Whats some good TV shows to watch?

GRISELDA (Netflix) 6 part series on the famous 70's/80's female drug king pin Griselda Blanco who turned Miami into a cocaine war zone.
I have seen a few doco's on Griselda and this series, holds up to her story.Sofia Vergara did a fine job as Griselda (even changing her appearance for the show).
I'm personally fascinated by the whole Narco/cartels/drug wars history and this is another fine show that revolves around that crazy world... very good 8/10*

For All Mankind - 8/10 (Recommended by Matt)

4 seasons thus far and looking like there will be more.
A damn fine show!!!
Starts on the premise that the Russians are the first to land on the moon and the alternate timeline unravels from there.
Great cast and extremely well presented in every aspect.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7772588/

I've caught a few documentaries on Griselda Blanco myself, so hearing that this series holds up to her story is intriguing. Sofia Vergara's transformation for the role must be something to see - it's always impressive when actors really commit to their characters.
You know, I've always been drawn to the history of narco cartels and drug wars. It's like peeking into this dark, dangerous underworld that's both terrifying and strangely captivating. So, I'm definitely adding "GRISELDA" to my watchlist, thanks to your recommendation.
If you're still on the hunt for more shows in a similar vein, count me in. And hey, if you're feeling like a change of pace, maybe we should check out mocies for some new movies.

Anybody watching SLOW HORSES on Apple TV+. It is about a group of MI5 dysfunctional agents banished to a place called Slough House under the leadership of an obnoxious boss named Jackson Lamb played by a brilliant Gary Oldman. The only other actor I was familiar with is Kristin Scott Thomas but the remainder of the cast are all excellent. There are 3 seasons available and I believe another is to be produced. I have seen 2 series and it just keeps getting better and better. Well worth watching.
I'll add my support for this series, it's bloody brilliant.

In addition, I'll recommend Lupin on Netflix. It's in French so you'll have to manage subtitles but it's quite clever and a bit of fun.

Next series up for me is Rogue Heroes, which is about the formation of a precursor to the SAS, the Long Range Desert Group.

The Peripheral

Would love for this to have continued, and it was renewed to get another season, but Amazon in its infinite cruelty cancelled it when the writer's strike delayed production, and it wouldn't have got released until 2025.

Based on a William Gibson book, and its a great piece of speculative dystopian science fiction, laden with his typical pessimism and nihilism. Went in with some trepidation not knowing how well it was adapted, and that I hadn't seen Chloe Moretz in anything for about 10 years, but she does a decent job as the lead, as does most of the cast.

If you dig shows about the downfall of society and the dire implications for future tech, its worth a watch. Just know that its one and done, and while it kinda has a conclusion, it also kinda doesn't.

new season of SUNDERLAND TIL I DIE - ( Netflix) I'm not a soccer fan at all but enjoy most sport doco's- the first 2 seasons of this doco series were great, this series follows on that (alas only 3 episodes this season)
A well produced and presented series..
all 3 series together = 8/10*

new season of SUNDERLAND TIL I DIE - ( Netflix) I'm not a soccer fan at all but enjoy most sport doco's- the first 2 seasons of this doco series were great, this series follows on that (alas only 3 episodes this season)
A well produced and presented series..
all 3 series together = 8/10*
I didn’t know they were doing a Season 3, especially so long after 1 & 2. Will have to check it out

The Gentlemen - 8.5/10

As a follow up to Slow Horses this had big shoes to fill and it did with spades.
Top cast and the signature Guy Ritchie touch.
If you are not a fan of Guy Ritchie movies, then of course, give it a swerve.
Cast and execution of this show are very much on point, storyline follows along from the movie of the same name from 2019.
Guy Ritchie has a talent for these typically English tales of Gangsta genre.
Cracker of a show and a big thumbs up.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13210838/

Shogun

The only criticism I have so far is that I had to subscribe to Disney+ to watch it.

Based on James Clavell's epic novel of the same name, likened to a Game of Thrones set in feudal Japan, they have nailed the authenticity of the era.

While fictional the story is based on historical figures and events, rife with political intrigue, loyalty and betrayal, stoicism, honor and protocol, with the occasional act of shocking brutality.

7 out of 10 episodes released so far, with no apparent plans for a second season (its Disney though, and if there's one thing they do its milk a popular property dry)

Well worth subbing to the big D for month. And hey I get to catch up on Bob's Burgers too.

UNLOCKED:A JAIL EXPERIMENT (Netflix) A pretty cool social experience/reality drama based in a U.S prison.
The interaction of young/older prisoners is interesting..more focused on the running of a pod then the violence.
(8 episode season)well done 7/10*

Shogun

The only criticism I have so far is that I had to subscribe to Disney+ to watch it.

Based on James Clavell's epic novel of the same name, likened to a Game of Thrones set in feudal Japan, they have nailed the authenticity of the era.

While fictional the story is based on historical figures and events, rife with political intrigue, loyalty and betrayal, stoicism, honor and protocol, with the occasional act of shocking brutality.

7 out of 10 episodes released so far, with no apparent plans for a second season (its Disney though, and if there's one thing they do its milk a popular property dry)

Well worth subbing to the big D for month. And hey I get to catch up on Bob's Burgers too.
I just rewatched the original series as a warmup to get into this ...
Will wait till they have released all 10 episodes before getting into it, really looking forward to this show.

Fallout - 4 episodes in and really enjoying the hell out of this offering.
Granted, it probably helps if you have played the games but not a definite prerequisite.
Good cast and they have spared no expense on the making of this show.
Looking forward to finishing this off!

Back
Top Bottom