The Grading Thread (PSA, BGS, SGC, CSG, HGA, ETC, ETC)

Iron Clad Lou

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Luke
I am sick of piggybacking of existing threads kinda linked to grading....so I will start "The Grading Thread"

Just got notification of my July 2022 - PSA special grading coming back after only THREE MONTHS!
Will post once they're in my hand.

Also sent another bunch including my first BGS lot, so equally excited for that.

Last edited:
Yeah I would hope they don't upcharge you until the last possible minute and not guess before lol

It's good but I was thinking March next year - I sent off 30 cards thinking I had time to get funds together again after my Top 100 chase - oops!

Ditto. I got a shock with the invoice, considering i have another 10 cards (500 and 200 vintage) close to returning.

22 PSA and 5 BGS out the door yesterday...expecting that to be a few months

What is upcharging ?

Q17. What is an upcharge?

A17. If you declare the value of a card as $750 and submit it on the Economy service (which as a maximum value of $999 per card) and it comes back as a PSA 10 that is valued at $2000, you would be charged for the card at the $2000 service level (currently $175). One way to think about this is that you now have a $2000 card instead of the $750 card you thought you had, so the extra money is worth it.

https://threestarssportscards.com/pages/psa-grading-tips-tricks-and-frequently-asked-questions

Haha they have enough trouble identifying authentic cards and sigs, let alone slab sub10 grade cards as 10’s… for the ‘upcharge’ incentive! Laughing all the way to the bank.

Haha they have enough trouble identifying authentic cards and sigs, let alone slab sub10 grade cards as 10’s… for the ‘upcharge’ incentive! Laughing all the way to the bank.
I never thought about it in this way!

It is in PSA's best interest to grade the card as high as possible as this will result in more cash in their pockets. So if a card is borderline 9 or 10, I bet it gets a 10.

Q17. What is an upcharge?

A17. If you declare the value of a card as $750 and submit it on the Economy service (which as a maximum value of $999 per card) and it comes back as a PSA 10 that is valued at $2000, you would be charged for the card at the $2000 service level (currently $175). One way to think about this is that you now have a $2000 card instead of the $750 card you thought you had, so the extra money is worth it.

https://threestarssportscards.com/pages/psa-grading-tips-tricks-and-frequently-asked-questions

Do they refund you if your card decreases in price after up-charging you?

Back
Top Bottom