Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Buying & selling whatever I can all day every day

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Nothing - hibernating

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other - reply in thread

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Buying cards for my sets from comc and a bit of random NRL and AFL stuff on ebay. Still selling to try and recoup some money from all the wax I broke in 2018/19/20 and the stupidly expensive cards which I bought as 'investments' in 2020 and which I got absolutely hosed on. Happy to get anything for those.

late 2020 and early 2021 was just brutal for buying.

Perhaps you can open a thread where we can list our worst ever investments?

I've got a lot to choose from but this one was pretty ordinary - a MPJ 2018/19 base Prizm rookie for $50USD which is now about $1.25, lol. I'm not awesome at maths but that has to be close to a 97.5% loss.

And this trade on e-pack. I traded 2 X Lafreniere YG's (which I had traded for a few months earlier at peak prices of $180USD each) for a Oliver Wahlstrom YG Exclusive. /100. I recently sold the Wahlstrom Exclusive for $46 USD. A massive loss. I've made some atrocious trades on there.

I rarely buy cards for 'investment' purposes anymore. Set collecting way more fun.

Too many PC cards have become available at the same time recently. Unfortunately timing and lack of available funds has meant I’ve had to pick and choose…But happy with what I’ve managed to get my hands on.

Right now I'd say I'm hibernating. Pick up the odd single now and then, but nothing like that 2012-2015 period where I spent thousands on boxes.

Nearly being wiped out in the floods last month kinda kicked me in the arse to finally sort through all those tubs of cards I put away in 2015. So I might be a seller soon.

Which in turn will probably make me a buyer again 😅 although a bit more focused this time.

That's a great list of teams there. I hadn't noticed them before. I'm guessing you are originally from WA?

Canucks finally delivering on the talent. Shattered that I sold my Elias YG PSA10's. Got to get them back!

I hope they win it all. Put $60 on them at 60-1 in the first week of the season.

Last edited:
I've been moving stuff.

But still buying. There's too much nice stuff out there. A couple of major wants have just hit PWCC this week too.

The ausd vs the usd is the real issue here. Brutal for buying. Great for selling.

I have been buying too much to flip. I should just focus on PC

If I tallied up my flips in the last 12 months I'd be definitely down. If I go back to cards I bought in late 2020 early 2021 it's really grim. For my own peace of mind I won't be doing the maths.

It's fun but the profit margins are small and it only takes one bad card to undo the 8 from which you made a small profit on. The risk is too high for serious flipping imo. I take my hat off to those who do it successfully but they must also get a bit lucky here and there. But mostly they must be putting in big hours to keep abreast of the markets or just target a few and know them inside out and, perhaps most importantly, live in America where you have access to lots of shows.

Like many others I got lucky because I'd had a few years before Covid and opened lots of wax which paid for itself and some. Also the singles prior to 2020 were very profitable - the Josh Allen numbered Prizm rookies come to mind. In around April 2019( I could check on comc for the exact date) Allen and Lamar numbered Prizm rookies like the Orange /249 and blue die cuts /199 were going for $20. The non numbered parallels all for less than $10. It's mind blowing how cheap that stuff was going for compared to the peak or even today. I sold way before the peak but still did 8X-10X. Pretty much everything that I opened or bought in 2018/19. Just couldn't miss.

But all the soccer cards I purchased in late 2020 were a disaster and all the baseball from 2021 likewise. Most of that stuff is close to worthless and I even put it in as extras for certain buyers on ebay.

Buying for the pc is much more satisfying.

That's a great list of teams there. I hadn't noticed them before. I'm guessing you are originally from WA?

Canucks finally delivering on the talent. Shattered that I sold my Elias YG PSA10's. Got to get them back!

I hope they win it all. Put $60 on them at 60-1 in the first week of the season.

Haha yeah originally from WA, thought I've spent more of my life in QLD, I'm not one for changing teams.

Had my doubts when they hired Tocchet, his coaching record was unspectacular to say the least, and they absolutely botched the transition which put him in a hostile environment, but he's made them such a better team defensively. And everyone loves a winner, I'll happily eat all my hats if they win the cup.

I've never bought a card with the intention to just flip it, but I've definitely sold cards when I needed to for a bit less than I paid :lol:

I really only sell when I get bored of that particular chase, or decide to focus on something else though. So I guess I feel less concerned about losing when the intention was winning.

I guess I'm also still making "profits" on some sales compared to what I paid, but nothing like selling a PSA 10 Lebron Chrome rc for like $70k at peak like someone on this forum did. Absolutely wild stuff.

I've never bought a card with the intention to just flip it, but I've definitely sold cards when I needed to for a bit less than I paid :lol:

I really only sell when I get bored of that particular chase, or decide to focus on something else though. So I guess I feel less concerned about losing when the intention was winning.

I guess I'm also still making "profits" on some sales compared to what I paid, but nothing like selling a PSA 10 Lebron Chrome rc for like $70k at peak like someone on this forum did. Absolutely wild stuff.

I'm a bit like you in a way. The times I usually sell something is to fund another purchase that im interested in!

It's also amazing how the market has corrected itself over the past 12 months.

I know someone who sold a Morant Prizm Rookie card (limited to 49 BGS 9.5) for $18,000 US and the last sale of the same card was $2,600 US.

I still think there there is some way to go over the next few years in terms of card prices and corrections.

I think no matter what quality cards of iconic players (Legends and Stars) will always hold value but much of the last 5 years worth of cards have been printed (and graded) in such huge quantities that a vast majority of the cards printed aren't rare and even those that are low numbered have so many versions that its overwhelming.

