me.

Everyone has their own ideas on where collecting should go or already be but I don't understand why we need to keep up with the US market. We are the Australian market and the product should be aimed at satisfying Australians.

The thought of it brings me to say something like this. No are some people crazy or just plain insane. The americans are not that dumb, they just cut any new issued jersey. Market it as the game worn jersey of the century and people lap it up.

I for one would do crazy things for a titans game worn jersey card... dont even care if it's a rookie player or a player I'm not a big fan of.

As far as historic jerseys, unless they have two of the same don't do it

This idea has crossed my mind for a few years now as we see more game used jerseys being offered for sale, not just Legends but previous and current well known players.

How many "cuts" per jersey do you think there would be. My guess 100+(purely a guess).

$50-$100 per card selling price = a nice little earner after costs of about $5 - $10 per card

I believe it is not that far away from being done, as you own the jersey it is yours to do as you wish! The COA would be the ebay(etc) sale invoice and photos of course denoting how you obtained the item.

Sounds real close to hitting the market IMO.

I can offer Ron Coote's 1971 Grand Final winning Souths jersey if they want it!
ok, here's another hypothetical -

What if ESP were to purchase it (or another historical jersey) and put it in as a redemption for the framed jersey. How would you feel about that, so it would be going to a collector rather than a museum?

ok, here's another hypothetical -

What if ESP were to purchase it (or another historical jersey) and put it in as a redemption for the framed jersey. How would you feel about that, so it would be going to a collector rather than a museum?

I don't see the point in that, they are in the business of trading cards, not historical jersey giveaways.

As for the original question ... if I imagine getting a Paul Harragon 1997 Grand Final jersey patch card, it'd actually be pretty sad to think of that jersey being cut into a million pieces. So ... no!

Why dont that just do jersey cards players wear a average of 26 jerseys a year not including finals surely ESP can get their hands of these its not hard to do.
They actually wear the same jersey for most of the year, they generally on game day will have 2 jersey's, obviously this doesnt include "special" occasion jersey's (Heritage/WIL etc)
Personally i think it would be a wrong to cut up a jersey like Sattler's GF one...

I want to spice up this debate and apologise to Matt if he feels I'm hijacking this thread. There appears to be an overwhelming majority (including myself) who object to cutting up a piece of league history and see it as desecration of our game. However, I think Matt should run a concurrent thread headlining "Would you buy a historic game worn jersey card for your PC?". I anticipate that there would be an overwhelming majority in favour of adding a card of this calibre to one's PC. There wouldn't be many who would refain on principle. What Parra supporter wouldn't want a piece of Hindy's 300th game, Ben Elias' origin blood or part of the jersey of a Churchill medalist.
We all agree that from a business persepctive there would prob be a decent margin for this product so why wouldn't it be considered. Hypothetically, if ESP were watching this thread or were the driving force behing it, I for one would consider this forward thinking. Is it just me or isn't this what collectors have been screaming out for in the last few years? Something new (and possibly controversial)
Food for thought.
Mischa

Back
Top Bottom