Things that piss me off

Yep - agree with all of this.

But it’s not all sellers. I received one this week that made me laugh.

It was 1 card worth (paid?) $36.

Was in a sleeve and top loader - nothing astounding just yet.

But then also surrounded by thick cardboard on both sides and wrapped in bubble wrap inside a white envelope. Ok - that’s good.

But then the white envelope was inside a bubble mailer and the bubble mailer was taped down inside a box.

Took me 30mins to open the damn thing.

But yes - 5* for card protection 😁

I used to do that but my cheapest card was $15. I've relented and now send anything between $4 and $14 via unregistered. I dare say I could sell a lot of cards in the $1-$5 range if I went the $1.20 white envelope route but it just feels wrong.
Each to their own. I just don't want to take risks. I always ask how they want it posted but let them know my preferred method to avoid any disappointment. I sent $1 cards the same way I send $300 cards.

I'm in two minds on this one.

Had a relatively ordinary experience with an experienced seller a few months back where he sent an expensive card to the wrong address and if it wasn't for someone putting up the envelope on a FB community noticeboard I'd have never seen it. Oh well, accident.

Bought a heap of cheap regular cards off him last week. Sent two requests for an invoice and a message that went unresponded. Ended up paying at the last possible minute with the bulk postage amount (like ~$20 for a dozen cards from one side of Melb to the other) hoping he'd do the right thing and refund.

Got a refund of $5 back, which still seemed underwhelming at the time but whatever. Receive the cards today and he's put them in a white envelope with no protection whatsoever. (Similar issue last time also)

No hesitation in leaving negative feedback this time around. And given there were about 20 individual cards, a fair bit of it.

He's now refunded the whole transaction, and claiming it was an accident and he's very sorry about it. Torn between removing the feedback and taking the money, but on the other, it's clearly not an accident, he does this all the time, he's got a perfect record on Ebay of about 32k positive feedback, and clearly the negative ones get cleaned up this way too. Rather this not happen to others either...

My 2 cents worth (which isn’t very valuable) - is that I always apply the ‘attitude test’.

If it were me - I’d engage in further respectful conversation seeking to understand what he means by ‘accident’.

Accidentally overcharged and accidentally put into a white envelope. Sorry - I don’t understand.

If he owns his poor approach and apologises I’d be happy enough to let it go.

If he continues with the ridiculous attempt at an explanation then I’d leave the negative review and I’d confidently explain to him why I’ve chosen to do so.

Recently looked into changing up my mobile plan.
Paying 58 a month with Telstra which is bloody ridiculous.
Quick google and discovered TPG have a 50% of their monthly price, locked in for 6 months.
$25 a month plan for 25 gig, now at $12.50, hell yeah I thought.
Enter the dramas, after 5 days of being bombarded with emails every time one of them scratched their arse.
SIM card received, turns out the very first representative I spoke to ( I say spoke .. barely speaking English ) obviously got my DOB wrong.
After 2 hours on the phone to both Telstra and TPG trying to work out wtf is going on (Telstra guys could not believe the whole process) I have now been put in TPG jail because I gave them the wrong DOB !!! Like errr, yeah I regularly give out my wrong DOB to people when signing up for things.
2 days later and still heard nothing.
Is it asking too much in Australia to speak with someone who can speak the language clearly and understand same, when looking for service?

There is a huge difference between big business ignorance and ebay selling cards ignorance, however they are both from the same fruit tree.
I used to work for Westnet and also a few other service providers in call centres in Perth and then moved over for a while to Bunnings IT dealing with managing mobile phones sims chips and phones themselves. My biggest gripe is that we needed to develop online data capture so there would be no issues on getting info wrong from out team members. Like DOB and other such lovely things. One thing I have seen Optus and few other services now are doing with in the own app is sending verification directly to the mobile so there is no issues unless you fill it out wrong.

Moving carriors to save money in general is a good thing for your pocket. If you own the phone outright then thats easier as you can just do what you need to do, however when dealing with otherseas call centres, I would rather deal with a webpage. Nothing personal against them as they need to make a living, but the voip systems they use to make and receive calls is so outdated two tin cans and a piece of thread would have better results. Even big carriors are using voip all the time due to cheaper internet phone calls and making profits.

