What's the most you've knowingly overpaid for a card?

skip20

The (un)official PC Showdown Special Comments Guy
Real Name
Skip
Okay, so the long and short of it is I'm one card away from completing a base set I've been chasing since 1993-94 (Jam Session btw, so not exactly one of the more readily available sets to chase down these days). Anyway, just saw the card I needed but the guy wants about 1000% more than what it's worth and I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on what is for all intent and purposes and stupid deal to make.

So it made me wonder, what's the most you've overpaid for a card? A question only for the truly hard core collectors I suppose!

How much money are we talking about for this card that you are hunting?

I have overpaid a few times and could be up to double of the asking price as I factor that I don't have to look at ebay (even with alerts), different forums everyday as it gets really tiring.

The other thing is how often does the card you want appear on the market, (eg serial# 99), you will think that yeah there are still 98 copies out there but it is scarce as but after you buy your copy and a copy get listed on ebay 3 months later....

How much money are we talking about for this card that you are hunting?

I have overpaid a few times and could be up to double of the asking price as I factor that I don't have to look at ebay (even with alerts), different forums everyday as it gets really tiring.

The other thing is how often does the card you want appear on the market, (eg serial# 99), you will think that yeah there are still 98 copies out there but it is scarce as but after you buy your copy and a copy get listed on ebay 3 months later....

It's literally a nothing base card probably worth 10 or 20 cents and the guy wants a few USD for it. Not exactly breaking the bank but the principle just doesn't sit right with me...it's not like I'm overpaying for a 1/1 or a short print card. There should literally be thousands of this card available but ironically it's so worthless nobody really bothers to even try selling them!

When Steven Adams was still a scrub, I paid $1000US for his Flawless 1/1 RC auto because it was the only way I could ever get it. The owner was rich and doesn't sell many of his cards.
Yes, $550 more than McLemore and just $450 less than MCW who was hot. Had to have it, and so it cost me large.

When Steven Adams was still a scrub, I paid $1000US for his Flawless 1/1 RC auto because it was the only way I could ever get it. The owner was rich and doesn't sell many of his cards.
Yes, $550 more than McLemore and just $450 less than MCW who was hot. Had to have it, and so it cost me large.
Was it that guy from HK with, like, every single goddamn high end Wiggins 1/1 in existence?

I have many times. Not to that extent however I have paid $20-$30 for a $3 card just because the rest are probably hidden in "scrub" piles that people never look in to see if anyone needs it.
I have this dilemma right now where someone has an Ennis card I need but are asking over $25 us and it's a $4 card but I have never seen another and it's not exactly a short print. For me it's hard to find Ennis cards I don't have so I am thinking about it. Watched it end and relist 3 times already. Just hoping they'll put an obo or lower the effing price lol. Problem is, when I buy it I guarantee someone will list it at $3 bin haha has happened before!!
Funny how sometimes an non #'d card or #'d above say 20 can be so hard to find yet /5 /10 are generally readily available. Also how /5 generally sell for less than /10 or /15 of course this depends on WHO you are buying. Almost all of my /5 cards of Ennis have cost less than the /10 /15 versions especially in flawless.

@skip20 Jam session cards are very hard to track down 1 and 2 most of them have spent the last 20+ years with the top half hanging out of the pocket which makes them prone to getting creased and / or damaged corners. If it's a "scrub player" you may have to just bite the bullet mate. That sucks though. Good luck mate hope you get it or better still find anothwr copy.

@skip20 Jam session cards are very hard to track down 1 and 2 most of them have spent the last 20+ years with the top half hanging out of the pocket which makes them prone to getting creased and / or damaged corners. If it's a "scrub player" you may have to just bite the bullet mate. That sucks though. Good luck mate hope you get it or better still find anothwr copy.

Trouble is the more that people tolerate this sort of behaviour and things like shilling the more prevalent it will be become, just don't like rewarding these tyrants. Next thing you know every common base card will be $2 a pop and set collectors will end up extinct.

It's like a double edged sword, a catch 22, you're damned if you don't, you're damned if you do.

I say buy it 100/100 times.

It's like a double edged sword, a catch 22, you're damned if you don't, you're damned if you do.

I say buy it 100/100 times.

I guess that's the YOLO school of thought! I guess the truly hardcore collectors never think twice....

im a set collector, and ive paid a few times way to much for 1 card to get a set finished, and on a lot of forums people do know what you are after, and as ive read allready few times in here, people get the price up for scrub cards as soon as they know you want that card, mostly those cards are laying around in some of there boxes in the garage, but they know you want it, so they ask way to much or they want you to give up a decent star card in return,
have a discussion going on right now on another forum, where a guy wants a on card auto for a semi star 1$ refractor (if he got luck he can sell it on ebay for like 000,0000005 ) but still he doesnt want to trade it to me, or for a westbrook rc or a semi-star on card auto worth at least $20 in BV;
well, thats how the hobby gets sscrewed
i traded 25 refractors i have laying around, all doubles from a set i finished and traded to another set collector for some tradebait, nothing i really can use, but i can help him out with his set to finish, and i got some tradebait in return.
to sad people profit alot,

im a set collector, and ive paid a few times way to much for 1 card to get a set finished, and on a lot of forums people do know what you are after, and as ive read allready few times in here, people get the price up for scrub cards as soon as they know you want that card, mostly those cards are laying around in some of there boxes in the garage, but they know you want it, so they ask way to much or they want you to give up a decent star card in return,
have a discussion going on right now on another forum, where a guy wants a on card auto for a semi star 1$ refractor (if he got luck he can sell it on ebay for like 000,0000005 ) but still he doesnt want to trade it to me, or for a westbrook rc or a semi-star on card auto worth at least $20 in BV;
well, thats how the hobby gets sscrewed
i traded 25 refractors i have laying around, all doubles from a set i finished and traded to another set collector for some tradebait, nothing i really can use, but i can help him out with his set to finish, and i got some tradebait in return.
to sad people profit alot,

Thankfully a member on this thread saw this post and is now helping me out with the base card concerned! Was willing to do it for free but I'm happy to send something better back in exchange - there are still some great members around, especially on this site. It;s another reason to avoid the cruddy behaviour, if you wait long enough you normally get a second bite at the cherry and the hobby doesn't get screwed over.

His handle on BO was "mj23hk"

His Ebay Handle is "ddarmking"

His COMC handle is "mj23hk"

He obviously was looking for attention constantly as he thought he had fan's, obviously money can't buy you morals nor friends lol
Made a purchase from someone on ebay with the username "card23hk". Very similar username, should I be concerned?

Back
Top Bottom