World XI- Who would you pick?

Warney

Number 20.
Real Name
Anthony
eBay User
tazzad1109
In relation to my other thread, Your Best All Time XI, i have decided to start up another one but for the current time players.

If you were a selector of the World XI who would you pick?

Only current players- even if they recently retired they don't count:)

Here is mine:

1. Graeme Smith
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Clarke
5. Kevin Pietersen
6. JP Duminy
7. MS Dhoni
8. Mitchell Johnson
9. Fidel Edwards
10. Muttiah Muralitharan
11. Dale Steyn

Batsmen-
Pretty easy selection there i reckon, Smith and Tendulkar are in great form, so are Ricky, Pup and KP in my opinion.

All-Rounder-
This is a tough one, but from what i have seen of him he is a star. Picked over Collingwood and Yurvaj.

Wicketkeeper-
Easy choice again, Haddin struggled through 09 with injury, England's academy of wicketkeeper's (true:lol:) did ok but i will hand it to MS Dhoni on this occasion, he can bat as well!!!

Bowlers-
I reckon this is a pretty strong bowling attack, Steyn and Fidel would open which would be a absolute nightmare for the batsmen:D Then Mitch and Muttiah can go on the attack!

kp has been injured and out of the game for a while came back like last week and made 20 odd cant be in good fourm =P although amazing cricketer!!

---------- Post added 23-11-2009 at 12:17 PM ----------

as for my list it would be:

1.Graeme Smith <----- Amazing fourm and all fourms of the game
2.Simon Kaitch<----- how offten dose this man fail? can bat all day
3.Sachin Tendulkar <----- say no more
4.Ricky Ponting<----- All ways loves a challange and very rarely fails
5..Mahela Jayawardana <------ great fourm of late scoring big and fast No.1 IIC ranking
6.Jacques Kallis<----- all rounder bat field and bowl
7.Mahendra Singh Dhoni <----- no keeper better around the world with gloves or bat
8.Cameron White <----- amazing fourm with the bat of late handy fielder and bowl spin
9.Daniel Vittori <----- great with the ball and can swing a bat
10.Mitchell Johnson <----- up and down lately but would rise to the challange
11.Dale Steyn<----- great fourm fast and straight

Fidel edwards is a brilliant bowler mate. Also Cam White is a handy fielder and handy with the bat but i have never seen him as a bowler, especially spinners!

you serious?? lol
over 150 first class wickets in 100 matchs
5 wickets in 4 matchs for aus

he bowls like a chinaman right arm leg spin i rate him as a part timer..

yes i am serious, i never said i didn't see him as a part timer, he can bowl half decently but i don't think at International Level. Richie Benaud and co have said themselves he isn't much of a spin bowler, he barely spins the ball and should be rated as a medium pacer instead of a leg break googly. Look how many overs he has had in First class cricket as well:thumbsup:

I would much rather have Lasith Malinga than Fidel Edwards

yeah he was the other one i was thinking of, Slinger Malinga can certainly get wickets!

Bringing up this thread again!

I was just thinking---

Cameron White will never be a true leg spin bowler because of his action!

No way would fidel edwards make the world 11
Agreed - he's quick - that's it - always hurt too...

---------- Post added 16-05-2010 at 07:05 PM ----------

If you're talking tests

1.Graeme Smith
2.Virender Sehwag
3.Sachin Tendulkar
4.Jacques Kallis
5.Mahela Jayawardene
6. Dwayne Bravo
7.MS Dhoni
8. Daniel Vettori
9. Mohammed Aamer
10.Mitchell Johnson
11.Dale Steyn

Now honourable mentions!
Strauss from England has been quality lately...Katich is close - a hard wicket to get for sure..Ponting hasn't been the force he was and Clarke is also close but isn't as prolific as Jayawardene, I have Bravo and Kallis in there as allrounders, Bravo especially can turn a game and Kallis is an underrated 4th seamer...
Vettori?? Now averages 40 with the bat the last 2 or 3 years, a tight bowler but not a huge game turner with the ball so u might want Murali or Mendis in there or even Swann from England who was outstanding last year.
Steyn and Johnson are givens, and I have Aamer as my 3rd seamer, quick and straight and a leftie (??) I think...

Dhoni gets the keepers spot ahead of McCullum and Haddin although I feel BMac is the better keeper of the 3....
Captain would be Graeme Smith.

Walsh's XI

1. Phillip Hughes - Batting with Sachin with be great for him, there would not be too much pressure to score, and he can just play his normal game.

2. Sachin Tendulkar - Keeps the runs up at about six an over and would be great with Phillip at the top.

3. Ricky Pointing - When push comes to shove he is the man, can build a great innings out of nothing, there to steady the ship.

4. Mahela Jayawardana - Is a great batsman and can play all around the ground, he has all the shots and always makes a few.

5. Michael Clarke - Is a great player and can bat anywhere in the top. Kills the half-vollies and has a great drive down the ground. Can face both pace and spin.

6. Steve Smith - Like Hughes he is there to get some confidence and have a good time doing so. He can bat, he can bowl and he can field. Even if he doesn't make runs he is always learning.

7. Mahendra Singh Dhoni - Is a great keeper and is a great person to have in the team. He can also add runs really fast.

8. Brett Lee - When he is fit he means danger for the batsmen, would open with Steyn. Wows now try facing that!

9. Dale Steyn - Can move the ball away from the right hander at 155 clicks. Would be so hard to face with Lee.

10. Mitchell Johnson - A great left hand bowler who is capable of knocking over a team in a matter of over’s.

11. Harbhajan Singh - Is a great spinner and could help make Smith into a great. When bowling with someone like Dale Steyn he would really strut his stuff.

