where to from here??

Hi all , haven't been on the sites for ages as the transition a few years ago from collectors to hype lords and so called investors ransacked the hobby and it killed it for me personally .

After Dealing On US sites it killed it for me completely after reading and watching what groups where tactically doing making cards from $300 become worth $4000 in not even 6 months or a card selling for years at $800 now all of a sudden it's worth $20 k lol in a space of 6 months , to many shady characters to even think about selling overseas in risk of getting burned , the Investors hyping and pumping their own stock , consignors everywhere now with shill bids blatantly on most high end sales , card companies making pieces of cardboard be somehow worth $7000 a case lmao.

The whole hobby has been infiltrated and seriously dismantled to what it is today which is quite sad , if i want to invest i surely do not do it in cards as it is un-regulated and this is why you are seeing a different un-regulated business module today ( not a hobby ).

For example the Blake Griffin Rc ( many have gone the same way ) was selling for over $3k now what's it worth ? I feel sorry for the people that got caught up in the hypers .

It's a shame as these so called investors have basically destroyed the next generations to keep coming into the ( hobby ) and in the long run this will have a detrimental effect when this generation that has done this will be sitting on trash as the younger bucks never even considered this ( hobby ) leaving a dwindling pool in the ( hobby) which means the pool will dry up willing to pay these stupid prices for a piece of cardboard .

What happens when the pool of people dwindle with no fresh new generations entering you destroy the market , give it a few years .

Mostly these day's it's not about you obtaining the card of your dreams for collecting purpose it is all about the $$$$.

The ( hobby ) already has been altered dramatically in a space of 5 years , I do not see it lasting for the next 20 years when people actually wake up and start realizing they are getting ripped of severely by a handful of Investors littered in this game only out to get your $$$ and are in no way or form in the game for the ( hobby ) but only to make bank with no shame .

If i have the time over the next few months I am seriously going to dump all my stock and be done with this so called ( hobby ) for good as it is a far cry from when it was fun , and after nearly 12 months of not even looking at the boards i am not surprised this hobby is where it is atm , when a lot of us where vocal we just go shot down , now the hobby is where it is .

I know what I am saying won't sit well with all but hey i alway's have called as it is .

Last edited:
The 'hobby' has been f'd for a while.

It became infiltrated with investors and scammers. Only now are people on Blowout beginning to uncover massive trim jobs and fakes that are now infiltrated into collections and sold through the many consignment services that hold no accountability. Investors need their profit and thus, won't sell for less, making it harder for collectors to get what they want. And of course the speculators who spend up on cards to try to flip and then hold hostage until they can. With the only licenced manufacturer specifically catering to group breakers instead of collectors, it is no longer a HOBBY.
I've hated the state of the hobby for some time, hence my lack of involvement around, and it's actually getting worse.

Hi all , haven't been on the sites for ages as the transition a few years ago from collectors to hype lords and so called investors ransacked the hobby and it killed it for me personally .

After Dealing On US sites it killed it for me completely after reading and watching what groups where tactically doing making cards from $300 become worth $4000 in not even 6 months or a card selling for years at $800 now all of a sudden it's worth $20 k lol in a space of 6 months , to many shady characters to even think about selling overseas in risk of getting burned , the Investors hyping and pumping their own stock , consignors everywhere now with shill bids blatantly on most high end sales , card companies making pieces of cardboard be somehow worth $7000 a case lmao.

The whole hobby has been infiltrated and seriously dismantled to what it is today which is quite sad , if i want to invest i surely do not do it in cards as it is un-regulated and this is why you are seeing a different un-regulated business module today ( not a hobby ).

For example the Blake Griffin Rc ( many have gone the same way ) was selling for over $3k now what's it worth ? I feel sorry for the people that got caught up in the hypers .

It's a shame as these so called investors have basically destroyed the next generations to keep coming into the ( hobby ) and in the long run this will have a detrimental effect when this generation that has done this will be sitting on trash as the younger bucks never even considered this ( hobby ) leaving a dwindling pool in the ( hobby) which means the pool will dry up willing to pay these stupid prices for a piece of cardboard .

What happens when the pool of people dwindle with no fresh new generations entering you destroy the market , give it a few years .

Mostly these day's it's not about you obtaining the card of your dreams for collecting purpose it is all about the $$$$.

The ( hobby ) already has been altered dramatically in a space of 5 years , I do not see it lasting for the next 20 years when people actually wake up and start realizing they are getting ripped of severely by a handful of Investors littered in this game only out to get your $$$ and are in no way or form in the game for the ( hobby ) but only to make bank with no shame .

If i have the time over the next few months I am seriously going to dump all my stock and be done with this so called ( hobby ) for good as it is a far cry from when it was fun , and after nearly 12 months of not even looking at the boards i am not surprised this hobby is where it is atm , when a lot of us where vocal we just go shot down , now the hobby is where it is .

