The Australian cricket non-official thread!

Would have liked to see Henriques given a go ahead of Mitchell Marsh.

Burns also unlucky not to get in with his hundred in the shield game. Good replacement if any injuries in the series.
While Burns was probably a little unlucky, Shaun Marsh would've been even unluckier if he missed out for Burns after two centuries in his last two Tests and a fifty and a ton in the Shield game. Hopefully he can continue his great form against South Africa.

Bowlers aren't picked as a batter , if the top 6-7 can't score runs than they shouldn't be playing, bowlers take wickets pretty simple

Wickets, Not Runs, More Important !

Australian great Allan Border has told the media that, while he understands the reasoning behind Joe Mennie's shock selection call-up over Jackson Bird, he doesn't agree with the strategy behind.

The bombshell was dropped yesterday when the Redbacks quick Mennie was selected over Tassie seamer Bird in Australia's Test squad, with selector Rod Marsh suggesting that that decision was made due to Mennie being a stronger batter.

"If there's no difference in your mind about their wicket-taking potential and one bats better than the other, then yes, you're probably going to err on the batting side of the equation," Border told foxsports.com.au. "So I sort of understand it."

However, Border stressed that that can not be the selection theme in future matches to come, saying that bowlers are picked to take wickets.

"We really shouldn't be thinking along those terms, about how good our bowlers are as batsmen," Border said.

"It should be about who gives us the best chance of taking 20 wickets, not how many runs he might score down the order.

"Does that mean you don't pick Glenn McGrath because he's not going to feature much with the bat?"

You need:
6 bats
1 WK
4 bowlers

And two of the batsmen should bowl a bit, and one of the bowlers should handle the bat a bit.

The wicketkeeper should be a technically proficient keeper and if they bat a bit and contribute, so be it. Rod Marsh used to only chime in. Healy the same. They could handle a bat but they weren't considered batsmen. Since Gilchrist the obsession is to have an explosive bat play keeper. And since Flintoff, Australia has been shoe horning a bloke in at six as an 'all rounder'.

I think the Rod Marsh quote (and for many reasons I'm the last person who jumps to his defence on any cricket matter) has been taken out of context to be honest. I think what he meant in essence is that the Mennie vs Bird selection was a 50/50 call on bowling ability and form. Joe Mennie's advantage is that he could bat at number eight if needed, whereas Jackson Bird would find himself last man in.

You (in theory) could end up with a very useful tail of Mennie/Siddle, Starc, Lyon and Hazlewood. I think that the series against South Africa will be one where lower-order runs will be like gold dust, as you could easily see both attacks tearing through the opposing top order at different stages.

Jeepers, I hope Mitchell Marsh has a good WACA Test. A batting average of 24.00 after 29 Test innings from the relative comfort of No. 6 and a bowling average of 36.33 are numbers that he should aim to reverse by the end of his Australian career. I really like him as a cricketer and he seems like a nice young bloke who takes failure very seriously. @The Mad Hatter I'd like to see Mitch adopt the role Freddie did at The Oval against South Africa in 2003 when he just went BANG!! See ball, hit ball would be my advice. I remember a line from Ian Chappell regarding Doug Walters, where he basically told Doug that if he comes in at 4 for not-much and gets out early playing an aggressive shot, there'll be no kick in the arse from him. "It's the fault of the top order for MAKING us 4 for not-much to begin with!".

It should be a tremendous summer of Test Match fast bowling, what with Australia, South Africa and Pakistan's pace-laden line-ups. Runs will be at a premium - unless of course we see the "return of the road" that plagued the last two home summers (the Adelaide Oval pink ball Test aside).

Well, what a remarkable finish in the Bangladesh vs England Test! Set 273 to win, England reached 0/100 at tea on day three....and have lost all ten wickets for the addition of 64 runs in the final session. Young off-spinner Mehedi Hasan took 6/77 in the second innings, as part of a match haul of 12/159. He now joins five other players in Test history to have taken 3 five wicket hauls in their first two Test matches.

Well, what a remarkable finish in the Bangladesh vs England Test! Set 273 to win, England reached 0/100 at tea on day three....and have lost all ten wickets for the addition of 64 runs in the final session. Young off-spinner Mehedi Hasan took 6/77 in the second innings, as part of a match haul of 12/159. He now joins five other players in Test history to have taken 3 five wicket hauls in their first two Test matches.
Mehedi Hasan is definitely going to be one to keep an eye on. 19 wickets in your first two Tests isn't bad! There's so many spinners dominating on the sub-continent at the moment; Mehedi Hasan, Yasir Shah, Rangana Herath, Ravi Ashwin...

Simply brilliant start to the summer from the Aussies. Bowled and fielded extremely well to restrict South Africa, then Warner and S Marsh worked very well together at the end of the day to put the Aussies in a very strong position.

I am bit "proceed with caution" after yesterday @Scotty_WCE mate! The first hour today might set the Test up either way. I wonder whether South Africa will bowl the "outside off stump" defensive line with fields to match, or will they go all-out attack first up? When on the back foot they are conservative by nature - Warner and Marsh hold the key today I think.

The advantage of Test cricket in Perth for us interstate is that you get to see half a days worth when you get home from work. However, I would prefer the bloody over rate to be better. That was inexcusable yesterday from Australia.

Well, Warner and Marsh certainly did their bit. Unfortunately Australia's batting frailties resurfaced once again, probably condemning the home team to (at best) a chase of 260-300 in the fourth innings. Love him or loathe him, the Warner record is remarkable. He has 38 scores of 50+ from his 101 Test innings (16 x 100, 22 x 50) and an average of just on 49.

For the misty-eyed amongst us, it is of course ten years (2006/07) since the first of two modern-day whitewashes of England on home soil. Australia's top seven in that first Test: Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Martyn, Hussey, Clarke and Gilchrist. Now that WAS a batting line-up!! Living in the past certainly makes the present easier to cope with :)

Back
Top Bottom