A great piece of advice I was told was to buy cards of players whose legacy is already set. You remove the risk of them having an injury or form slump or get traded to a dud team which would impact on the price you pay.

While I do understand it, it still boggles my mind that cards of players who have achieved nothing in terms of success/awards etc. sell for much higher amounts of players who are top 75, won multiple championships, MVP's etc.

Totally agree. If cards are ever to be considered as genuine investments then the majority of the hobby is going to have to value the super star HOF cards higher than a hyped rookie whose card is valued on pure speculation and manufactured scarcity. I still cringe when folks( mainly breakers and influencers) drool over a low numbered parallel when it's the same image as the base card, etc. If you count up all the rookie cards in all the products that modern players have it dwarfs those of players whose cards were in the 1980's,1990's junk wax era.

Until a Joe Montana rookie or a Tom Brady rookie is valued higher in any grade than a numbered prizm of ( insert about 20 names) who have to date done nothing( save for Mahomes) and will probably never win a SB, the whole 'investing' thing will be little more than a game of hot potato.

Totally agree. If cards are ever to be considered as genuine investments then the majority of the hobby is going to have to value the super star HOF cards higher than a hyped rookie whose card is valued on pure speculation and manufactured scarcity. I still cringe when folks( mainly breakers and influencers) drool over a low numbered parallel when it's the same image as the base card, etc. If you count up all the rookie cards in all the products that modern players have it dwarfs those of players whose cards were in the 1980's,1990's junk wax era.

Until a Joe Montana rookie or a Tom Brady rookie is valued higher in any grade than a numbered prizm of ( insert about 20 names) who have to date done nothing( save for Mahomes) and will probably never win a SB, the whole 'investing' thing will be little more than a game of hot potato.

Funny you mentioned Joe Montana.......picked up a Leaf Sticker auto of him for $40. Sure Leaf isn't as highly regarded as others and its a sticker auto ....and yes he does sign a fair bit.......but $40 for probably the 2nd greatest of all time? Seems way too cheap. But Now I have a Joe Cool auto in the PC and couldn't be happier!

Haha yeah originally from WA, thought I've spent more of my life in QLD, I'm not one for changing teams.

Had my doubts when they hired Tocchet, his coaching record was unspectacular to say the least, and they absolutely botched the transition which put him in a hostile environment, but he's made them such a better team defensively. And everyone loves a winner, I'll happily eat all my hats if they win the cup.
Managed to buy back a raw Pettersson Young Guns from comc yesterday. Pretty stoked actually. He was the guy I was mostly chasing in 2020 on epack. They still had boxes of 2018-19 S1 on there and I was trading for him as well. I had about 6 of them at one point. One guy on there, a massive Canucks fan had close to 100 plus a fist full of the Canvas YG and 2X Exclusives /100. Hopefully I can add the Canvas YG one day. It's a nice looking card but the cheapest on comc was $120USD which is steep. I've never seen it lower than $90USD. One day.

I thought he was going to be a stud back in 2020. He has been underwhelming so far given the talent but this seems a genuine breakout year and he's cemented himself as the 1C. They are huge long shots to win it but eventually a Canadian team has to....right?

Funny you mentioned Joe Montana.......picked up a Leaf Sticker auto of him for $40. Sure Leaf isn't as highly regarded as others and its a sticker auto ....and yes he does sign a fair bit.......but $40 for probably the 2nd greatest of all time? Seems way too cheap. But Now I have a Joe Cool auto in the PC and couldn't be happier!
That's a great deal. It may be Leaf but it's a licensed auto. I'd rather take one of those than the in person PSA/DNA ones.

I was looking on comc for one but I didn't see anything under $150 maybe more.

Well done!

The first ever SB I watched was the 49'ers v Bengals in 1982( 1981 season). I had my cousins trying to explain the game to me but even with virtually no idea what was going on I enjoyed what I was watching.

That was Joe's first SB ring and I adopted him as my favourite NFL player. He's the only one I have any real affinity for and it's because of that childhood memory.

Winning 4 from 4 is a pretty unique record. Not quite MJ level unique, lol, but it's still a unique feat in NFL

The first ever SB I watched was the 49'ers v Bengals in 1982( 1981 season). I had my cousins trying to explain the game to me but even with virtually no idea what was going on I enjoyed what I was watching.

That was Joe's first SB ring and I adopted him as my favourite NFL player. He's the only one I have any real affinity for and it's because of that childhood memory.

Winning 4 from 4 is a pretty unique record. Not quite MJ level unique, lol, but it's still a unique feat in NFL

I love the story about how he wore the same Jersey in 2 Superbowl's.......wouldn't be able to do it these days but it sold at auction for a motza!

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/06/joe-montana-jersey-fetches-record-price-auction-tom-brady

The jersey that 49ers great Joe Montana wore in Super Bowl XIX and Super Bowl XXIII just sold for a new record at auction, going for $1,212,000, according to Goldin Auctions.
Montana wore the jersey when the 49ers beat Dan Marino and the Dolphins in Super Bowl XIX in January 1985, a game in which Montana was named MVP after throwing for 331 yards and three touchdowns and rushing for another score.

Four years later, when the 49ers played in Super Bowl XXIII, Montana’s wife pulled the jersey out of a scrapbook and put it in his bag with a note that said “Maybe you want to wear it again,” according to USA Today.

Montana did wear it again and facilitated a legendary game-winning drive which ended with a 10-yard touchdown pass to John Taylor in the final minute. The 49ers won, 20–16.

Although the $1.2 million sale price seems astronomical, fans would be hard-pressed to find a football jersey with more historical significance than Montana’s. It’s not often—maybe never—that the same jersey is worn in multiple Super Bowl victories by one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game.

Back
Top Bottom