St Kilda 2007 Season Official Thread

mattyj

Multi-Player Collector
Real Name
Matty
Will post up match reviews and other news involving the mighty saints, also a place for people to talk about all things involving the saints

good win by the Saints tonight, they ran & tackled very hard. Put Melbourne under alot of pressure and should have won by alot more had it not been for bad kicking.

ROUND 1; Defeat Melbourne by 31 Points
St Kilda 13-15-93
Melbourne 9-8-62

Gehrig 4 Goals, Baker and Koschitzke 2 Goals

Despite terrible kicking both at goal and around the ground, the saints still manage to win the season opener

afl.com.au match review

The uncertainty that surrounds a rookie senior coach and a lengthy injury list during the off-season meant there were question marks over the Saints coming into the season.

And Melbourne looked ready to add to those doubts when they started the stronger to take an eight-point lead into the first change.

But while Ball was able to return to the game in the second term with his head wrapped in a bandage, Whelan was forced to stay on the bench for the night.

Neitz kicked the opening goal of the season, seven minutes into the game.

But after Demons ruckman Jeff White opened the second term with his 100th AFL goal in his 200th match, extending the lead to 14 points, the Saints took control.

They kicked the next five goals, with Robertson's freakish snap reducing the margin to 10 points at the main break.

St Kilda kicked 4.5 to two behinds in the third term and its inaccuracy was the only reason Melbourne was barely in the match at the last break, trailing by 37 points.

Melbourne was too reliant on handball in the first three quarters, but was more direct in the last quarter and pulled to within four goals before St Kilda closed out the game.

that was a disgusting performance from the dees friday night, over use of the handball, players gone missing, back line got destroyed are just a few things that went wrong. The only highlights from a demons point of view was robbo's goal of the year contender, whelan's massive hip and shoulder but he ended up coming off 2nd best and the return of moloney. I expect we will bounce back we never really start well anyway as we were 0-4 last year and came 5th with chances to finish top 4, so still early days but we have till monday to make some Big changes.
The real low light though, even more so than losing was the Brock McLean injury. The guy is a superstar but has had more than his fair share of injuries over the past 3 years. He is really frustrated with his injuries and so he should because he is easily one of our top 3 players.

ROUND 2; Defeated by Brisbane by 52 Points
St Kilda 7-8-50
Brisbane 15-12-102

A terrible performance by the saints, they showed no heart, no commitment and were thoroughly outplayed by brisbane

Fox Sports Match Report

April 05, 2007 ON a night when Brisbane Lions provided an emotional farewell for retired skipper Michael Voss, the former AFL powerhouse rekindled memories of its glory years in a dominant victory over St Kilda.

Glimpses of Brisbane's years at the top were flashed on the Gabba big screen as a tribute to three-time premiership captain Voss before the new-look Lions provided their own highlights reel in a 15.12 (102) to 7.8 (50) upset over the highly fancied Saints.

the lions played exactly how the saints played against melbourne. lions were harder at the ball than the sainters, thats all.

I always knew the Saints were gonna lose last night. So over-rated with the Melbourne victory last week. I actually feel Brisbane were under-rated at the start of this year. The way it's going someone like Essendon will be the highest ranked Victorian club.

We should just close this thread now and put the Saints supporters out of their misery (tic)(lol):lol:

ROUND 3; Defeat Western Bulldogs by 50 Points
St Kilda 17-14-116
Western Bulldogs 9-12-56

A great performance by the saints this week after the terrible showing against the lions the week before. They beat the bulldogs at their own game, hard running and tackling

afl.com.au Match Report

A potent attack, a hard working and creative midfield lead by a seasoned veteran and enthusiastic youngsters, and a defence that not only defends but attacks, proved to be the difference between both teams.

With Ball, Maguire and Hudghton still to return and Riewoldt and Hayes still being nursed back from injury, the Saints have plenty to look forward to in the weeks ahead.

PS: sorry for late write up, have been working very hard this week! :(

while you got that one up, how about putting up todays review. Bloody saints cost me in tipping i got 2-3 so far and i predicted the 32 point margin exactly on friday night. :thumbsup:

They were terrible again, i dont understand why they didnt play the way they did against the dogs :( although our backline was severely undermanned, no Hudghton, no Maguire and we lost Sam Fisher early.....

Back
Top Bottom