OzCardTrader
Real Name
Vince
eBay User
soccercardsrock
COMC User
vmassara
Hi everyone

As the title suggests, where do you get your AFL cards graded?

I've graded one AFL card through SGC before (a Matt Rowell rookie), but I have a decent collection that I'm looking to sub soon.

I like PSA and SGC for my soccer collection, but I don't know if it's really worth it for AFL. I don't love the idea of using a USA based company for Australian sports cards - not as a patriotic thing, but more of a 'these people wouldn't know an AFL footy if it hit them in the fact, how can they grade it' kind of way. There's been a pretty large amount of fakes in soccer getting graded recently just because the product knowledge isn't there.

However, I've used PSA enough to know that they're the top of the heap when it comes to grading.
Do you use PSA, SGC, BGS, or CGA?

It's an interesting topic and one I've been thinking about a lot recently myself. I dont think PSA really adds the value to an AFL card like it does cards in other sports. The market for graded AFL cards doesn't really seem to be there like we see in other sports. Personally if I was going to grade any of my AFL cards I would use Card Grading Australia at this point in time. That being said I don't know that having a 10 versus a raw card AFL would result in much difference in price. I could be wrong but that's my take.

I think PSA is completely unfeasible right now with their prices and turnaround times, same goes for any of the US graders really.

Card Grading Australia is where I go. When you verify the slab using the QR code it says there are pop reports coming soon which I think could increase interest.

At the moment only a small amount of collectors seem interested in graded cards. This could change if the market stays this hot (people paying double retail for boxes etc). I know I've been disappointed with cards I've bought online when they arrive in the mail (iffy corners, surface dents etc that don't come up in photos).

I think PSA is completely unfeasible right now with their prices and turnaround times, same goes for any of the US graders really.

Card Grading Australia is where I go. When you verify the slab using the QR code it says there are pop reports coming soon which I think could increase interest.

At the moment only a small amount of collectors seem interested in graded cards. This could change if the market stays this hot (people paying double retail for boxes etc). I know I've been disappointed with cards I've bought online when they arrive in the mail (iffy corners, surface dents etc that don't come up in photos).
TCG grading already has a pop report plus theyre teamed up with Animals Asia (which i guess is a good thing).

Doesn't seem anyone has used them to grade AFL cards yet

Im pretty tempted to go and try HGA for my personal collection. The fact you can do custom artwork banners means you could have some great club colour slabs. Last I checked their prices werent ridiculous yet and turn around times were ok - but I think they are also starting to struggle under the might of the hobby-vestor-flippers

Im pretty tempted to go and try HGA for my personal collection. The fact you can do custom artwork banners means you could have some great club colour slabs. Last I checked their prices werent ridiculous yet and turn around times were ok - but I think they are also starting to struggle under the might of the hobby-vestor-flippers
Yeah, I like HGA for PC. Still looking at $35 AUD per card (plus shipping to US if you want the grade - and maybe half a year wait from door to door). PC slabs are fairly cheap and the slabs do look fun. Though do they let you customise the label yourself, or do they just do it to the specific card? I think I'd want a nice Carlton banner on my Sam Walsh prestige green, rather than a big green banner.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new CGA slabs look like. Kind of cool they're doing their equivalent of a Beckett Black label for super pristine 10s.

Back
Top Bottom