Things that piss me off

Ok - this annoyed me today…

Last night I was the highest bidder on a Giddey Heir Apparent Rookie Auto /25.

Was happy I got it at a good price.

Woke up this morning to this:

6E2063F2-B32D-42A6-B322-09901F988CFF.jpeg

When I politely asked for the “please explain” - he/she responded with:

“Due to card not reaching its reserve I am cancelling the order”.

Hmmmm…that’s not great…

Hmmmm…that’s not great…
Consulting the ‘Wise Ones’…

What would you guys value this card at? $$AUD

Trying to work out:

a) was my ‘winning bid’ simply too good to be true?

Or

b) was the ‘reserve’ expectation simply miles too high?

672C9561-D8D2-457B-B454-95DB743B5AD3.jpeg

@Paul_Ambrey - I understand you. Me? I'm on the pension too. For the Ashfield show I had taken $240 for cards. Been saving for the last few pays. Ended up spending about $150 roughly. The only card I paid for was for a dual signature of 2 NBA players the guy it to me for $25. Just waiting for the next Ashfield Show or the Newcastle Show. The most I've paid for is a soccer card and I'd paid $100 this was an ebay transaction last year. I got my first one touch case. Never seen them in person until Ashfield.

Hmmmm…that’s not great…
Same thing happened to me this morning.

Worst thing is I can’t leave any feedback, so these pricks get to continue on with a 100% record.

Yeah it’s such poor form.

I sold a card the other day where I guess I got it wrong. Thought it was valuable and thought I’d get a lot of attention. Started the auction low expecting to get great exposure etc etc.

No one even viewed it and then a guy snapped it up for a steal with 2 seconds to go.

My response - send him a message saying “nice work - I reckon you snapped that one up for a good price - well played sir”.

Very different mentality…

Hmmmm…that’s not great…

If I want a certain price for a card, I start the bidding at THAT PRICE. Is it so hard for others to do that?

I'm continually being shocked how cards are posted these days. Are toploaders not a thing anymore?
Of the last 8 orders on ebay only two sellers bothered to topload the card and only one used a padded mailer.

I'm kinda blown away by it. These are not small sellers 5000 feedback etc. One bloke even put all 4 cards in one penny sleeve( total value of cards $24) and white envelope, lol. Another guy did the same thing except he put the two cards in individual sleeves( total of cards $35) plus cereal box paper padding and white envelope.

It's no wonder I don't sell many cards - people clearly love their $1.2 postage and don't give a rats about the potential damage to the card in transit.

I charge $3.2( $2.4 for stamps because it's a bubble mailer) but the cards are sleeved, toploaded, and teambag and then between two bits of cardboard. Folks are clearly not impresed with the $3.2. I refuse to do the white envelope no toploader on principle. When I came back into cards I was told that the way I do it now was the standard - seems not. It's a jungle out there.

I got one yesterday where the card ( in a penny sleeve and teambag) was taped down onto one piece of card board - not in between two pieces just onto one piece, and the good old white envelope. If I'm buying a card worth more than $5 I want that thing toploaded. I get it if it's bulk 30+ cards then you have to get inventive and limit the plastic due to weight concerns but this stuff lately is frankly depressing.

In fact it's starting to piss me off.

If I was to estimate how many top loaders I have. I'd probably have over 1,600 top loaders. Not all used by cards. They'll be there for when I need them.

I'm continually being shocked how cards are posted these days. Are toploaders not a thing anymore?
Of the last 8 orders on ebay only two sellers bothered to topload the card and only one used a padded mailer.

I'm kinda blown away by it. These are not small sellers 5000 feedback etc. One bloke even put all 4 cards in one penny sleeve( total value of cards $24) and white envelope, lol. Another guy did the same thing except he put the two cards in individual sleeves( total of cards $35) plus cereal box paper padding and white envelope.

It's no wonder I don't sell many cards - people clearly love their $1.2 postage and don't give a rats about the potential damage to the card in transit.

I charge $3.2( $2.4 for stamps because it's a bubble mailer) but the cards are sleeved, toploaded, and teambag and then between two bits of cardboard. Folks are clearly not impresed with the $3.2. I refuse to do the white envelope no toploader on principle. When I came back into cards I was told that the way I do it now was the standard - seems not. It's a jungle out there.

I got one yesterday where the card ( in a penny sleeve and teambag) was taped down onto one piece of card board - not in between two pieces just onto one piece, and the good old white envelope. If I'm buying a card worth more than $5 I want that thing toploaded. I get it if it's bulk 30+ cards then you have to get inventive and limit the plastic due to weight concerns but this stuff lately is frankly depressing.

In fact it's starting to piss me off.

Spot on.
The only thing that differs for me is that I send every single thing with tracking, regardless of how much it's worth. It costs me $9.20 every time but it's protected correctly, in a padded mailer and tracked in case Aus Post stuff up for the 100th time a year.

I used to do that but my cheapest card was $15. I've relented and now send anything between $4 and $14 via unregistered. I dare say I could sell a lot of cards in the $1-$5 range if I went the $1.20 white envelope route but it just feels wrong.

Back
Top Bottom