12. Kumar Sangakkara - Could be in as just a batsman but can also keep. Would Swap with Dhoni.

---------- Post added 16-05-2010 at 04:50 PM ----------

Agreed - he's quick - that's it - always hurt too...

---------- Post added 16-05-2010 at 07:05 PM ----------

If you're talking tests

1.Graeme Smith
2.Virender Sehwag
3.Sachin Tendulkar
4.Jacques Kallis
5.Mahela Jayawardene
6. Dwayne Bravo
7.MS Dhoni
8. Daniel Vettori
9. Mohammed Aamer
10.Mitchell Johnson
11.Dale Steyn

Now honourable mentions!
Strauss from England has been quality lately...Katich is close - a hard wicket to get for sure..Ponting hasn't been the force he was and Clarke is also close but isn't as prolific as Jayawardene, I have Bravo and Kallis in there as allrounders, Bravo especially can turn a game and Kallis is an underrated 4th seamer...
Vettori?? Now averages 40 with the bat the last 2 or 3 years, a tight bowler but not a huge game turner with the ball so u might want Murali or Mendis in there or even Swann from England who was outstanding last year.
Steyn and Johnson are givens, and I have Aamer as my 3rd seamer, quick and straight and a leftie (??) I think...

Dhoni gets the keepers spot ahead of McCullum and Haddin although I feel BMac is the better keeper of the 3....
Captain would be Graeme Smith.

Yea Aamer is a Left hander.

Steve Smith and Phillip hughes in the world X1????????
They can't even get a test match in the aussie team.

Walsh's XI

1. Phillip Hughes - Batting with Sachin with be great for him, there would not be too much pressure to score, and he can just play his normal game.

2. Sachin Tendulkar - Keeps the runs up at about six an over and would be great with Phillip at the top.

3. Ricky Pointing - When push comes to shove he is the man, can build a great innings out of nothing, there to steady the ship.

4. Mahela Jayawardana - Is a great batsman and can play all around the ground, he has all the shots and always makes a few.

5. Michael Clarke - Is a great player and can bat anywhere in the top. Kills the half-vollies and has a great drive down the ground. Can face both pace and spin.

6. Steve Smith - Like Hughes he is there to get some confidence and have a good time doing so. He can bat, he can bowl and he can field. Even if he doesn't make runs he is always learning.

7. Mahendra Singh Dhoni - Is a great keeper and is a great person to have in the team. He can also add runs really fast.

8. Brett Lee - When he is fit he means danger for the batsmen, would open with Steyn. Wows now try facing that!

9. Dale Steyn - Can move the ball away from the right hander at 155 clicks. Would be so hard to face with Lee.

10. Mitchell Johnson - A great left hand bowler who is capable of knocking over a team in a matter of over’s.

11. Harbhajan Singh - Is a great spinner and could help make Smith into a great. When bowling with someone like Dale Steyn he would really strut his stuff.

12. Kumar Sangakkara - Could be in as just a batsman but can also keep. Would Swap with Dhoni.

---------- Post added 16-05-2010 at 04:50 PM ----------

Yea Aamer is a Left hander.

If u were picking a world XI for tests u would pick Lee and Hughes????Lee is virtually retired and Hughes has played a handful of tests...they are not the best in the world...
Steve Smith?? :woot: :lol::lol::lol:This isn't an Australian development team. It's the worlds best test team NOW.

Otherwise as a kiwi I'd have Jessie Ryder - for his development....and Shane Bond - sure he's always hurt but he's awesome and has the best strike rate in the HISTORY of test cricket BY MILES - but he's always hurt so u can't pick him....

and Shane Bond - sure he's always hurt but he's awesome and has the best strike rate in the HISTORY of test cricket BY MILES - but he's always hurt so u can't pick him....
And he has retired from all forms of cricket..

If u were picking a world XI for tests u would pick Lee and Hughes????Lee is virtually retired and Hughes has played a handful of tests...they are not the best in the world...
Steve Smith?? :woot: :lol::lol::lol:This isn't an Australian development team. It's the worlds best test team NOW.

Otherwise as a kiwi I'd have Jessie Ryder - for his development....and Shane Bond - sure he's always hurt but he's awesome and has the best strike rate in the HISTORY of test cricket BY MILES - but he's always hurt so u can't pick him....

It's my team not yours mate, I can make it the way it want.

---------- Post added 17-05-2010 at 06:58 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
It's my team not yours mate, I can make it the way it want.

Whatever - u put Steve Smith in then - he's the best in the world pfftt!!

We'll call it the Walshy XI cos it ain't no world XI :whistle::whistle:

Congrats to the poms for finally winning a tournament too....

Here is mine (world test IX of current players).

Strauss-consistent run scorer
Sehwag-can decimate an attack
Tendulker-nothing need be said
Ponting-top class
Hussey-Mr Cricket
Peterson-finding form
Haddin-not much in it
Vettori-best left hand bowler and scores runs
Johnson-left hand variation
Steyn-Number one
Anderson-test bowler
Harbhajan 12th-narrowly misses

Worth a mention Kallis, deVilliers, Dhoni,Jayawardene,Clarke,Broad.

Back
Top Bottom