The Australian cricket non-official thread!

Solid first up win for the Bulls, lots of solid contributors.

I feel Maxy batting at 3 had a huge opportunity to put his head down, bat long and give Vic a chance at victory. Instead he squandered it earlyish with an ordinary lofted pull

Steven Finn has been ruled out of the Ashes with a torn left knee cartilage after hitting his knee with his bat in batting practice!

So has anyone's XI for the Gabba Test changed based on the first two rounds of Shield games? Mine has.

1. David Warner
2. Shaun Marsh
3. Usman Khawaja
4. Steve Smith
5. Peter Handscomb
6. Glenn Maxwell
7. Cameron Bancroft
8. Mitchell Starc
9. Pat Cummins
10. Josh Hazlewood
11. Nathan Lyon

Compared to the team I posted on here before the Shield matches, Renshaw and Cartwright have come out for S Marsh and Maxwell respectively.

Renshaw is really struggling and I don't think it will do him or the team any good to carry him into an Ashes series while he's like this. All the great batsmen were dropped at some stage in their Test careers, so it's by no means a bad sign for his future! It's hard to see Cartwright being picked after his pair against NSW, and Maxwell seems to be in reasonable form so he probably deserves first crack at this stage.

Thoughts?

I reckon you’ve got it pretty well sussed mate.

I now think that selectors will prefer the experience of Shaun Marsh to open with Warner, which in my own opinion represents dreadful treatment of young Renshaw. Matthew Hayden was a long way short of being an overnight sensation at Test level - although he in fairness he did have to compete with Michael Slater in those early years before successfully partnering Justin Langer.

Bancroft’s runs against our Test bowling attack can only enhance his prospects....however the Test wicket-keeping position has been a real poisoned chalice of late. I think Matthew Wade will hold his place, as his keeping in India was really good. Like in the Renshaw/Marsh scenario, I reckon the selectors will prefer the experienced man to young bucks like Bancroft and Carey.

I wrote previously about the responsibility Maxwell needs to adopt if he is to be a consistent Test batsman. I’m not convinced that he has it in him for an entire series, but even two or three “specials” could turn first innings scores of 250 into 300+. This looks like being a series that will belong to the bowlers, so maybe Maxy is worth the punt?

There will be enormous pressure on whatever XI is chosen - Australia have only lost one home Ashes series in the last thirty years since Mike Gattings’s 1986-87 tour.

I reckon you’ve got it pretty well sussed mate.

I now think that selectors will prefer the experience of Shaun Marsh to open with Warner, which in my own opinion represents dreadful treatment of young Renshaw. Matthew Hayden was a long way short of being an overnight sensation at Test level - although he in fairness he did have to compete with Michael Slater in those early years before successfully partnering Justin Langer.

Bancroft’s runs against our Test bowling attack can only enhance his prospects....however the Test wicket-keeping position has been a real poisoned chalice of late. I think Matthew Wade will hold his place, as his keeping in India was really good. Like in the Renshaw/Marsh scenario, I reckon the selectors will prefer the experienced man to young bucks like Bancroft and Carey.

I wrote previously about the responsibility Maxwell needs to adopt if he is to be a consistent Test batsman. I’m not convinced that he has it in him for an entire series, but even two or three “specials” could turn first innings scores of 250 into 300+. This looks like being a series that will belong to the bowlers, so maybe Maxy is worth the punt?

There will be enormous pressure on whatever XI is chosen - Australia have only lost one home Ashes series in the last thirty years since Mike Gattings’s 1986-87 tour.
I hate to say it but I feel like Cricket Australia won't go for the experienced selection and will instead pick some younger players, supposedly looking to the future. I think that this is quite sad looking at the treatment Michael Klinger, Ed Cowan, Tim Paine and Cameron White have received in the past few rounds of shield.

DOU3ro9VoAERDpq.jpg
DOU2ayUUMAEq8x_.jpg

http://www.cricket.com.au/video/ell...ton-australia-england-womens-ashes/2017-11-11

Congratulations to Ellyse Perry, who today reached her maiden international century! What a wonderful player and role model she is.

Back
Top Bottom