Craig
eBay User
White_Chocolate_55
Hi all.

ok, so I have a few q's I'm hoping someone can help with

1) Do you use Xbox Live?

2) If No.. go no further

3) If Yes, do you play online?

4) If Yes, does it run smoothly? And what ADSL connection do you have? Is it worth playing online?

5) For games like NBA 2K8, does Xbox live update rosters etc??

Just some q's I'm interested in hearing about from you guys..

Yep use online a lot.

Havent played in a while.

Have a 1.5MB ADSL connection, runs spot on (unless I'm over my capped limit, which always seems to be the case).

Colin and I have played 2K8 online many a times, I've found it to be awesome, no glitches at all.

Def. roster updates. I was only checking last night as I've started a new Association with the Nets, but 2K Server was down.

Lemme know if you need any more info.

EDITED (memory not with it today).

When you download a roster, it downloads as a new roster.

So if you've worked your arse off trying to put people in the right spots, etc, etc, you can still keep it, however, the new roster will make it 2 rosters (can only use 1 at any time).

With created players, I'll check what happens with those, I think they might save as separate from roster, but not sure.

I'll be live from next weekend and was wondering; Can the 360 be connected to a wireless modem via the USB port or does it have to be through the ethernet port on the back?

The modem I got is just a little wireless USB reciever type...

the 360 to be connected wireless needs to have the xbox wireless card. or a wireless switch connected to a ethernet port..

its better going VIA the ethernet port

EDITED (memory not with it today).

When you download a roster, it downloads as a new roster.

So if you've worked your arse off trying to put people in the right spots, etc, etc, you can still keep it, however, the new roster will make it 2 rosters (can only use 1 at any time).

With created players, I'll check what happens with those, I think they might save as separate from roster, but not sure.

Dude when you download roster updates it saves the roster as a new roster so your default roster the one with created players ect ect isnt overwrited

the 360 to be connected wireless needs to have the xbox wireless card. or a wireless switch connected to a ethernet port..

its better going VIA the ethernet port

But the wireless card I got has a USB adapter and the back of my 360 has a usb port under the enthernet port. Can't I just connect it like that?

You got an evil amount of posts there... :eek: ;)

Just because two devices both have USB ports, does not necessarily mean that they are compatible.

I understand that Doc and that's why I'm asking. It just seemed like a weird place to put a USB port right under the ethernet port, I thought it may be there as an alternative option for an internet connection.

I really don't want to go out and fork out $$$$ for the official xbox wireless adapter if I don't need to.

I understand that Doc and that's why I'm asking. It just seemed like a weird place to put a USB port right under the ethernet port, I thought it may be there as an alternative option for an internet connection.

I really don't want to go out and fork out $$$$ for the official xbox wireless adapter if I don't need to.

Fair enough, best option is to search through more dedicated XBox 360 forums, as they are likely to have found a workaround to having the official adapter...if there is one.

EDIT: a quick search yielded this:

Is the Xbox 360 wireless adapter worth it? - Yahoo! Answers

So it seems you can work around the expensive official adaptor, whether it is easy or not, I don't know.

Definitely would be a more consistent/faster connection if you could connect directly via cable, wireless connections have a bad habit of dropping out or losing some data packets at the worst possible times!

Dude when you download roster updates it saves the roster as a new roster so your default roster the one with created players ect ect isnt overwrited

Yeah I know that Phil, I didnt know if created players are stored to a roster, or if they are separate.

IE. you create a player, save to a roster, then update the roster (download) to have a more current one, but your created players are only on the old(er) roster...

Make sense??

Fair enough, best option is to search through more dedicated XBox 360 forums, as they are likely to have found a workaround to having the official adapter...if there is one.

EDIT: a quick search yielded this:

Is the Xbox 360 wireless adapter worth it? - Yahoo! Answers

So it seems you can work around the expensive official adaptor, whether it is easy or not, I don't know.

Definitely would be a more consistent/faster connection if you could connect directly via cable, wireless connections have a bad habit of dropping out or losing some data packets at the worst possible times!

Thanks for the info Doc :thumbsup:

I'll be looking into it more through the week before I set everything up and happy to hear that there is a way, and possibly a better soloution according to the post on that link.

Cabled is always the best option, wireless will work, but quality not as good, and speed not as good.

Cable is always better but i used wireless on ADSL 2+ and its fine as i dont get lag and i can host no problems.... but if i could go cable i would

i just use the ethernet cord, ive played 2k8, call of duty 4 and now GTA IV online and had no problems.

just a little lag on cod4 wen playing americans.

So I'm about to get Live hooked up, whats the best option for playing live
Don't want to spend too much if it's not going to get used, say i play 10-15 hours a week
Which would be sufficient to cover this and just bumming around on the internet?
256/64kbps @ 12GB
64kbps @ 2GB
128kbps @ 15GB
128kbps @ 5GB

Is it best to go for 128+ kbps or will it handle slow download speeds and I should just worry about download usage size

Any better plans Buzzy? The download limits are stacked, but the connection speeds look crap....

At least a 512kb connection I would have thought..

1.5MB or better would be ideal. :thumbsup:

Any better plans Buzzy? The download limits are stacked, but the connection speeds look crap....

At least a 512kb connection I would have thought..

1.5MB or better would be ideal. :thumbsup:

Narh those were just straight off the telstra and optus websites, who do you use for you internet? I'll try to find something around 512kb if thats the case.

Telstra & Optus plans are generally piss-poor to be blunt.

They over charge and give crap speeds. If you get a higher speed, it's really hefty!

Mine is through InTas (Tassie ISP).

I hear that Chad has a kick-arse net connection??

Do searches on the web, you'll be able to find something better.

Back
Top Bottom