UFC UFC 151 CANCELLED!!!

spare a thought for those that had tickets, yep thats me.... lucky the trip is for my best mates wedding and ufc was just a bonus

I like this main event better then Jones v Machida 2. Jones destroyed him less then a year ago. Vitor can put anyone out with those fists. Has he deserved a shot at the LHW title? No! But who cares, Machida didn't deserve a shot either. Machida was extremely lucky to get his first shot at Jones, lat alone a second! He was 1 win 2 losses in his last 3 fights when he got his first shot, now he is 3 losses 2 wins in his last 5 when granted this second shot.

Tbf many had Machida beating rampage and he then got ko of the year when he beat couture.

Machida is a unique fighter and given that Jones had already beaten Bader, Rampage and Rua that year, matching him up with Machida the first time made sense regardless of Machida's short-term record.

Ultimately its indicative of how shallow the LHW division has become and how much the UFC is stretching themselves thin. Its also indicative of changing fighter attitudes. A few weeks ago Rua said he wants more tune up fights before facing Jones again, Machida is willing (well insofar as he wanted to fight Jones in Brazil).

Belfort is a bizarre choice, I'd rather they pick from their light heavy pool, regardless if they deserve it or not, rather than have a guy passed his prime step up to a weight class he hasn't fought in 5 years. Jones' 10 inch reach advantage will be tough for him to overcome.

Yeah fair points on the first shot, I actually didn't have a problem with his first shot anyway, but this second one I dont think was deserved at all. I dont think the LHW division is weak, its just that there is a freak of nature at the top of the food chain who is making it appear that way.

Jon Jones is a schmuck! Serious, he turned down Sonnen who HASNT been training, and Jones has. Sure, it's against another opponent, but how many dudes step up at the last minute to keep the cards going. What about all the other blokes on that draw card who were set to fight, to earn some coin, only to now not get that shot. I think I read somewhere, or was talking to a guy at work about it, where Dana said they have Mortgage payments to make, etc.

I understand that Jones has a lot to lose, but what makes it any different to getting beaten by Dan Henderson? Sure Hendo's a lefty, but that shouldnt take MONTHS to train for, when you're this damn good.

At least he could have made it a non-title fight with Sonnen, and you know Sonnen would have helped promote that fight and bring in the bucks for UFC/Jones/etc.

Worst case scenario - Sonnen somehow pulls out the biggest upset ever, Jones still gets a massive payday as we all know Sonnen can bring in the PPV buys with that mouth, on top of which it is well known that fighters who help out the UFC in situations like this are well compensated with 'locker room' payments/bonuses, then he gets an immediate re match and an even bigger pay day, because big rematches = $$$.

I'd completely forgotten; imagine where we'd be if Shogun had turned down Jones as Evans' replacement. :whistle:

I dont think the LHW division is weak

Weak is maybe not the right word, but all the household names are either getting old or dropping down to middleweight, and the UFC is wary killing off the hype behind some of the up-and-comers by pitting them against Jones too early. That said, they don't have much in the way of fresh talent stringing together consistent wins. Both Bader and Davis got quickly derailed.

Mind you I'd rather they'd have made Gustafsson as Jones' next opponent, rather than put him on the shelf until December to fight Shogun. I know many would say he needs to beat a Shogun, Machida or an Evans to earn a title shot, but given the current situation where everyone is turning the fight down, why not strike while the iron is hot and Gustafsson has some momentum behind him. Afterall, if Gufstafsson wins - great. The UFC has a new bankable LHW keep the vi

Ha good point, I completely forgot that Shogun took Jones as a replacement.

Yeah Gustafsson would have been my pick too for the next shot. I guess the UFC is trying to delay that fight because if Jones destroys him to then there is a big problem. Davis is no hope. But I am hoping Shogun gets another shot (biased obviously) but he has a history of destroying anyone he faces in a rematch, he has never lost a rematch and all rematches (4 off the top of my head) have ended in devestating fashion. Clutching at straws I know, but I really think he can put up a far better fight then what he showed the first time.

Chael and Hendo both train under Team Quest. They all knew Hendo was injured over a month ago (listen to Hendo interview). normally these fighters will do all they can get over the injury or even fight partially injured, so they will delay announcing it till as late as possible. meanwhile chael was training for Jones just in case... and well just in case happened and we have what we have now.

everyone has an opinion on JJ, Machida and Rua being cowards and turning down fight. The biggest argument is JJ is a champion he should be able to fight anyone. but the fact is if you go into anything, no matter how good you are, you'll get schooled by a person who had a month extra to prepare. the UFC is still pretty much in it's infancy, but the current top fighters are high level professionals and giving someone as dangerous as Chael a month head start, not to mention the TRT, is dumb. Jones has nothing to gain by fighting Chael.

the hype machine that is Dana White is laying the blame on Jones, because he is the ultimate businessman. any publicity is good publicity for him. he wants jones to lose, like he wanted anderson to lose, like he wanted GSP to lose, so that he can bill a rematch. historically rematches sell, in any sports and UFC is no different. all you have to do is look at the PPV. it is no coincidence that lesnar/mir 2, lidell/ortiz 2, gsp/penn 2, gsp/koscheck 2 attracted the highest PPV.

taking his bag and going home like Dana did by cancelling UFC 151 is pathetic. The fans got hard done by a greedy P2ick that couldn't handle one thing playing against him.

I don't understand how Sonnen would get a month head start? The guy was asked to fight, he said yes. Jones has been preparing to fight for months!! Sonnen's had 8 days notice.

Seriously doubt that Dana WANTS Jones to lose, a champion is a champion no matter who it is. Think back to all the shit with Silva, he's earnt a lot of Dana's respect since all that began, and same with Jones, but now that Jones turned down the fight, he's lost a lot of respect. Belfort won't make a better champion, and he won't do any favours for UFC or earn them more money, so it's UFCs best interest (now) to keep Jones as the champion, until they can build a bigger headline.

Dana tried the rematch, with Machida, but Lyoto turned it down, as he hasnt been training for a fight, Sonnen has, but Jones turned HIM down... What's that say about Jones? You can't be selective on WHO you want to fight when you're the champion, true champions will fight anyone who's dealt them! Everyone gets a shot some day.

It would have been nice if they could have headlined the original 151 with another 2 fighters, but they couldnt, so they canned the whole show, obviously they couldnt rake enough coin to pay everyone AND still make money. Feel bad for the under-card fighters who were ready to go, and now they miss their chance, and even more importantly, they miss out on getting paid!

And the hits keep on coming, Aldo and Rampage both out of UFC 153. Faber is trying to get himself or Mendes in as Aldo's replacement, but given the event is in Rio its as tough sell.

Back
Top Bottom