Here is a hint for you, call over seas, you have an echo or lag, your on voip. Just hang up and call back if its a loved one and you will most likely get a better line. If its business and you have to wait in a queue, just have patience.

As for the issues with TPG, sometimes you need to check on the reputation of the company your customer service will be with. They also own IINET which I use for my internet and the customer service has become shocking over the last 5 years. I am glad I have training in IT to fix my own issues as I find that their revolving door or techs makes it hard to get accurate service and I spend way too many hours doing their trouble shooting when I already told them I did it.

I hope your issues get sorted out quicky.

Is it asking too much in Australia to speak with someone who can speak the language clearly and understand same, when looking for service?

It's common knowledge that most businesses now outsource their customer service to call centres overseas. I am with TPG for my internet and they have been amazing. I always get put through to people in Manila but they are very respectful, speak perfect English and are always accommodating to what I need. Very odd that you copped that with TPG.

Know what is pissing me off right now? I have a card up on ebay that sells for much more than what I am asking and someone comes in with a bid of 30% of the selling price.

I tried to explain that to him and he still keeps upping the anti by $1.00 and every time I send him the same results. He has bought from me in the past but taking a hit of $40.00 is not in my price range.

I'm trying to not get annoyed but Grrrrr....

Know what is pissing me off right now? I have a card up on ebay that sells for much more than what I am asking and someone comes in with a bid of 30% of the selling price.

I tried to explain that to him and he still keeps upping the anti by $1.00 and every time I send him the same results. He has bought from me in the past but taking a hit of $40.00 is not in my price range.

I'm trying to not get annoyed but Grrrrr....
When I first started buying on eBay I was a bit silly and tried to get some good deals by lowballing offers.

This one seller then increased the price on his last counter offer.

I learnt my lesson 😏

Seriously - why do people go to the effort of posting something in the ‘Wanted’ thread - receiving numerous responses with exactly what they ‘wanted’ only to never reply to any of them?

Each to their own - but I don’t understand the thought process.

Can anyone help me understand…???

Depends what the offer entails.

I've had people reply with things they've had I'm after, but at around twice the price I think they're worth, and really not keen on a negotiation from that pricepoint down.

Another issue might be that I'm after 10 things, and Person X has 2 of them, and lives on the other side of the country.

Given there's not a huge amount of difference in postage for 2 items to 10, I'd rather wait for someone with more of what I'm after or even someone I can pick up from locally, rather than pay an additional $15 for postage.

Yeah that makes sense. But I’m talking about ones where lots of people post pics (without prices) and try to start discussions and no reply.

Some of mine say “PM me if interested”.

So I guess of course they just might not be interested.

So maybe it’s just a courtesy thing.

If someone bothered to post in reply to something I ‘wanted’ I’d give them the courtesy of a thank you message and advise them I’m not interested in taking further.

So maybe that’s what bugs me - the lack of common courtesy.

Yeah that makes sense. But I’m talking about ones where lots of people post pics (without prices) and try to start discussions and no reply.

Some of mine say “PM me if interested”.

So I guess of course they just might not be interested.

So maybe it’s just a courtesy thing.

If someone bothered to post in reply to something I ‘wanted’ I’d give them the courtesy of a thank you message and advise them I’m not interested in taking further.

So maybe that’s what bugs me - the lack of common courtesy.
I think it's as simple as this.
Social media brought people together, yet at the same time disconnected people.
I'll give you an example and relate it to this situation. If I'm at a card show and someone comes to my table and says "I'm looking for (x), do you have it?" What follows? "Yes, I have it, it's $20", they then say "ok thanks anyway" and walk off or they buy it. That's real life communication. In internet land, they don't have to say anything because they are hiding behind their screen and can just pick and choose who they talk to.
That is why I don't do business via chat, text message or anything like that anymore. It's video call or in-person meetups now.

Back
Top Bottom