Sporting heroes get away with it?

wolvesjr34

Morrow Super Collector
Real Name
AJ
eBay User
wolvesjr34
After hearing today that Ben Cousins only received a fine, and NO criminal record for running from a booze bus... (when any mere mortal would have had a criminal record for that action)

it got me thinking how being a sports star.... tends to get you off stuff... ie OJ and Kobe... (not that I am saying they are guilty, cos obvously not in jail now) but... you know bit iffy looking....

and numerous others... it really bothers me!

Any thoughts??

What did you expect to happen. As in the wrong as he was, he probably did a smart thing running, after all he was only likely to get a fine all along, if he'd got stopped by the booze bus he would have had got a fine, a lost licence, and just as much bad press as he got because he ran.

I don't condone his actions, but as it turns out what he did left him better off than driving to the booze bus would have.

For the record, I don't think him being a sporting identity changed anything about his sentencing.

Hmmm perhaps... he porbably got the correcdt fine etcetera but he had the cirminal record that should have come with it squashed... which is unfair. At least in my opinion....

AS a leader tho... he should have owned up to his actions and taken the breath test if he had of been pulled over.... what he did was suggest it is okay to run from the booze bus.... of course we all know he doens't condone his own actions either.... but it bothers me that sports players just get away with it all the darn time!

(when any mere mortal would have had a criminal record for that action)
I'm not sure if that's right.
Technically it's a traffic offence, so it wouldn't be a criminal conviction, and not necessarily something a conviction would be recorded on.
I've dealt with quite a few people who have done that.
And the results are fairly similar to what Cousins got.
As Bargey suggested, he would have been in more trouble had he been caught by Police - even after running, and then refsued to submit to a breath analysis test.

I hear what you are saying though Wolves.
I think that sometimes sports stars get more lenient penalties because they can afford better Counsel, and can put a lot of material to the Court about positive stuff that they may do in the community.

Having said that I think the Cousins penalty was fair.

hmmm okay.... well... I find it ODD then that the media would highlight the fact that his record was kept clean... very strange.... but hey not to say media is always right, nor that I am....

but yeah th emain jist is meant to be the way they seem to gett away with it, and it isn't always tio do with affording good counsel either...

especially trials with juries!! whose is gonna lock up an NBA superstar??? etctera... lol

lockymac said:
You know one sporting 'hero' who I bet WOULD get convicted by a jury.....
Jana Pitman!

LMAO - yeah you are too right there!

Do not think Jana knows the meaning of public relations...

I have been a believer in this for quite some time.. however i will admit with NBA players i dont mind as they DO a lot of work in and around their community.. however i dont remember too many afl or nrl players or clubs(bulldogs im looking your way) going out on a limb to help out in thier respective community...

lockymac said:
You know one sporting 'hero' who I bet WOULD get convicted by a jury.....
Jana Pitman!

LOL love the use of the quotation on hero hahaha niice

Agree with Locky. It's no so much that they get leniency - but rather they can afford better representation...

I disagree there JayC. A lot of the AFL guys in SA do a heap of charity/community work. For example, Port Power have done a day's work, with approx $10000 donation, in building up charit houses like Ronald McDonald House. Done that at least the last 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom