Should a Sports Memorabilia collector care about a small debt

Jacob Rushbrook

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Jacob
eBay User
petepunter2011
Hi,
I have recently got into sports memorabilia over the last few years and have a few items.
There is a very rare signed MMA glove going for $300 or best offer at the moment I desperately want it for my collection but I would have to put it on my credit card with a additional $200 debt I have from a purchase this week from NFL auctions
Basically I should have no problem financially paying this $500 off in 5 months interest free and I really want the signed glove for my collection.
But I have always liked to stay well out of debt all my life.
Whats your thoughts? as I am sure some of you have been in the same situation with things you collect
you only live once and go for it
Or dont purchase more than you have in your bank account

Let me give you a little bit of advice when it comes to credit cards. Unless you have a LOT of self control, then I advise you to NOT start charging non-critical stuff to them. Sure it may be ok as you say, but if you don't have a lot of self control you may find yourself doing it more and more often and things will start to get out of control.

I totally agree with all opinions so far
The reason I originally got a credit card years ago was to get a cash advance so I get get a shitty tattoo I had done in my youth covered up with a half sleeve by a big name USA artist that was visiting sydney for 6 weeks.
I ended up paying over $1500 interest in 3 years at 22percent and learnt my lesson then even though I love the tattoo i got done.
I learnt a hard lesson then and only use the card for emergencies and remain debt free.
I came across Official Pride glove signed by Dan Henderson for $300 or best offer still waiting for a response on whats the best price he will settle for.
I live with my folks at the moment and I used to have a big weed habit that I have since given up and saves me alot of cash on a weekly basis my expenditures are usually limited unless I go all out like I have this week with good buys that I got for my collection.
My expenditures are pretty limited to $150 a month for broadband and mobile phone plan and I live quite thrifty hence I think I would have no problem paying $100 a month for 5 months before the interest rate kicks in.
I think the Pride gloves are very rare and have a high collector value and would be very hard to find again.
As I said I learnt my lesson in the past and definately wont be putting down more than $500 on the card any thoughts on adding the glove the reason I have to put it on the card is I got a awesome deal 9 signed MMA gloves and a Signed Boxing glove all for just under $400 posted and went through most of this weeks pay and I like to keep a few hundred in my account in case of emergencies I probably dont need another glove but the Hendo is a gem of a find

edit: I thought long and hard while I was out tonight and decided to go against it as its not worth it just for glove value especially the price without certification when I can get the same auto on a UFC Fan Glove for $240 cheaper

I was offered two decent gloves of fighters that I wanted at very decent price and decided just to dig into my savings a bit more and cut down on buying over the next month and save to get some of my many items framed say1 frame a month hence leaving me with only a small $200 debt from NFL Auctions which will be a walk in the park to pay off

Back
Top Bottom