I know what I am saying won't sit well with all but hey i alway's have called as it is .
I think this is bang on.
I'm not going to be mad at those who do case breaks etc and bank... that's their good luck I spose but it has made the hobby less fun for us who collect just because.
I also miss card shops... Yes I was into the whole scene back in the early/mid 90's.
We just swapped, it was rare to buy or sell cards. Someone had something dope, you had to have something equally dope to trade, trade waaay in their favour or just wish you had that card. But that was the joy of it. I appreciate eBay, forums and the general interknob as it gives us access to so much more than we could back in the day but.. it has made it more of a cash grab. It's also so much less personal in terms of interaction, I remember we'd get together and check out each other's player files now known as a PC and it was really fun. If you collected the same guy as someone else, you'd take the piss out of each other and say "I got this one" and then "but you don't have this one" it was fun banter. These days especially the US forum are illmannered cry babies who either talk crap about others, have cliquey bitch sessions or are just sharks.
In my opinion, there will always be key pieces in basketball cards and they will always be bought and sold however, like society in general for the most part it will be a disconnect of impersonal transactions rather than the value of decent, fun/satisfying interactions.
It doesn't matter if you collect MJ or James Ennis, you can only control your reasons and joy in collecting. When that enjoyment stops, give it away. The downside of collecting cheap players as in my case is it's difficult for people to be bothered to look for anything you may need as there's "no gain" to unload a few cheap cards.
I remember as a kid, I had probably 50 cards of most players to trade for either Zo's, Kemp's or Ewing's. But I used to love helping out the guy who collected Joe Dumars or Detlef Schrempf just because I liked that they collected someone not as popular and the cards I had of them had no particular value to me so it was great to make them happy.
Anyway, as they say....times change.

^ this above opinion piece from Gary V is good in a way as it will bring new collectors to the scene, but also bad news, because it brings the investor sharks to hype players, push up prices and horde a lot of nice cards with no special interest in the hobby except making money.

Addressing those concerns mentioned, I see the argument for/against breakers. I get it completely because breakers facilitate the opportunity for manufacturers and more/so large distributors (dacw, blowout) to inflate prices.

Even myself on a very good mining wage, I could not justify the cost of buying a case of Opulence/Flawless to myself.
But with a mate or three I definitely could. And I would have no trouble finding those people now with the internet age.
In essence that's where 'breaking' sprung from. Just sharing the cost of products that are unaffordable as a single purchaser.
The most driving factor I believe, is that a lot of people don't want cards of 29 other NBA teams, they only want their team. So they love Pick Your Team case breaks. Breaks have definitely changed the landscape of the hobby, no two ways about it.

However without it, imagine removing breaking entirely. You would never see 50% of the cards that make it to the secondary market for people to chase. Prices would be through the roof too due to the scarcity.

One major thing ruining the Aus hobby since September 2014 is our pathetic AUD against the USD. We haven't been anywhere close to 90c on the dollar since. We've touched 80c a couple of times very briefly, but now wallowing around 70c for the past year.
Praying for some strength back in our economy both nationally and internationally to build it back up!

Apparently Gary V was buying up Lebron Chrome at the Nationals

April 15 2019 post
View: https://twitter.com/garyvee/status/1117611783609569282

1566639911306.png

Do you think this is a good move Andrew? I guess in a way cards and the hobby will now get the exposure it deserves but in return drive card prices up?
I don't think it's a great thing. It really removes the hobby aspect, I've seen it happen to the sneaker industry. The market for flipping becomes even bigger and people know that it is easy and quick money. It further reinforces the need for "hits", speculative buying (Giannis type) and a new collector type that is not all that interested in the actual cards but simply the $$$ associated with it.

Personally, I think this will only increase box and break prices, and then factor the Zion hype into the mix, the Luka prices hype and it will be harder to get into anything with more people and higher prices. For my own collection I think it's a good thing, however at the same time I'm not looking to move too much, so it will be interesting to see how long term these investors stay and what the impact is on prices.

On the impact on prices -
The other thing these entrepreneurs/investors will know (and be good at) is understanding, controlling and manipulating the market. Perfect example above with the Lebron Chromes - Garry V says he wants them in April and by August they have doubled in price.

Agree with everything Andrew said, couldn't have said it better. Won't mean much to my collection which is purely Supersonics, but it will affect many others.

I've seen these hype beasts destroy a once awesome sneaker collecting hobby 15-20 years ago and turn it to absolute sh1t. The hobby of collecting sports cards looks to be next in line.

"We were blown away by the similarities we saw between the card market today and the sneaker market back in 2015"
...and that is the opportunity for us to falsley inflate prices whilst sucking our % out of each transaction and all the time not giving a fig about the effect it has on the people in the hobby.

I agree, the similarities are uncanny. :rolleyes:

Nice post Billy. A few more of those wouldn't go astray.

If you want more life in here I could discontinue my meds and before you could say: "Get this c.... out of here" I will have created 50 new threads.

In all seriousness, though, I don't know what the future holds ( overproduction and forgery are my biggest concerns) but I like it just the way it is. Other than buying Scanlens VFL cards in the early 1980's I have never really been into trading cards. It's very time consuming. I like busting wax in the hope of hitting a prospect or rookie that might be worth a bit in years to come., going in the occasional break( I watch a fair few of them) and putting together master sets. However, I find it easier to just buy the cards I need to complete a set from a site such as comc and then selling those I don't need. Unless you can make a substantial trade to complete a set it just not worth doing. It takes time to get trades done and the postage costs quickly add up if you're having to do multiple trades.

I think the best thing about the hobby is the diversity. You can do master sets, player/team pc's, speculate on prospects and rookies, or try to hit a monster card in a break.

Good luck to everyone.

Recently found out my Ray Allen 04/05 Exquisite had been recoloured after sending it in for grading. I then bought another one off eBay which had the same issue. That's pretty much me done with the hobby, the major question I have is whether I should sell up my Giannis Preferred Rookie Auto /49 graded bgs9.5 or not haha.

Recently found out my Ray Allen 04/05 Exquisite had been recoloured after sending it in for grading. I then bought another one off eBay which had the same issue. That's pretty much me done with the hobby, the major question I have is whether I should sell up my Giannis Preferred Rookie Auto /49 graded bgs9.5 or not haha.

That sucks mate.

Deep breath. Press on.

Back
Top Bottom